• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Considering a used 2007 K1200GT

kentuvman

Once upon a time, I test rode a K1200GT at the Gillette WY in 2008 rally and loved it. Bought a 1987 K75s instead and have owned it for the past 8 years and have put @30k on her. She's a great ride and wish BMW would make a new and improved K75 but not holding my breath. The only reservation is this bike is @ 100# heavier than what I currently ride.

The bike for sale has @32,000 miles. Asking price @$7k - understand there were some issues with cam chain gear and don't think this issue was addressed. Just wondering what I need to be aware of. If it's made anywhere close to my K75s I'd think it's made pretty bulletproof.

Thanks,

Ken

PS - read a thread on this forum shown below - @ how much would a dealer charge to perform upgrade to camchain tensioner and jump guard? How easy to DIY?

The camchain tensioner and jump guard are a needed upgrade and most likely done. The tensioner is located on top of the block above the clutch cover. The original is a flat plate with a clamp for the hyd line. The new tensioner is a raised tube. ..visible on a S model, not so much on a GT right behind right side fairing

Replaced the timing chain,rails and sprockets on the higher mileage bike because the tensioner upgrade did not silence the marbles in the valve train at start up scary noise...BMW now recommends changing at 30K I recall anways.
I also changed all cooling hoses, 3 I think, on this bike because of age and I had all parts off doing the timing chain and valve check...the valve check is tedious but after doing about 6 bikes have yet to find any out of tolerance..it takes shims to adjust as wella
The airbox on the S has dual snorkels and two air elements..the GT has one. If it doesn' t idle goofy and stall a lot you are prob ok on airbox. The new box has a larger idle control valve/ PCV(seperate part) that was an issue. You have to change box and valve if needed. Have dealt with a few GT's with airbox, our S's have not had the issue. Was time challenged to find pics and prior thread this morning.

Last edited:
Once upon a time, I test rode a K1200GT at the Gillette WY in 2008 rally and loved it. Bought a 1987 K75s instead and have owned it for the past 8 years and have put @30k on her. She's a great ride and wish BMW would make a new and improved K75 but not holding my breath. The only reservation is this bike is @ 100# heavier than what I currently ride.

The bike for sale has @32,000 miles. Asking price @$7k - understand there were some issues with cam chain gear and don't think this issue was addressed. Just wondering what I need to be aware of. If it's made anywhere close to my K75s I'd think it's made pretty bulletproof.

Thanks,

Ken

PS - read a thread on this forum shown below - @ how much would a dealer charge to perform upgrade to camchain tensioner and jump guard? How easy to DIY?

The camchain tensioner and jump guard are a needed upgrade and most likely done. The tensioner is located on top of the block above the clutch cover. The original is a flat plate with a clamp for the hyd line. The new tensioner is a raised tube. ..visible on a S model, not so much on a GT right behind right side fairing

Replaced the timing chain,rails and sprockets on the higher mileage bike because the tensioner upgrade did not silence the marbles in the valve train at start up scary noise...BMW now recommends changing at 30K I recall anways.
I also changed all cooling hoses, 3 I think, on this bike because of age and I had all parts off doing the timing chain and valve check...the valve check is tedious but after doing about 6 bikes have yet to find any out of tolerance..it takes shims to adjust as wella
The airbox on the S has dual snorkels and two air elements..the GT has one. If it doesn' t idle goofy and stall a lot you are prob ok on airbox. The new box has a larger idle control valve/ PCV(seperate part) that was an issue. You have to change box and valve if needed. Have dealt with a few GT's with airbox, our S's have not had the issue. Was time challenged to find pics and prior thread this morning.

No personal experience here, but a good buddy owned the same model you are considering (07 K-GT) for several years before trading for a bike just like mine (F-ST). He loved the bike except that it was big and heavy, and seemed to grow bigger and heavier each day. He wanted smaller and lighter. The only mechanical issue he had--and the reason he finally upgraded to the F-ST--was the ABS system. Apparently 07 was an odd ABS system (I don't know the details) and BMW has since redesigned the system. His ABS "box" went out and the repair cost was astronomical! Almost as much as the book value of the bike at the time. He had relatively few miles (at least for a BMW) on the bike and finally, with the great help of our dealership (Engle's in KC) he got some $$$ help from the manufacturer that let him replace the ABS system and thus have some value in the bike as a trade-in. I guess the take-away from this incident is: have the ABS system checked closely by someone who knows what they are doing before you buy it. Good luck.

No personal experience here, but a good buddy owned the same model you are considering (07 K-GT) for several years before trading for a bike just like mine (F-ST). He loved the bike except that it was big and heavy, and seemed to grow bigger and heavier each day. He wanted smaller and lighter. The only mechanical issue he had--and the reason he finally upgraded to the F-ST--was the ABS system. Apparently 07 was an odd ABS system (I don't know the details) and BMW has since redesigned the system. His ABS "box" went out and the repair cost was astronomical! Almost as much as the book value of the bike at the time. He had relatively few miles (at least for a BMW) on the bike and finally, with the great help of our dealership (Engle's in KC) he got some $$$ help from the manufacturer that let him replace the ABS system and thus have some value in the bike as a trade-in. I guess the take-away from this incident is: have the ABS system checked closely by someone who knows what they are doing before you buy it. Good luck.

Thanks Royce - the big & heavy is a concern! I did test ride the R1200RS and really liked it - not the legendary K motor but way more light and nimble. Thanks for heads up on the ABS system

'07 had Integral brakes, not "whizzy", pm me with your phone number and I'll attempt to tell you all you need to know and my experiences. But for right now, I will say that the bike has its "quirks". I just live with them and enjoy it every time I get on it and head out of town! My '07 GT just rolled over 108k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had my 07 K1200GT for only 3 months, BUT I LOVE this bike. Handling is so much better than any other bike I have owned..

Not just 07

Every so often I think about moving off of my '03 K1200RS to the touring version that came after the "sporty" RS. A) They seem to be as rare as hen's teeth. Why is that? B) It's my sense that some years (presumably later) are better than others - details? I test rode one, cursed a Sargent saddle (really hated it for lots of reasons including not being able to shift my weight as needed), and generally liked it, although I spent some time getting used to the ergos.

I retrieved my '03 K1200RS from Hermy's (Pt. Clinton, PA). For laughs and grins, I asked there were any '05 and forward GT's around. Nah. But there was the comment about the 05-07 1200's "having problems". Were the problems too bad to fix? What's the story here?

Picked up the "other' K12gt today

'07 had Integral brakes, not "whizzy", pm me with your phone number and I'll attempt to tell you all you need to know and my experiences. But for right now, I will say that the bike has its "quirks". I just live with them and enjoy it every time I get on it and head out of town! My '07 GT just rolled over 108k.]

Appreciate the forum and special thanks to Brian for taking time out of his day to discuss two bikes I was considering. Wound up pulling trigger on a 2008 K1200GT with lots of extras and only 10k miles. All recalls and service have been completed including cam chain guide. Extras include top case, bag liner, mayer front seat, electric tank bag and a radar detector, 6 oil filters & filter wrench and new gasket and screws when I need to replace the clutch - having a wet clutch is really nice. I should mention I'm moving from an '87 K75s to the GT - I'd test ridden this model bike back in '08 at Gillette rally and fell in love immediately. The K75s has been a wonderful machine and pleasure to ride.

With the help of a good friend, we drove about 90 minutes each way to pick up the bike - bike exceeds my expectations and rode back in sweltering heat but still impressed with weight and balance - one immediate question - am I able to find spot mirrors at local auto parts store? Came close to kissing a car while making a lane change who was in my blind spot. Am sure I'll reach out for some specific accessory suggestions but right now just want to get the title transferred.

Seller said motor vehicles wants to see engine number and told us how to find it - we removed right fairing and with a flashlight laying on our backs took turns reading the number that is partially obstructed by the bike frame - hopefully we got it right! Won't reinstall fairing until registration is completed.

Meanwhile, it was very hot outside and humid and we're not sure where long and short screws go - will look on realoem and look for a picture.

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• K1200 Fairing Screws.jpg
    K1200 Fairing Screws.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 115
  • K1200 KT.jpg
    K1200 KT.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 115
With any bike, spend a lot time getting acquainted with it before adding farkles such as tinkering with the handlebars and foot pegs. In some instances, it'll make things worse, not better. I test rode a K1300 that the previous owner had "improved". The ergos were miserable and the Sargent seat made it almost impossible to shift weight outboard at slow speeds or inboard in high speed turns. It was all a deal-breaker.

Thanks for link on fairing screws!

Right not only thing I want to add is spot mirrors. The Mayer seat on first ride is pretty comfortable but am used to the harder Corbin seat - only things I'm eager to add are a mount for iPhone and GPS - bike came with a bags connection tank bag that attaches to gas cap and is powered - also came with a Adaptiv TPX radar detector with bracket but no idea how to use it and if it's as good as the Passport I have in my car.

More interested in a bluetooth helmet so I have option to listen to satellite music - have heard SENA makes a good product but not sure what it is.

Sena 20s, it's awesome....and gps mount....I find it easiest to use the gps plug that is located in the battery compartment I think?? The BMW mount is only $24 and works perfectly for all the Zumo line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With any bike, spend a lot time getting acquainted with it before adding farkles such as tinkering with the handlebars and foot pegs. In some instances, it'll make things worse, not better. I test rode a K1300 that the previous owner had "improved". The ergos were miserable and the Sargent seat made it almost impossible to shift weight outboard at slow speeds or inboard in high speed turns. It was all a deal-breaker.

It may have improved it for him, the thing about ergonomics is we all fit our bikes differently. I rode my GT for three years in stock form before finally making the changes I did. I added Wunderlich bar risers to ease the reach for my bad shoulder (which was largely why I sold my R1100RS and got the GT), and foot peg lowering kit to give my 33" inseam legs more room. I switched to a Cal Sci windscreen to eliminate the buffeting I experienced with the stock screen at any position above the lowest. I also added another 1/2" inch of foam to my Sargent seat to flatten the profile and lift me up a bit. All that transformed it from a good bike to a great bike; for me.

what about spot mirrors?

Where can I get a nice set? I've got rectangular Arrow Bar end mirrors on my K75s and they're by far the best mirrors I've ever owned for avoiding a collision when lane changing - not considering bar end mirrors on this bike but spot mirrors are a must.

Sena 20s, it's awesome....and gps mount....I find it easiest to use the gps plug that is located in the battery compartment I think?? The BMW mount is only $24 and works perfectly for all the Zumo line[/...]

I have a 20S and an SMH10 (pre-20S). I like it when it behaves, but it has its odd moments (the cover for the charging port - close it and the external mike is covered, too). Sena is decent on firmware updates, but not so good on customer support. NTL, it's a measure of where I am with Sena that I bought the 20S, which is not plug compatible with SMH10 (new mounting plate needed for the main helmet).

I don't know about the Zumos and K12/1300's. I know it works with any bike set up for NAV IV and maybe previous. I spent a week with my 660 plugged into an '15 RT. The only loss was the access from the ring control. No loss, IMHO.

Back