• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tire Pressure Recommendations

cjack

K Bikes Complex by Choice
So what's a good tire pressure to run front and rear. I have always run 38 front and 42 rear. Seems high now and I have always been wary of sliding out in curves on asphalt tar strips or wet roads. I see the track day recommendations are about 30/30. Kind of low I think. I'm thinking near 40 is good for not bending the rims, good for straight line water on the pavement, but too high for best traction.
Maybe 34 front and 38 rear? Cold.

So what's a good tire pressure to run front and rear. I have always run 38 front and 42 rear. Seems high now and I have always been wary of sliding out in curves on asphalt tar strips or wet roads. I see the track day recommendations are about 30/30. Kind of low I think. I'm thinking near 40 is good for not bending the rims, good for straight line water on the pavement, but too high for best traction.
Maybe 34 front and 38 rear? Cold.

hmmm...

what bike?
what tires?
solo, solo w/ lots of luggage, two-up?
ride like an old geezer or Marc Marquez?

kinda helps to know some info....;)

hmmm...

what bike?
what tires?
solo, solo w/ lots of luggage, two-up?
ride like an old geezer or Marc Marquez?

kinda helps to know some info....;)

Right, my bad. Solo lots of filled Touratech, R12GS, Metzeler Pilot Road 4 Trail, touring.
My wife, on her 12GS, says I go too slow for her to keep her bike up when it's wet and windy in curves.

Right, my bad. Solo lots of filled Touratech, R12GS, Metzeler Pilot Road 4 Trail, touring.
My wife, on her 12GS, says I go too slow for her to keep her bike up when it's wet and windy in curves.

Pilot Road 43 Trails are Michelin tires...

that said, i would recommend 36 front/42 rear when on pavement....if you plan much off road excursions, i would recommend 30/34 for the big bike....

the PR4s are GREAT tires in the wet and offer outstanding traction on curves....just be gentle on the throttle and brakes...and keep your wife in sight....:)

Pilot Road 43 Trails are Michelin tires...

that said, i would recommend 36 front/42 rear when on pavement....if you plan much off road excursions, i would recommend 30/34 for the big bike....

the PR4s are GREAT tires in the wet and offer outstanding traction on curves....just be gentle on the throttle and brakes...and keep your wife in sight....:)

Oh rats...meant Michelin.

Thanks for the answer. I think I'm pretty much running that...I thought maybe too high, but the air supports the load. I get that.

Tire Presure

Attended a tire seminar a couple of weeks ago hosted by BMW Grand Rapids Mi. The seminar was sponsored by Michellin with the tire representative presenting having 30 years in the tire industry, made the point multiple times that the majority of motorcycle owners run their tires to LOW.

I have a 2012 GS with Pilot Road 4 Trails, I specifically had the rep examine my tires, currently 7,700 miles on them, he pointed out some minor cupping on the FRONT beginning due to UNDER inflation. I monitor my tire inflation weekly and always have 36F & 40R. I ride solo 99% on the time, without any luggage etc. The rep suggested to run air pressure at the tire manufacturers sidewall MAX, which for the PR4 Trails is 42 pounds

He also spoke to the huge inaccuracy of tire gauges, so make sure your gauge is accurate.

Pressures are listed on a sticker under the seat.

You won't find any better recommendations on the internet.

Pressures are listed on a sticker under the seat.

You won't find any better recommendations on the internet.

IMO, these pressures may make the bike handle as designed, but will not do nice things to a PR4 front tire. Cupping and the sides wearing out prematurely.

IMO, these pressures may make the bike handle as designed, but will not do nice things to a PR4 front tire. Cupping and the sides wearing out prematurely.

Add to this "will maximize safety."

Any attempt to obtain exceptional mileage from a motorcycle tire compromises safety.

Add to this "will maximize safety."

Any attempt to obtain exceptional mileage from a motorcycle tire compromises safety.

Every car I've ever owned handles better (including stopping) with 2 to 4 psi more air in the tires. Based on my personal experience, my RT handles better this way too.

OEM specs for tires are based on a number of things, comfort being one of them, and are a compromise of all of the those things.

Last edited:
Back