• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

98 K1200RS Rear Brake Failure

rileous

I bought my 98 K1200RS in April 2014 with 28K miles on her. I have put an additional 22K on the bike since. Near the end of 2014 had all the brake pads replaced as a matter of preventive maintenance. 10K later at the 48K inspection the tech said the rear pads were down to less than 25%. Service manager suggested that I was riding brake. I seldom use the rear brake! Next ride going into tight 90 degree RH turn I thought I saw sand and was going too fast (as usual)so I used the rear brake and there was NO brake. I managed the turn because the perception of sand was incorrect. Took bike back to dealer next day....tech spent several hours on it and found nothing wrong.
Next weekend saw me at Fontana Dam Resort in a raging downpour. I absolutely had not touched rear brake on ride to Fontana. I was in parking lot and had just finished backing up and tried to start forward but rear brake had locked up and I went down hard on left side. Trashed my left knee and demolished LF turn signal. It took 3 men to help me get bike back up and after inspection, rear wheel was free so I rode around the mountain and found a room. Next morning, I had to use rear brake to prevent running out in front of traffic from side road....gravel road, mud and sand at end of road. I rode 2 miles to gas station and stopped at pump. When I got off bike, rear end was SMOKING....for at least 15 minutes.
Bike is in shop now and they don't know why the brake did this. Replacing damaged parts (warped disc, cooked caliper, etc.) and ALL brake lines (and turn signal) for good measure will cost app. 2 grand. How can I trust this bike now? I have read the complaints about ABS pump failure on forums and the NHTSB web site and the pump failure doesn't seem to happen on the 98s. Current theory is bad brake line not allowing fluid to return to master cylinder?????
I will appreciate any and all comments on this TIA, Rileous
P.S. Tail of the Dragon was awesome, will have to go back every year.

I bought my 98 K1200RS in April 2014 with 28K miles on her. I have put an additional 22K on the bike since. Near the end of 2014 had all the brake pads replaced as a matter of preventive maintenance. 10K later at the 48K inspection the tech said the rear pads were down to less than 25%. Service manager suggested that I was riding brake. I seldom use the rear brake! Next ride going into tight 90 degree RH turn I thought I saw sand and was going too fast (as usual)so I used the rear brake and there was NO brake. I managed the turn because the perception of sand was incorrect. Took bike back to dealer next day....tech spent several hours on it and found nothing wrong.
Next weekend saw me at Fontana Dam Resort in a raging downpour. I absolutely had not touched rear brake on ride to Fontana. I was in parking lot and had just finished backing up and tried to start forward but rear brake had locked up and I went down hard on left side. Trashed my left knee and demolished LF turn signal. It took 3 men to help me get bike back up and after inspection, rear wheel was free so I rode around the mountain and found a room. Next morning, I had to use rear brake to prevent running out in front of traffic from side road....gravel road, mud and sand at end of road. I rode 2 miles to gas station and stopped at pump. When I got off bike, rear end was SMOKING....for at least 15 minutes.
Bike is in shop now and they don't know why the brake did this. Replacing damaged parts (warped disc, cooked caliper, etc.) and ALL brake lines (and turn signal) for good measure will cost app. 2 grand. How can I trust this bike now? I have read the complaints about ABS pump failure on forums and the NHTSB web site and the pump failure doesn't seem to happen on the 98s. Current theory is bad brake line not allowing fluid to return to master cylinder?????
I will appreciate any and all comments on this TIA, Rileous
P.S. Tail of the Dragon was awesome, will have to go back every year.

If the brake lines are still the original rubber set, your theory is most likely correct. Time to replace them all (F & R) with a set from Spiegler. There are a few threads that show how the original rubber line deteriorate internally.

Yep, I would agree with Bob, brake lines are 18 years old and only 46,000 miles on them.....they were ripe for replacement 8-10 years ago. All of mine have been replaced, many not soon enough as they failed though not in the manner yours did, I just lost brake power slowly, no lock up for me. Once the lines are replaced and other work is done, you are good to go. Trust has to be earned gradually.

Back