Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Tire Pressure Recommendations

  1. #1
    K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Urbana, IL
    Posts
    3,756

    Tire Pressure Recommendations

    So what's a good tire pressure to run front and rear. I have always run 38 front and 42 rear. Seems high now and I have always been wary of sliding out in curves on asphalt tar strips or wet roads. I see the track day recommendations are about 30/30. Kind of low I think. I'm thinking near 40 is good for not bending the rims, good for straight line water on the pavement, but too high for best traction.
    Maybe 34 front and 38 rear? Cold.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

  2. #2
    Registered User wyman.winn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Solvang, CA
    Posts
    435

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    So what's a good tire pressure to run front and rear. I have always run 38 front and 42 rear. Seems high now and I have always been wary of sliding out in curves on asphalt tar strips or wet roads. I see the track day recommendations are about 30/30. Kind of low I think. I'm thinking near 40 is good for not bending the rims, good for straight line water on the pavement, but too high for best traction.
    Maybe 34 front and 38 rear? Cold.
    hmmm...

    what bike?
    what tires?
    solo, solo w/ lots of luggage, two-up?
    ride like an old geezer or Marc Marquez?

    kinda helps to know some info....
    ~wyman~

    2015 S1000R - Duke - Black Storm Metallic
    2013 R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic

  3. #3
    K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Urbana, IL
    Posts
    3,756
    Quote Originally Posted by wyman.winn View Post
    hmmm...

    what bike?
    what tires?
    solo, solo w/ lots of luggage, two-up?
    ride like an old geezer or Marc Marquez?

    kinda helps to know some info....
    Right, my bad. Solo lots of filled Touratech, R12GS, Metzeler Pilot Road 4 Trail, touring.
    My wife, on her 12GS, says I go too slow for her to keep her bike up when it's wet and windy in curves.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

  4. #4
    Registered User wyman.winn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Solvang, CA
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    Right, my bad. Solo lots of filled Touratech, R12GS, Metzeler Pilot Road 4 Trail, touring.
    My wife, on her 12GS, says I go too slow for her to keep her bike up when it's wet and windy in curves.
    Pilot Road 43 Trails are Michelin tires...

    that said, i would recommend 36 front/42 rear when on pavement....if you plan much off road excursions, i would recommend 30/34 for the big bike....

    the PR4s are GREAT tires in the wet and offer outstanding traction on curves....just be gentle on the throttle and brakes...and keep your wife in sight....
    ~wyman~

    2015 S1000R - Duke - Black Storm Metallic
    2013 R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic

  5. #5
    K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Urbana, IL
    Posts
    3,756
    Quote Originally Posted by wyman.winn View Post
    Pilot Road 43 Trails are Michelin tires...

    that said, i would recommend 36 front/42 rear when on pavement....if you plan much off road excursions, i would recommend 30/34 for the big bike....

    the PR4s are GREAT tires in the wet and offer outstanding traction on curves....just be gentle on the throttle and brakes...and keep your wife in sight....
    Oh rats...meant Michelin.

    Thanks for the answer. I think I'm pretty much running that...I thought maybe too high, but the air supports the load. I get that.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

  6. #6
    Registered User wyman.winn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Solvang, CA
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    Oh rats...meant Michelin.

    Thanks for the answer. I think I'm pretty much running that...I thought maybe too high, but the air supports the load. I get that.
    oops, not PR43 but rather PR4....
    ~wyman~

    2015 S1000R - Duke - Black Storm Metallic
    2013 R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bath, Mi
    Posts
    96

    Tire Presure

    Attended a tire seminar a couple of weeks ago hosted by BMW Grand Rapids Mi. The seminar was sponsored by Michellin with the tire representative presenting having 30 years in the tire industry, made the point multiple times that the majority of motorcycle owners run their tires to LOW.

    I have a 2012 GS with Pilot Road 4 Trails, I specifically had the rep examine my tires, currently 7,700 miles on them, he pointed out some minor cupping on the FRONT beginning due to UNDER inflation. I monitor my tire inflation weekly and always have 36F & 40R. I ride solo 99% on the time, without any luggage etc. The rep suggested to run air pressure at the tire manufacturers sidewall MAX, which for the PR4 Trails is 42 pounds

    He also spoke to the huge inaccuracy of tire gauges, so make sure your gauge is accurate.

    73516

  8. #8
    Registered User lkchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    5,654
    Pressures are listed on a sticker under the seat.

    You won't find any better recommendations on the internet.
    Kent Christensen
    21482
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Pressures are listed on a sticker under the seat.

    You won't find any better recommendations on the internet.
    IMO, these pressures may make the bike handle as designed, but will not do nice things to a PR4 front tire. Cupping and the sides wearing out prematurely.
    2005 BMW R1200RT
    1988 BMW K100RS

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    AL/FL Gulf Coast
    Posts
    68
    [QUOTE=lkchris;1050146]Pressures are listed on a sticker under the seat.QUOTE]

    I would use these values as minimum on the street and PSI listed on tires as the Maximum, period. Anything in between is up to the individual.

  11. #11
    Registered User lkchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    5,654
    Quote Originally Posted by alegerlotz View Post
    IMO, these pressures may make the bike handle as designed, but will not do nice things to a PR4 front tire. Cupping and the sides wearing out prematurely.
    Add to this "will maximize safety."

    Any attempt to obtain exceptional mileage from a motorcycle tire compromises safety.
    Kent Christensen
    21482
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Add to this "will maximize safety."

    Any attempt to obtain exceptional mileage from a motorcycle tire compromises safety.
    Every car I've ever owned handles better (including stopping) with 2 to 4 psi more air in the tires. Based on my personal experience, my RT handles better this way too.

    OEM specs for tires are based on a number of things, comfort being one of them, and are a compromise of all of the those things.
    Last edited by alegerlotz; 06-15-2016 at 01:09 PM.
    2005 BMW R1200RT
    1988 BMW K100RS

  13. #13
    Registered User AHD43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    110
    Where can I get my tire pressure gauge tested for accuracy?
    "Whether you think you can...or you think you can't -- you're right"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •