• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Boy is lodging getting expensive!

BobbyB26

We have a 10day run coming up here in Sept and I've been happily lost in "planning world". I started to add up costs for the trip and was somewhat surprised how much the cost/day had gone up over the past year alone. When I took a closer look at the numbers, prices have gone up across the board, but lodging seems to be a little out of control right now. I'm routinely seeing price points 50% higher than just a couple of years ago. Maybe it's just our area of the county, but it's got me looking for "creative" options....

So, to get a decent hotel room (I've stayed in a few skanky joints where I felt like I needed to leave my riding gear on!....not so much again....gotta have some standards!) is going to be well over $100/night....most of the time more than that. Seems like anytime you get below this amount, things get dicey pretty quick. I can see sprinkling motel stays into my trip, but 9 nights worth is puttin on a hurt'in.

I've looked at staying at cabins too. Seems allot of campgrounds have them anymore but there are a couple of major drawbacks. Usually they require a minimum of 2 or 3 nights stay. So if you are just passing through, cabins aren't an option. If you can stay in one place for more than one night, then there's the cost. They really aren't that much cheaper than a hotel. Checking with my local KOA they have basic cabin (by basic I mean that it is a tent with hard walls) and that is going for almost $90/night. They also have deluxe cabins with all amenities, but it is in the $120/night range....ouch on either! I'm not seeing either being a good option.

Ok, how about throwing up a tent. Back to the KOA again and we are looking at $40/night....ouch again. I'm not arguing that they don't need to charge that amount as they are in business to make money, but having to shell out that amount to throw up a tent hurts. You may be able to find a slightly less expensive site at a private campground, but those prices aren't far behind.....

I say all of that to say this- I've often looked at my back yard and thought that it would make a great motorcycle camp spot. In the county with a large field behind the lawn. Plenty of room to set up lots of tents. I've included a picBack yard.jpg of the fire pit, hot tub and back deck that peeps can use. Also have a shop with a motorcycle lift, bathroom and even a kitchen. If I have something like this to offer others, are there others in areas I'm headed towards that can offer the same? I'm not thinking this is a great money making venture, but rather a way to help out fellow riders keep costs down. Something like $20/night....add a few if you want to use the kitchen....shop...etc.... I'm guessing the anonymous book was intended to be somewhat like this, but I think it has to be taken to the next step and we could get serious about networking it. Does this idea have any merit?

My wife was asking about needing to entertain all the time? I don't see it unfolding anything like that. Most motorcyclist I hang with just need a place to crash out for the night and are gone again. They usually eat out, but even when they do prepare their own meals, they keep it pretty simple. They pretty much entertain themselves. If we can flesh out some of the issues do you think this is worthy of asking MOA to facilitate as an extension of the anonymous book?

Why does it have to be an extension of the Anonymous Book? The book already lists people that have a spare room or camping space. When you travel, why don't you look for places to stay within the book?

If you want to attract more people to your house (a very nice place) have you looked at some of the existing sites.

Motorcycle Travel Network http://www.motorcycle-travel.net/page_1/motorcycle-travel-travel-by-motorcycle

Bike Stay http://www.bike-stay.net

And airbnb is not just for motorcyclists, however I use it for a lot of my travel now. https://www.airbnb.com

Ahhh...didn't know about these sites. I'll check more into this.

About associating it with the anonymous book?- My thinking here is that most MOA members I've met are decent people that I'd trust to be around. I can't say that for all riders.... Trying to figure out how to keep the rabble rousers at bay?

I know that peeps in the AB offer camping, but is this being effectively utilized? Maybe some of you with some experience here can chime in and let us know if this is working or not?

Ahhh...didn't know about these sites. I'll check more into this.

About associating it with the anonymous book?- My thinking here is that most MOA members I've met are decent people that I'd trust to be around. I can't say that for all riders.... Trying to figure out how to keep the rabble rousers at bay?

I know that peeps in the AB offer camping, but is this being effectively utilized? Maybe some of you with some experience here can chime in and let us know if this is working or not?

Please do check them out. Motorcycle travel net advertises in the BMW ON. Page 86 of the current issue.

I find KOA is always high in price. Look for the smaller Mom and Pop type camp sites. There are still sites around for $20.00 or less (no hook ups)
Good luck.

