• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Harrison, Arkansas ride Memorial Day

Yep, some mighty fine riding round there. :wave

Yep, no doubt about it. Got to ride a lot of the suggested routes and more and enjoyed every minute of it. Not a bad road in the area. Even dragged a side case somehow without the wife yelling at me about leaning too far. (Just kidding - she never does that). Traffic was very light on the back roads and I enjoyed the riding more than NC overall. She preferred NC because they have better mountain views of course. I would recommend this area to anyone who wants some relaxing rides that can be challenging but not so technical you can't enjoy them (AKA The Dragon IMHO). Visiting the week of Memorial Day presented no challenges at all. The weather forecast was terrible (80% chance of thunderstorms all days) but we were blessed to be riding where it wasn't raining almost all of the time. What few showers we rode through felt good and posed no problem. The only hiccup was I managed to drop her helmet off the bike which scuffed the paint good. Do I really need to replace it now if there is no other visible damage? It is only 2 years old. Was pretty bummed out about it.

Any pics of the ride?

The only hiccup was I managed to drop her helmet off the bike which scuffed the paint good. Do I really need to replace it now if there is no other visible damage? It is only 2 years old. Was pretty bummed out about it.

I've always heard that the helmet is meant to survive one impact. Depends on the height of the drop. If it was me, I'd replace it. How would you feel if she had a spill and suffered some head trauma from it? You'll never know if the helmet is compromised until you need it. Not meaning to lecture in any way. Good luck with the decision.

I've always heard that the helmet is meant to survive one impact. Depends on the height of the drop. If it was me, I'd replace it. How would you feel if she had a spill and suffered some head trauma from it? You'll never know if the helmet is compromised until you need it. Not meaning to lecture in any way. Good luck with the decision.

I would not replace the helmet. There is a GIANT difference between an impact with a head in the helmet and dropping it from the seat to the ground. In the case of a simple drop, no styrofoam is going to be compressed. That is what cushions your noggin. If the helmet was dropped off an overpass or from an airplane, and the shell was compromised, absolutely it should be replaced. But scuffing the paint would not cause ME to replace it, unless I was wearing it when it got scuffed!

Do what your good sense tells you based on the situation. But if the shell is good and no internal compression took place, it's a no-brainer to me. And I'm OCD about helmets.

Last edited:
Back