• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Police officers shot

Three more, this time in Baton Rouge . When will this crap stop ? will it stop ?

So sad......May they rest in peace...condolences to their families.

Three more, this time in Baton Rouge . When will this crap stop ? will it stop ?

It will never stop. Sad

Nowadays, it has become a national pastime amongst the disgruntled of society to target the uniform.

With respect for the law at an all-time low, lives of those who enforce our laws are in great danger.

May those three rest in a peace that they did not find here on Earth. :violin

Had guys not been shot by police in LA and MN, none of this would have happened. Doesn't justify it obviously, but there is some blame in the fraternity and they have a problem to address.

Had guys not been shot by police in LA and MN, none of this would have happened. Doesn't justify it obviously, but there is some blame in the fraternity and they have a problem to address.

By your logic, any time a black guns down a police officer, not a rare event, any policeman can kill any black to avenge the death.

Makes no sense, obviously...

Harry

Sorry but a totally inappropriate comment

That was an interesting report, Larry. Thanks for the link.

As we read the consultant report, it would be appropriate to focus on one of the referenced DOJ documents, No. 22. At the end of page 84 you find the DOJ conclusion on prosecuting the officer. In this case, no prosecution was recommended. That's what happens.........it takes time for the legal system to work.

Now, 1/4 Million medical malpractice deaths per year.............I'm thinking a law practice next door to the OR could be a lucrative business.

Unfortunately Ron, it won't stop unless society changes and abandons the use of violence as an acceptable problem resolution mechanism..............Regards, Rod.

P.S. My condolences as well, both to the officers killed in duty and the people killed by officers in duty.

We seem to have a lack of empathy in society at present, as well as an assault on manners in the guise of being against "political correctness".

Most political correctness would fall under what my Mom called manners, you know, the old "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything" mentality.

We lack respect for others, for their feelings, ideas and opinions. Some ideas, opinions etc may be bat **** crazy, however that doesn't remove the need to treat those people with respect.

That's what I find is missing in society today, respect for others, we seem to think we're justified in doing whatever we want as long as it benefits us.............Rod.

Unfortunately Ron, it won't stop unless society changes and abandons the use of violence as an acceptable problem resolution mechanism..............Regards, Rod.

P.S. My condolences as well, both to the officers killed in duty and the people killed by officers in duty.

We seem to have a lack of empathy in society at present, as well as an assault on manners in the guise of being against "political correctness".

Most political correctness would fall under what my Mom called manners, you know, the old "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything" mentality.

We lack respect for others, for their feelings, ideas and opinions. Some ideas, opinions etc may be bat **** crazy, however that doesn't remove the need to treat those people with respect.

That's what I find is missing in society today, respect for others, we seem to think we're justified in doing whatever we want as long as it benefits us.............Rod.

Rod,

I agree with most that you said except.....

I cannot offer condolences to the thugs killed by the police. If they are in the process of a crime ? or just stopped by the police, follow the officers commands & likely all will end well.

Rod,

I agree with most that you said except.....

I cannot offer condolences to the thugs killed by the police. If they are in the process of a crime ? or just stopped by the police, follow the officers commands & likely all will end well.

Hi Ron, thanks for the comments.

Unfortunately not all people killed by the police are capable of responding to commands from the police, due to mental health issues, language barriers etc.

We have a couple of famous incidents in Canada where one Polish visitor was killed at the airport because he was armed with a stapler, and we didn't provide anyone who could speak Polish.

Another incident was a young man on an empty streetcar in Toronto who was tasered, and shot multiple times. That officer has been convicted, as he should have been.

The police have a very difficult job to do, sometimes due to lack of training or bad judgment they make fatal mistakes. The people killed in those situations certainly deserve our condolences.

regards, Rod.

In the case of Philando Castile, following police commands appear to have not had your implied result.

In 1970 our community was rocked by the ambush shooting of Officer James T Sackett Jr. It took 35 years to bring the shooters to court and convict. Yes it takes a long time for justice in some cases.

The trouble is that our community did not address issues that led the perpetrators to think ambushing an officer was justifiable. In the forty six years since we have continued to do a dismal job at addressing the issues that now surround the shooting of Philando Castile. These issues include both citizens and officers.

History tells me that this has been going on as long as there have been officers of any kind. My belief, based on that reading of history is it will continue. Killings of citizens and officers can only be mitigated by honestly dealing with the underlying problems; not eliminated

The discussion of those problems is a political one. Political in the definition sense of a study of how people organize themselves and act within communities; not party politics. Political discussions are not allowed but BS threads apparently are.

The Mod Team is watching this thread closely.
We try to not sterilize the forum. The expression of condolences in itself can be controversial.
Where is the line frequently drawn? When the hateful posts start.
The Members have done well with this sensitive subject. We appreciate your efforts.
Gary

Hi Ron, thanks for the comments.

Unfortunately not all people killed by the police are capable of responding to commands from the police, due to mental health issues, language barriers etc.

We have a couple of famous incidents in Canada where one Polish visitor was killed at the airport because he was armed with a stapler, and we didn't provide anyone who could speak Polish.

Another incident was a young man on an empty streetcar in Toronto who was tasered, and shot multiple times. That officer has been convicted, as he should have been.

The police have a very difficult job to do, sometimes due to lack of training or bad judgment they make fatal mistakes. The people killed in those situations certainly deserve our condolences.

regards, Rod.

"Unfortunately not all people killed by the police are capable of responding to commands from the police, due to mental health issues, language barriers etc."

Three things about that....

#1 Just how long should an officer wait ? before he decides he may be in danger & act in a manner to protect himself ?

#2 Mental health ? OK maybe . But again the officer needs first & foremost to protect himself . So IS the guy mentally challenged ? or HIGH on ?

#3 Language aside I think anyone would know when they are being stopped / restrained. As such,...stop resisting !

The Mod Team is watching this thread closely.
We try to not sterilize the forum. The expression of condolences in itself can be controversial.
Where is the line frequently drawn? When the hateful posts start.
The Members have done well with this sensitive subject. We appreciate your efforts.
Gary

Gary,

Will you please let us correspond like adults ? If I or anyone posts to a person directly....something offensive ?? Which so far no one has done, it does NOT offend the club, and sure as hell shouldn't offend you.

Don't come along with this big brother is watching you / threat bull**** !........That IS offensive !

Gary,

Will you please let us correspond like adults ? If I or anyone posts to a person directly....something offensive ?? Which so far no one has done, it does NOT offend the club, and sure as hell shouldn't offend you.

Don't come along with this big brother is watching you / threat bull**** !........That IS offensive !

Apparently you missed the point Ron. There have been a number of complaints about "political overtones" in this thread.
This has nothing to do with what I like or don't like. This is about what is good for the forum and keeping within operational guidelines.
OM

Back