• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1200GT Quits again! Da'Oh

RTRay

I went out to ride to work today, started up my '08 GT normally, after which it quit and started flashing the engine symbol,yellow triangle, and red gear symbol. I turned the key off for about 30 seconds then turned out back on and the bike started up but still flashed the engine light and wouldn't show what gear it was in. I shut the bike down and pushed it back into the garage, then tried starting it again and it started up but still flashed lights, but would show what gear I was in. I called the BMW dealer service who told me not to drive it but bring it in for service.

I have only put 850 miles on this bike and it has now quit and been towed to the dealer every 400 miles. According to the dealer all the recalls and service bulletins have been performed, and since it only has 4,300 miles the bike looks like new. I have put over 135,000 miles on my 'RT's and never had a problem. I'm starting to think this bike looks great but is junk.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I have a 2007 model, I think the panels are the same....what is the red gear symbol? If the yellow triangle comes on and the engine symbol comes on, the bike is in emergency operating mode. There should be some fault codes being thrown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 2007 model, I think the panels are the same....what is the red gear symbol? If the yellow triangle comes on and the engine symbol comes on, the bike is in emergency operating mode. There should be some fault codes being thrown.

I hope so. Can't get it to the dealer until Friday. I was going to take it on a trip up along the Mississippi river to MSP next week but it looks like I'll be riding my trusty RT instead. Seems like I've got a 600lb paper weight in the garage now. [emoji35] [emoji35]

If it's a triangle with an arrow going around it in the lower right, it's the ASC warning indicator. The ABS would be a square with Brake Failure in it

After getting home tonight I went out and started the GT which started right up normally as if nothing had been wrong. I think it's just messing with me.

It started normally again today. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong?

It started normally again today. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong?

When you turn on the key and start the bike, are you waiting for all the diagnostics to complete before hitting the starter? I find that getting in a hurry with the starter button sometimes seems to...confuse...the diagnostics and I get brinky rights on the dash. YMMV, if course.
Best,

DGerber

I thought I was waiting until the checks were done. It's at the dealer now but they can't find anything wrong with it except never had the air box replaced when it was recalled. Looks like BMW might do it free since it has such low miles.

BMW now says that the Air box would cause all the problems I've had and they are replacing it and updating the computer for the new box. I have no idea why the original owner didn't have this done many years ago. He had everything else fixed that was recalled.

Guess what? BMW now says they won't cover the Air box replacement but would gladly charge me $1300 to fix the problem, which is caused by a design flaw. It seems they don't want to fix a problem they caused. I'm done with BMW.

Last edited:
Somebody jump in here, but I believe that the airbox is a warranty thing from BMW. I would call another dealer to check...Thant just me

Somebody jump in here, but I believe that the airbox is a warranty thing from BMW. I would call another dealer to check...Thant just me

If you had the issues while in warranty, the airbox and redesigned air valve upgrade would happen. It was not a recall, just a service bulletin...a big difference.

Some dealers would help with cost of parts , you still paid for labor if happened after the warranty expired within reasonable time limits.

Not a problem anymore. It's gone and I bought a new FJR1300ES.

Thanks! It's an amazing machine! With my nearest BMW dealer 87 miles away and having a good friend who owns a Yamaha shop 15 miles away it only made sense to switch. I don't have the time to be taking my bike to the dealer so far away. I imaging the FJR will be more reliable.

Back