• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Best defense for getting ticketed at 85 in a 65 mph zone in Connecticut today

The original criminal defense; the first three rules of criminal defense, still relevant today: deny, deny, deny.

Tho I wouldn't admit to anything on record, ever- something tells me you might have a hard time selling it this time. Bringing a lawyer in to "defend" you is gonna cost probably as much or more than the fine...
but could save points.

They got you dead to rights brah.
Suck it up and pay da man.
At the end of the day, it's the honest thing to do.

:dance

Last edited:
I've always been truthful when dealing with LEOs during traffic stops. I don't volunteer information, but if asked a question I answer truthfully. Been stopped a fair amount of times ( most recently in Nebraska last Ovtober), but the last ticket was in 1983, I think. That Indiana State Trooper didn't ask me for anything other than to produce my license and registration. Being honest seems to work for me.

In Ontario, if you challenge the officer, and he is in court - which he should be since the court dates are assigned based on scheduled court time, the officer has the option to approach the bench, open his note book, and request to amend the charges to the original speed and any additional charges that could be applied. Unless you have a spectacular defense, you pay more and loose points.
The increase in insurance rates will offset any potential savings since that is a gift that keeps on giving for several years - and you don't want to get a second ticket any time after.
We occasionally break into "spirited" driving mode on our rides and at the end of the day, consider the fine, a tax for having fun. Thankfully, it doesn't happen often.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Screw with the guy who was doing his job to keep us all safer to keep from paying what you deserve to pay for breaking the law. No comment I can share publicly.

Right on.

Sad to read here what lengths are being suggested to skirt personal responsibility and do the right thing. :banghead

Get a good lawyer. You will have to pay the lawyer and you might end up with some kind of fine but it will probably be cheaper than points on your license and an increase in your insurance rates.

Another possibility -
A few weeks before your court date, call the courthouse and ask to have the hearing delayed. Have some kind of reason ready.
A couple of weeks before the new date, call in and delay it again.
This will interfere with the officer's schedule.
I don't know what the law is in CT, but here, if the officer doesn't show up, you're usually off the hook.

I knew a guy who tried this delay tactic. First time he rescheduled, the court agreed to a new date/time. Second time they said show up at the appointed time. A bench warrant will be issued should you fail to appear. They probably won't search for you on a bench warrant, but if your stopped for ANYTHING in the future expect a ride to lock up.

I'd just go to court and ask the judge for a bit of lienency on the fine. He may ask you to explain, and you could give your explanation for the infraction.

20 over in some states requires a hearing and you could loose your license. Call a lawyer that deals in traffic law. It will cost you, but maybe far less than the consequences of pleading of being found guilty.

I sucessfully finished two Iron Butt Rallies when never exceeding 8 or 9 over. In many states 15 over is prima facia wreckless driving. Twenty over, really. Pay up and get on with life.

Screw with the guy who was doing his job to keep us all safer to keep from paying what you deserve to pay for breaking the law. No comment I can share publicly.

Yes, I agree. And nowadays, to keep overtime costs down, the Court schedules "not guilty" pleas to be heard on days where the officer is working. So, there's no resulting "interference with the officer's schedule" and no added overtime costs to be paid by the taxpayers, PLUS each time you schedule an appearance you're keeping him off the road and from doing his job, and actually giving him a break by sitting in court waiting for you. And, in my LEO experience, the Court usually gives defendants ONE postponement request, not two.

20 over is just a bit difficult to explain, and believe me, the judge has heard every cute excuse you can come up with a thousand times over and he will not be impressed, and maybe even more inclined to throw the book at you. So either hire a local attorney that can probably plea deal it down to 10 over, or walk in there wearing your big boy pants and plead guilty and put it behind you. I'm sure you've sped before and didn't get caught. Chalk this one up for the other side and get on with life.

Yes, I agree. And nowadays, to keep overtime costs down, the Court schedules "not guilty" pleas to be heard on days where the officer is working. So, there's no resulting "interference with the officer's schedule" and no added overtime costs to be paid by the taxpayers, PLUS each time you schedule an appearance you're keeping him off the road and from doing his job, and actually giving him a break by sitting in court waiting for you. And, in my LEO experience, the Court usually gives defendants ONE postponement request, not two.

20 over is just a bit difficult to explain, and believe me, the judge has heard every cute excuse you can come up with a thousand times over and he will not be impressed, and maybe even more inclined to throw the book at you. So either hire a local attorney that can probably plea deal it down to 10 over, or walk in there wearing your big boy pants and plead guilty and put it behind you. I'm sure you've sped before and didn't get caught. Chalk this one up for the other side and get on with life.

Perfect. :thumb

Get a lawyer

I have had 25 violations and NO convictions. We have the best criminal justice system money can buy and I buy my justice. Wise up and play the game.

I have had 25 violations and NO convictions. We have the best criminal justice system money can buy and I buy my justice. Wise up and play the game.

Ya, if only more people played the game.... what a wonderful country this would be. This sounds like exactly the expression I would expect to hear from some of our most prominent politicians.

If you knew Jerry you'd know he couldn't possibly get elected to public office- way too direct and honest.
His advice is cheapest in the long run- follow it! Last (nearly) 20 over I got became an equipment defect (nothing).
Just call it cheap rent for the public roads.

I ride often in your wonderful county (thank you) and do not travel at the speeds spoken about in this thread. Therefore I have no need of the US criminal justice system or money to utilize it to ride there. In Canada, I travel well within the margin, however in the distant past I once did get stopped and ticketed for being 8 Kph (~5 Mph) over the limit. I paid my fine - no reason not to.

Heresy I know.
:hide

So the trooper walks up to me and says "You know why I'm here"
I replied "because you didn't finish high school?"
That did not help.....

Back