• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Nav V - am I missing something

skibumwi

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place but I couldn't find a topic devoted to the Nav V.

After a bit on consternation I decided to purchase the Nav V for my 2016 R1200RTW which was Nav-ready. After taking it out for a test-spin today I can say that I am really disappointed in the performance. Very early-2000 performance.

I've been using Google maps for years and find the interface, real-time traffic alerts, and up-to-date maps really nice. The Nav V required an addiction subscription for traffic alerts and, even with the completely updated maps, did not accurately the current roads in my area. I could not locate towns that were within 20 miles of my current location! I really hope that I was doing something wrong, otherwise I feel like I spent a lot of money that I get for free on my phone.

Any good tutorials on line that might make me feel a bit better about my purchase, or should I just return the expensive beast?

Thanks,
Ski

I have a Nav V on my 2015 GSA, and used it previously on my 2006 RT. Can't say that my experience has been the same as yours, but then again I've used it long enough to have a pretty reasonable handle on it. I bought the weather subscription, which I find really useful. I also recently bought the traffic subscription, but haven't used it enough to offer an opinion on its utility. While not a tutorial, ou might try reading this article:

http://www.globeriders.com/article_pages/article07_gps/article07_nav5.shtml

Ski - I'm surprised that you're not seeing those local towns. Now that I'm somewhat used to the Nav V, I think it's a great addition to the BMW's with the wonder wheel interface. And its main shortcoming in my opinion is that POI's are somewhat out of date. Can you give an example of a missing town? Maybe there's a different way to look for it.

Dundee, Wisconsin

I tried searching for Dundee, Wisconsin which is a very small town that happens to have the only bar or restaurant along the Kettle Moraine Scenic trail. When I search for Cities it comes up with no results, when I perform a generic search I get a list of streets name Dundee but no town.

I suspect that I've become spoiled by the voice search option on google maps and the live traffic along with automatic re-routing.

Also, anyone know how to import and then use a .gpx file into the NavV?

Also, also, I see that live traffic for the NavV (through my smartphone link) cost $19.99 but no term is listed. Is this a one time price, yearly, monthly, other?

Thanks,
Ski

Also, also, I see that live traffic for the NavV (through my smartphone link) cost $19.99 but no term is listed. Is this a one time price, yearly, monthly, other?

Thanks,
Ski

I paid $5 for the weather radar option and it's a one time fee. I would guess traffic is the same.

For me, importing the GPX file is the same as other Garmins I have owned. Zumo and Nuvi.
I find the GPX folder in the NavV and paste the GPX file into it.

To use the route go to Apps on the main screen, then select Trip Planner and pick your route.

When you first import a GPX file, seems like you get a message that there is a new route and it asks if you want to load it. Press yes.

Last edited:
All the Garmin smarlink pay for apps are one time purchase. I tried to look up Dundee as well, same results, Google search, noticed it is unincorporated, so I tried another unincorporated town, and that came up in the database. Head scratcher. :scratch

I tried searching for Dundee, Wisconsin which is a very small town that happens to have the only bar or restaurant along the Kettle Moraine Scenic trail. When I search for Cities it comes up with no results, when I perform a generic search I get a list of streets name Dundee but no town.

I suspect that I've become spoiled by the voice search option on google maps and the live traffic along with automatic re-routing.

Thanks,
Ski

You can import a gpx directly to the gpx folder or use Basecamp. Although a bit clunky IMO, you need to use it if you want to get maximum return from your Nav V.

I have a garmin nuvi, not as advanced as the Nav V but I think I understand what you are talking about. If you are used to google maps then I think most gps units will seem a bit clunky. I have the most up to date maps and I am still sometime frustrated by points of interest that the garmin cannot locate. I think most of the problems stem from two things. First, the gps unit has all its points of interest loaded into its memory, which is someone limited. Compare that to google's database which is essentially limitless. Google's information is also updated constantly, whereas your garmin's database is only as good as the last update.

Second, garmin is very specific about how some things are entered when searching, whereas Google is extremely flexible and tries to anticipate what you are thinking. At least on my Nuvi I was unable to get it to find any county roads until I figured out the correct format. Want to find county road H? Enter "county road H", "highway H", "hy H", "hwy H" and get ready for disappointment. Enter it as "CR H" and it finds it immediately.

