• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sherpa-Packer Experiences?

IBA# 5819
Anyone use this service at this years Rally in Hamburg?
Am considering using them for next year in SLC and would like some feedback.
Pros? Cons? Neutrals?

I've never used Sherpa, so all my info is second hand.
Talked to a couple at the rally who has used Sherpa in the past. They planned use them again this year but told me the cost had been raised. They said it was up to $100 per night. They opted instead for a hotel room at $120.

I've never used Sherpa, so all my info is second hand.
Talked to a couple at the rally who has used Sherpa in the past. They planned use them again this year but told me the cost had been raised. They said it was up to $100 per night. They opted instead for a hotel room at $120.

That was my initial reaction too.
For that kind of money might as well spring fro the extra cash and get breakfast and a hot shower.

We did the sherpa thing in St. Paul. It was our first rally and didn't know what to expect. We got the big tent so we wouldn't have to dress laying down.
It was a fair price but I understand the price went up to where a room is almost as cheap.
At that rally I visited with one of the directors and he told me of an option.
If you don't want to pack all your stuff half way across the country, buy a cheap tent, sleeping bag, and air mattress at Wally World and have it shipped to the nearest store to the rally.
Then call the local boy scout troop and have them come get it after the rally. Your home for the rally can be less then $100 and by giving it to the boy scouts it's tax deductible.:scratch

If you don't want to pack all your stuff half way across the country, buy a cheap tent, sleeping bag, and air mattress at Wally World and have it shipped to the nearest store to the rally.
Then call the local boy scout troop and have them come get it after the rally. Your home for the rally can be less then $100 and by giving it to the boy scouts it's tax deductible.:scratch

Thats an excellent suggestion!
I'll for sure keep that in mind.

Before you buy your cheap gear at The Mart and dump it on the Boy Scouts maybe you could check with them first.

They may not want your used junk.

Actually, my Wally World cheapo instant tent was quite stable while many very expensive set ups were flying about willy nilly in the AM on Thursday morning.

Actually, my Wally World cheapo instant tent was quite stable while many very expensive set ups were flying about willy nilly in the AM on Thursday morning.

I've used the cheap stuff for years and have been in some nasty storms, they may not last for years but they work well for a season or two.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-4-Season-7-8-x-4-8-x-3-8-Hiker-Tent-Sleeps-2/42351831

A decent tent that will hold up to some bad weather.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Antero-Peak-50-Big-and-Tall-Sleeping-Bag/49578623

I'm a large guy so I need a big boys bag.

And finely a large air bed to roll around on.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bestway-Flocked-Air-Bed-Queen/35584016

All for $97 plus tax.

And if the scout's don't want it Sal's Army will.

I checked out a friends Sherpa set up and it seemed nice for a tent and what they gave you. Plus there were 2 porta poties close by and they had their own charging stations. However, the $375 cost for 3 nights ($125 per night) was ridiculous. Made my Motel 6 room for $38 per night a bargain.

I checked out a friends Sherpa set up and it seemed nice for a tent and what they gave you. Plus there were 2 porta poties close by and they had their own charging stations. However, the $375 cost for 3 nights ($125 per night) was ridiculous. Made my Motel 6 room for $38 per night a bargain.

I agree.
The price is a deal-breaker.

My wife and I used the Sherpa Packer service in Billings and had a very good experience. We had the big tent, two cots with pads, sleeping bags, pillows, camp chairs, fresh towels every day, charging station, and severe coffee. We were comfortable, close to the action and didn't have to mess with packing and setting up the gear, which is fun riding solo and a challenge two up. The tipping point for us was that after enjoying the beer garden, we weren't required to get back on the bike to ride to a hotel. Sure, it's a bit pricey, but that's why I work.

I considered the Sherpa this year but the cost was ridiculous. I have a full compliment of camping gear but since I had other plans the 15 riding days before the rally started and didn't want to carry it all that time I considered shipping. Shipping was also outrageous compared to what it cost to have Amazon deliver a tent, sleeping bag and air mattress (which I also considered disposable). Turned out my $30. tent was really nice and I brought it home. The rest of my gear went to other campers. Well under $100 and I was a happy camper!

I considered the Sherpa this year but the cost was ridiculous. I have a full compliment of camping gear but since I had other plans the 15 riding days before the rally started and didn't want to carry it all that time I considered shipping. Shipping was also outrageous compared to what it cost to have Amazon deliver a tent, sleeping bag and air mattress (which I also considered disposable). Turned out my $30. tent was really nice and I brought it home. The rest of my gear went to other campers. Well under $100 and I was a happy camper!

Did Amazon deliver directly to the rally site?
I looked into buying online at Wal-Mart and having them deliver to the closest store to the Rally site. But ship direct would be much easier.

.... yes; ship it right to the Rally Receiving department. Quite a few folks ship their gear both ways from during the rally.

I shipped all my camping gear into the fairground. About $110.00 round trip.................

Our group of 5 also rented a motel room in Lackawanna to have access to private bath/toilet. Well worth the cost.

At some point is it about saving money or having a great experience?

I'll never go to a National Rally without hard roof lodging! Camping on site is great but you've got to be ready for the unexpected.

jason

I shipped all my camping gear into the fairground. About $110.00 round trip.................

Our group of 5 also rented a motel room in Lackawanna to have access to private bath/toilet. Well worth the cost.

At some point is it about saving money or having a great experience?

I'll never go to a National Rally without hard roof lodging! Camping on site is great but you've got to be ready for the unexpected.

jason

I don't disagree...I just don't want to commute.

Back