• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Service near Las Cruces NM?

bobfately

I am planning on moving from the LA area to Las Cruces, NM in the coming months, and wonder if anyone can recommend a dealer or mechanic that would be able to service my C650GT. I've had it for 30 months and it's in for it's 48K service (I shudder to think what that will cost, given the cost of the 24K) but going forward I won't able to take it to the place in LA I use.

TIA for any guidance (including perhaps dealers or mechanics in El Paso TX (an hour away) or points beyond...)

The 48,000 is identical to the 24,000 if the dealer did it right. Some of the guys (and girls) are getting hosed

I am planning on moving from the LA area to Las Cruces, NM in the coming months, and wonder if anyone can recommend a dealer or mechanic that would be able to service my C650GT. I've had it for 30 months and it's in for it's 48K service (I shudder to think what that will cost, given the cost of the 24K) but going forward I won't able to take it to the place in LA I use.

TIA for any guidance (including perhaps dealers or mechanics in El Paso TX (an hour away) or points beyond...)

The 48,000 is identical to the 24,000 if the dealer did it right. Some of the guys (and girls) are getting hosed

Yeah, I recall noting on this forum that it cost $2700 for the 24K at the dealer...this time I'm working with a more local BMW dealer (in fact, the oldest BMW bike dealer in the US - West Valley Cycles) so we shall see...

What I see others getting hosed for is the chain set, both sprockets and the chain. The chain set should be done at around 60,000 after you use all 4 chain adjusters that are around $30 each.

so...no suggestions?

Well, since I started this post by asking for recommendations on a dealer or mechanic in the Las Cruces area (or El Paso, whatever) and nobody has offered any names, am I to take it that there are no reliable BMW bike service folks in new Mexico?

Not being ignored. Simply that there are no BMW dealers near there. BMW has a very difficult set of rules and requirements for dealers to follow. Barnett was in El Paso and is now closed. Unlike the Metropolitan areas that allow dealers access to enough customers to pay for the BMW requirements, most smaller market BMW dealers simply cannot be profitable while following the dealer mandates.

I have had good luck with the BMW dealer in Tuscon, AZ (Iron Horse Motorcycles). It would be a four hour scoot for you however, YMMV.

Viva Powersports in El Paso sells / services BMW motorcycles. They were still in the process of getting things set up when I was out there a few weeks ago.

Find a dealer or do it yourself. Those are your choices. I have no experience with the NEW El Paso dealer but will give them the benefit of the doubt. Go talk to them. If happy give them your bike. If not you have Albuquerqe and Santa Fe as choices, and Austin and san Antonio too. Do your homework.

Back