• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Time to hang it up

rad

Retired from riding
Yup, after 50 years of riding, including a dozen years teaching MSF I just sold my last motorcycle and I have given up riding. Just a few years ago I could not conceive of this day ever coming.

So what changed? Physically unable to ride? Nope, I'm in great shape and bicycle our coast and mountains to a tune of about 400 miles a month.

The only way to explain it is to quote a dear friend of mine when I asked him why he no longer swims since he was a life time competitive swimmer and swim coach. He said, " the water no longer holds any mystery for me". Yup, not that I had done it all in 50 years of motorcycling but I found I was bored when on the bike. When I was on it locally or riding cross country I found myself thinking, gee I wish I was doing this, or that, etc. It was time.

I want to say that it was a great 50 years that included wonderful experiences I will never forget. Being an admin and mod on ADV Rider was a hoot. The off road advtures were great and my many rides with my good friend David (dbrick) were fantastic.

I enjoyed my many many motorcycles and my love affair with BMW's, then falling out of love with them, and falling back in love with them.

Ironically this last bike I sold was the very best BMW I ever owned, completely bulletproof and set up perfectly for me. A nice couple from the north bay bought the bike. He is thrilled with it and I suspect he will be a great addition to the BMW family.

Finally, I want to thank this forum and the members and mods for creating a great place to share the BMW experience.

Thanks
Conrad

I understand Rad, sorry to see you go........You don't have to you know.

It may be like selling the baby-clothes at the yard sale.......Be careful going into the dealerships :deal

Gary

Some time ago good friends left on a sailing adventure. I asked them how long they planned to be gone, at the dockside party the night before they sailed. They smiled, looked at each other, turned and said, "Until its not fun anymore". That is what they did and still seems the most sensible approach to life I have ever heard.

Here is wishing you fun and safe travels in whatever adventure you take on next.

:wave

I understand Rad, sorry to see you go........You don't have to you know.

It may be like selling the baby-clothes at the yard sale.......Be careful going into the dealerships :deal

Gary

I must admit my grown daughters were shocked for they have never known their dad not to ride so I did take their advice......I packed away my scads of motorcycle clothing and did not sell any. I will take to goodwill the old jackets and gloves I have not used in many years.

Gary, you are good people, keep doing a great job mod' here on the forum.

Conrad

I must admit my grown daughters were shocked for they have never known their dad not to ride so I did take their advice......I packed away my scads of motorcycle clothing and did not sell any. I will take to goodwill the old jackets and gloves I have not used in many years.

Gary, you are good people, keep doing a great job mod' here on the forum.

Conrad
Thanks Rad, likewise.
I figured you would catch that obscure reference. :rofl
Gary

This day will come to all of us, God-willing.

Many will have to 'hang it up' due to health issues or economic restraints - some will just shift gears and venture off on a different path in life.

You did it with grace.

Best of luck for the future! :thumb

I understand exactly how you feel. There comes a time . . . .

I gave up sailing and sold my boat in April. I just wasn't interested anymore. Motorcycles will be next but I hope that won't be for a few more years. I'm almost 70. Several weeks ago I had a radical prostatectomy. The thing that is frustrating me most about the operation is that I can't ride. The surgeon said that I had to stay away from bicycles and motorcycles until August. :cry I'll eventually start riding again but my rides will be shorter.

Yup, after 50 years of riding, including a dozen years teaching MSF I just sold my last motorcycle and I have given up riding. Just a few years ago I could not conceive of this day ever coming.

So what changed? Physically unable to ride? Nope, I'm in great shape and bicycle our coast and mountains to a tune of about 400 miles a month.

The only way to explain it is to quote a dear friend of mine when I asked him why he no longer swims since he was a life time competitive swimmer and swim coach. He said, " the water no longer holds any mystery for me". Yup, not that I had done it all in 50 years of motorcycling but I found I was bored when on the bike. When I was on it locally or riding cross country I found myself thinking, gee I wish I was doing this, or that, etc. It was time.

I want to say that it was a great 50 years that included wonderful experiences I will never forget. Being an admin and mod on ADV Rider was a hoot. The off road advtures were great and my many rides with my good friend David (dbrick) were fantastic.

I enjoyed my many many motorcycles and my love affair with BMW's, then falling out of love with them, and falling back in love with them.

Ironically this last bike I sold was the very best BMW I ever owned, completely bulletproof and set up perfectly for me. A nice couple from the north bay bought the bike. He is thrilled with it and I suspect he will be a great addition to the BMW family.

Finally, I want to thank this forum and the members and mods for creating a great place to share the BMW experience.