I use an app on my iPhone which lists campgrounds and RV sites and provides prices and ratings. I often find cheap Mom and Pops that way as well as county fairgrounds or city parks. Usually end up paying in the $20 to $25 night range.

And there's always dispersed camping in the national forests, at least for now.

Definitely search out the locally owned campgrounds. They usually come across as lacking any sense of humour but once you talk to them you generally get treated very well. Clean showers and quiet relaxing sites. What more do you need?

Definitely search out the locally owned campgrounds. They usually come across as lacking any sense of humour but once you talk to them you generally get treated very well. Clean showers and quiet relaxing sites. What more do you need?

And in your neck of the woods you may need to speak a little French! :laugh
We found out a couple years back when trying the smaller campsites...all ended well with my stupid but effective sign language as the two young ladies in the office shrugged when I asked if they had any sites and prices.

I use an app on my iPhone which lists campgrounds and RV sites and provides prices and ratings. I often find cheap Mom and Pops that way as well as county fairgrounds or city parks. Usually end up paying in the $20 to $25 night range.

And there's always dispersed camping in the national forests, at least for now.

Could you share which app you are using for campsite location? I would be interested in an app that has been proven to be effective.

I've always had great luck with camping in the U.S. National Forest campgrounds:

http://www.forestcamping.com

They typically run around $15-$20 per day...if you're traveling with a buddy, the sites are large enough to accommodate at least two tents (usually even more) so the per person cost is very reasonable. Campgrounds have toilets and running water, but usually not a shower. Because they're located in National Forests, they're usually quite beautiful sites. They're also frequently located on bodies of water (rivers or lakes) so it's pretty nice to soak after a long day in the saddle.

ended well with my stupid but effective sign language as the two young ladies in the office shrugged when I asked if they had any sites and prices.

Let me guess.......Two hands forward with one thumb in both sides of the bill pocket of your wallet...........:)

This is great info, thanks everyone. I spent a lot of nights over the last 6 weeks/10,000 miles in Motel 6, which range in quality from meh to decent. A surprising number of people appear to live in them, as in they'd be homeless if they weren't staying there. They are clean enough and have bathrooms with hot showers which is all I really need. I took everything inside with me and never covered my bike, only once was it obvious someone had been messing with the bike (high beams on, mirrors maladjusted) as no one is interested in a dirty GSA.

I'm still curious to see if a significant amount of peeps out there are successfully using the AB for low/no cost camping? I mean...isn't that what it's supposed to be able to offer?

I'm sort of playing a hunch here in that I don't think folks are utilizing the AB book for this feature. I know peeps offer it up, but is it being put into practice? Seems like this is a fantastic benefit in that the camper can stay in a trust worthy place economically, and the host get to meet new fellow riders....to me, half the fun is getting to meet and know new friends....

I'm still curious to see if a significant amount of peeps out there are successfully using the AB for low/no cost camping? I mean...isn't that what it's supposed to be able to offer?

I'm sort of playing a hunch here in that I don't think folks are utilizing the AB book for this feature. I know peeps offer it up, but is it being put into practice? Seems like this is a fantastic benefit in that the camper can stay in a trust worthy place economically, and the host get to meet new fellow riders....to me, half the fun is getting to meet and know new friends....

We are in the book. Work space, camping space, spare bed space, tools, parts, shops space, etc. We have had a few takers for a place to stay over the past 30 years, but not many - maybe 3 or 4. More often it is folks who know we are that stop by for a chat and we ask them if they need a place to stay. A few a year of that.

I don't think that is the intent of the AB. From the book:

"While the services offered are first and foremost for emergency situations, there may be the times when you simply need advice or a place to change your oil. Please state whether an emergency exists or not. And while the socializing with other BMW MOA members can be a legitimate reason for calling a number in the book, it is the caller's responsibility to be sensitive to and aware of the individual limits to that socializing, as presented by the host.
The following are the codes used in the Anonymous phone listings. The Anonymous Emergency Help System has no "Bed & Breakfast" component. Therefore we ask that all members avoid using the system in this way. While there will always be gracious members of the BMW MOA who are willing to allow the use of a spare bedroom or sheltered bedroll space, the request to be able to use this space should always be regarded as a seldom used privilege, rather than a less expensive way to cross the country!"

So if the the campground I intended to use has been washed away, the next nearest available campsite is two hours away, the hotels are full, and the sun is going down, I might pull out the book.

Back