IMHO the garmin is clunky compared to using google on my phone but I still like it because it works everywhere, doesn't use cellular data, is waterproof, works with gloves on. All things I can't do with Google on my devices. Your gps doesn't suck, it just has its pros and cons and takes a learning curve. I like having both tools for different uses.

For the record, I went from a Zumo 550 to the NAV V. Riding home from the dealership I was convinced I made a mistake. But I took the time to learn it, subscribed to the apps through the smarlink and now I'm quite satisfied with the product. Full integration with the 2016 RT was one of the factors I considered when making my decision to purchase a new bike... I already had the NAV V on an island older bike . I was traveling through Atlanta on 85 when it alerted me to an accident up ahead and diverted me with alternate routing. Paid for itself right then and there.

Thanks,

I've played with the NavV a bit more and am growing used to it, I still think that the GUI is really dated but I like the Info-screen (which apparently can only be accessed from the thumb-wheel) during my rides.

Is there any setting to change the default start-up screen?

Thanks,
Ski

Nav V vs Google

Have to admit that Google beats Garmin by a long shot, except for what's already been noted; Don't need 4LTE service, etc... but Harley's Infotainment center is almost useless. I briefly traded a 2014 RT for a 2015 Ultra Limited, and the nav system in that may have a use as an $1,800.00 boat anchor. Almost useless as a navigational tool. So was greatly relieved to get into another RT this year, and am happy with the Nav V. It'll take some getting used to if you're spoiled by the smart phone apps in the city, but worth it out in the desert when the phones fail. Wish Google would get with BMW, and make something sweet!

Thanks,
Ski

Traffic is a one-time fee. I like the way it works. It does not automatically re-route you around traffic, but provides options which you have to choose. Of course, in Boston, there is frequently no good option...

...Is there any setting to change the default start-up screen?

What were you wanting to change it to?

Have to admit that Google beats Garmin by a long shot, except for what's already been noted...

Perhaps it's just me, but I've yet to see a phone screen that was anywhere near satisfactory to view on a motorcycle in typical daylight conditions. Granted, my Zumos, StreetPilots and TomToms aren't great in this aspect either, but they are - for me - far and away no-contest better and usable in those conditions. If I'm wearing sunglasses it's even hard to read my cell phone held in my hand let alone mounted on a bike, others vision might be better at this than mine.

There is also the issue of re-routing time. My Zumo performs this almost always quickly enough that I don't have to slowdown for it to catch up. Every cell phone I've tried lags in re-routing speed enough that unless I'm in the city and riding fairly slow, the phone is playing catch-up and there is no navigation until it catches up. I like to ride secondary roads when possible and take interesting roads that typically require re-routing. In Europe my phone just couldn't keep up with my Garmin. I've spent some time running 2 and even three GPS at the same time to compare how they work and respond.

The benefits that I've read others attribute to smartphones usually have absolutely nothing to do with Smartphones at all, but are benefits provided by Google Maps. If Google Maps were available on the Garmin this likely wouldn't even be a discussion. For me the Smartphone is a just not a substitute for a proper GPS like the Nav-V. I use my bike and vehicle GPS quite a bit (in the past 14 months it's been about 8-9 1,000+ mile trips).

Along with what has already been mentioned, Traffic, Tracks and Weather, plus the weather-proof and shock-proof features, functionality from features like Exit Services, Detour, etc., are not only valuable but actually readily accessible through the customizable Map Buttons/Dashboard. With a SmartPhone you have to find a place to pullover, stop the bike, take off your gloves and navigate through the phone (automatic fail for me).

Just the level of customization is far superior. It also has very useful and on-the-fly changeable info such as the "Dashboard" display for:
- Arrival Time
- Distance to Destination
- Time to Destination
- Via Arrival
- Distance to Via
- Time to Via
- Time to Turn
- Distance to Turn
- etc., etc.

What would be ideal is if Garmin were to incorporate some of Google's features and then you'd have a great system.

Garmin vs Google

.... guess that's what I meant, is that if Google could ADD to the Garmin's abilities. I do love my Garmin, though! Just takes some playing to get used to it. :)

On a recent trip through the SW my riding buddy's I phone and I pad over heated and were useless for navigation and music. My thumb drive , for music, and Nav V did their jobs. I used google maps at lunch breaks and fill ups but the Nav V was the mule for the hot legs of the trip.

Discuss at the Das Rally?

Sounds like the RT radio and Nav V issues would make a great seminar at the rally. Might be an idea to gather members and bikes into a location and help each other out.

Back