Thanks
Conrad

What you wrote hits home to a lot of us. To a certain amount the fun has gone out of it for me also. Been riding 60 years and the thought of not owning a bike is troubling. Just cant imagine not being involved with the people.
I wish you well

... I'll eventually start riding again but my rides will be shorter.

Nothing wrong with short rides. All of my rides are short; sometimes I'll string a bunch of short rides together a make a longer ride if I want to go somewhere. If it ain't fun, you're doing something wrong!!!

Yup, not that I had done it all in 50 years of motorcycling but I found I was bored when on the bike. When I was on it locally or riding cross country I found myself thinking, gee I wish I was doing this, or that, etc. It was time.

Conrad

Nothing is final until the Fat Lady sings.

I'm almost 70. Several weeks ago I had a radical prostatectomy.

Get well soon!

My prostate biopsy a year ago came back negative, but my brother has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer. Unfortunately, prostate cancer is all too common.

Harry

Get well soon!

My prostate biopsy a year ago came back negative, but my brother has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer. Unfortunately, prostate cancer is all too common.

Harry

And I assume that you are back riding! :thumb

Some years ago I was doing an Edelweiss tour in Spain. One of the guys who was riding with us was in his 80s. (I can't remember his name but he posted pictures of that trip in the MOA Magazine.) He out rode us all! (He would take pictures as we rode by, mount up, pass us, ride on up the road, get off of his bike, and take more pictures when we passed again.) I don't need to be riding in my 80s but I would be pleased with five more years of riding.

Conrad,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I've been on the fence with this issue for the last couple of years. Started riding in '63, like many of our age I started riding on dirt and initially didn't have much desire to ride street machines. Since that beginning, moved onward with a variety of bikes and haven't owned a dirt bike since the early seventies. After owning bikes from all the major Japanese brands, got a Ducati in the mid 90's. Finally matured enough (haha) to get a new BMW in 2004, then picked up my '04 R1100S in 2008.

A lot miles and smiles along the way with some memorable rides, some short, some long. These days don't seem to find the time to ride much, and guess that's the crux of my issue. That I don't "find the time". So the bike mostly sits and gathers dust. Complicating a decision to hang it up, is that I truly love this bike. I've had faster (race prepped GS1000S), better handling (Ducati 900 SS/SP), better full on touring (GS1100G full faired, Krauser cases/trunk) bikes, but never one that covers all my bases so perfectly. Plus it's pretty..lol.

So, I appreciate what you faced in making your decision. Responding to your post helps me focus more on my own process.

Best wishes for happy "retirement"!

Spencer, Kevin and the others, thanks for the nice comments.

Bill, you are sounding a lot like I did about a year ago when I realized my bike sat for weeks at a time. That was unheard of not long ago. It took me a couple years to actually let go and when I watched the bike leave with a new owner on it I was not sad. Instead, it felt really good to close a chapter in my life in a real positive way, highlighted by watching someone else fall in love with the best bike I ever owned.

He already sent me a picture of the bike after he had the side bags and top box lids color matched to the bike. The poor guy reminds me of me not many years prior.

I must say, it is very nice to make a decision like this on my terms and not have the decision dictated to me by something like a serious physical ailment or a serious crash.

Life is good

Ride safe
Conrad

Best wishes on your second "retirement". My dad of 85 only does short rides about less than 100 miles still today.

Conrad.........
So very PROUD for YOU. Everyone has their own path to follow. The other guy follows theirs and doesn't leave a shadow on you. Do what YOU need and want to do and smile that huge self-satisfied smile that YOU wear.........God bless......Dennis

Thanks
Conrad

I believe my wife and I sat in one of your classes at Cabrillo College a number of years ago? We were looking to get a license so that we could purchase a scooter and save gas during the times of high gas prices. After riding the (range bikes) and enjoying some playful laughter with one of the students that was an avid scooter rider that I think you nick named (Scooter Boy), I decided to buy a motorcycle. I did not want to be a Scooter Boy? lol My first Motorcycle was a used BMW and the rest his history. I know others that have been in your classes? We Thank You for sharing your passion with others. Be careful riding your bike through those Redwoods.......

John

I believe my wife and I sat in one of your classes at Cabrillo College a number of years ago? We were looking to get a license so that we could purchase a scooter and save gas during the times of high gas prices. After riding the (range bikes) and enjoying some playful laughter with one of the students that was an avid scooter rider that I think you nick named (Scooter Boy), I decided to buy a motorcycle. I did not want to be a Scooter Boy? lol My first Motorcycle was a used BMW and the rest his history. I know others that have been in your classes? We Thank You for sharing your passion with others. Be careful riding your bike through those Redwoods.......

John

Thanks, John

I loved teaching MSF.

Ride safe

Conrad

Back