Thread: long distance purchase

long distance purchase

Hi all,
    again, after some time without a BMW, I am in the market for a nice K75 or K100. I think.Have owned a '73 R60/5, a K75 not sure what year, a R1100RS and a '99 R1100R. All nice bikes.Sold the last one when I found out we had a grand son on the way.He is about to move 900 miles away and my retirement is drawing nearer. So, I think it is time for that "retirement bike". The K's are such smooth, low maintenance bikes that I think that they would be my choice.
    My issue is that I reside on the Gulf Coast, very few BMW bikes of interest come up for sale,all the nice examples appear to be at least 500 miles away. Forget about test drive, even inspection of the bike to be purchased. Also there is the financial aspect, buyer and seller are strangers, how do you overcome all those issues? I am sure some of you on this forum have some experience on this topic. Please share.

Only MOA members may list on the MOA Marketplace; I'd believe we're more likely to be honest and straightforward about what's being offered than others. If you see a bike in location x, it's quite acceptable to ask on the Forum if some member is close to x and will go take a look for you and report. For a dealer or mechanic's inspection, make sure you pay for it (rather than doing it at the seller's request) so the inspector owes you loyalty, rather than the seller. Having a conversation with the seller (telephone or Skype) will also inform you about what sort of person you're dealing with. If things (or the seller) feel odd...don't buy.

If a deal is made, the money changes hands when possession of the bike and title do. Someone is going to have to travel: who's hungrier for the purchase to go through?
    Last edited by dbrick; 07-06-2016 at 03:38 PM.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

K75's

Interested in a K75 that needs work?

define needs work

Quote Originally Posted by KARSTEN View Post
    Hi all,
    again, after some time without a BMW, I am in the market for a nice K75 or K100. I think.Have owned a '73 R60/5, a K75 not sure what year, a R1100RS and a '99 R1100R. All nice bikes.Sold the last one when I found out we had a grand son on the way.He is about to move 900 miles away and my retirement is drawing nearer. So, I think it is time for that "retirement bike". The K's are such smooth, low maintenance bikes that I think that they would be my choice.
    My issue is that I reside on the Gulf Coast, very few BMW bikes of interest come up for sale,all the nice examples appear to be at least 500 miles away. Forget about test drive, even inspection of the bike to be purchased. Also there is the financial aspect, buyer and seller are strangers, how do you overcome all those issues? I am sure some of you on this forum have some experience on this topic. Please share.
    Did you try SearchTempest for Craigslist postings? Here's one in Tallahasee

http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/mcy/5602496752.html
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175

Bluenoser
    No matter who you are dealing with it is always, Buyer Beware. Things happen when we are buying bikes or anything else for that matter, the heart and the head don't work well together.

Good luck on your search and I would post a wanted ad locally and see what happens. Also there is likely a few BMW groups in your area, somebody in there will be wanting to sell something.
    1999 R1100s
    1999 GL1500

picked up my "new" 1995 K75S last Thursday, only had to travel 200 miles each way. Not too bad to find a nice bike.