• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Stalling!!

temesvar

I read the thread about 2011 RT stalling/bucking/misfiring.
My 2008 RT ,with 19K km is just at the first stage:stalling!
No bucking nor misfiring, at lest not just yet
I have the bike for about 6 months/2000km. Never a problem
until a week ago when, in traffic, the motor just stopped. No
warning light, no sign of power failure. Just like if it ran out of gas, or switched the ignition off.
Pulled over, desperate and upset. thinking as what will do,to take the bike home.
After about a min. figured i will try one time to start it, before pushing it somewhere aside.
It started like nothing was wrong! For a week had no problem, until just yesterday
when it stalled again. Same way, just stopped! Pulled over, and restarted it with no problems.
No bumpy road, tank about half full (or empty...) Am not sure if i refilled since it first happened.

Any suggestions welcome.

Do you know if the FPC Recall has been done on your bike? This does sound like one of the symptoms.

Call your dealer and give them your VIN and they can see what recalls are outstanding. Specifically they can see if the FPC (fuel pump controller) has been done yet.

There was a recall for the 2006-2008 GS, but AFAIK there has never been a recall of the fuel pressure controllers for the RT. Quite a few failures and replacements, but generally all at the owners' expense.

Though the symptoms do match a FPC failure, I thought that by 2008 BMW was using the more reliable black model rather than the failure-prone silver version? Maybe not... :dunno

A Google search will tell you more about symptoms, and temporary bypass cables.

Do you know if the FPC Recall has been done on your bike? This does sound like one of the symptoms.

Since you also have a 2008, did you have to take yours in for this recall?
Was just wondering. The PO says no recall for FPC, only for the
fuel tank seal and rear wheel flange. At least, that is what he had.
Thanks, Ken!

Thanks Steve, that thread sure comes in handy!!
Now i just need the time to figure out how
and when to get to it :)

You can see it looking down on left side as sitting on bike.not much tupperware to remove to get to it, the left shark nose if any at all should open it up to get to the screw on a RT I recall. You can at least see what color it is

The FPC was replaced as a warranty issue and not a recall. My 09GSA failed after the warranty ran out, I bought one and popped it in.

You can see it looking down on left side as sitting on bike.not much tupperware to remove to get to it, the left shark nose if any at all should open it up to get to the screw on a RT I recall. You can at least see what color it is

The FPC was replaced as a warranty issue and not a recall. My 09GSA failed after the warranty ran out, I bought one and popped it in.

Can you suggest where to buy it from? The bike stalled again today, in plain traffic. :bangheadAm not riding it anymore unless have it fixed. Will try replacing that first, as it very well may be the cause of the problem. As for a GS 911, is there any in particular i should get? noticed there are a few kinds on eBay.
Thanks again,

My 06 has stalled a half-dozen times over the years. Can't really recall a pattern, except that I was stopped. No big deal...just pressed the button again. I'm not saying don't worry about it, get the recalls done, but I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it if it restarts easily.
-Scott

My 06 has stalled a half-dozen times over the years. Can't really recall a pattern, except that I was stopped. No big deal...just pressed the button again. I'm not saying don't worry about it, get the recalls done, but I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it if it restarts easily.
-Scott

This bike is rather new to me, have it for about 6 months and put on about 2000km. That is because riding season is just about to start! Had no issues with it so far, but 3 times in last 2 weeks. Am not even sure that is the problem. As a FPC recall, was never one for RT, for what i understand.

Can you suggest where to buy it from? The bike stalled again today, in plain traffic. :bangheadAm not riding it anymore unless have it fixed. Will try replacing that first, as it very well may be the cause of the problem. As for a GS 911, is there any in particular i should get? noticed there are a few kinds on eBay.
Thanks again,

I would eyeball the FPC for visual clues first, like the thread discusses, like corrosion. If it is an anodized black unit...might not be your issue.
It's not an aftermarket part, a dealer is your choice.buying a used one is sketchy , though I know they are available.

As far as the GS-911...buyer beware if you buy a knockoff China clone.

There are some used yellow, non wi-fi units available that will work on your bike. Most are being sold as the '14 and newer bikes require the new red wi-fi unit.

US vendor on west coast:
I would run the unit serial number by them to check it's status if that is possible
https://www.beemershop.com/
http://www.hexcode.co.za/

I would eyeball the FPC for visual clues first, like the thread discusses, like corrosion. If it is an anodized black unit...might not be your issue.
]

Easy enough to get to it, not as bad as i thought.
Inside the well was enough water to make a baby duck happy!!
Hard to believe, but this is what i found:!!!

2015-12393-picture58074-img-0432.jpg

Thanks to all that responded, and especially henzilla and racer7

Welcome to the crappy design failure club:banghead

I now would be more inclined to say you have the problem located.
Was it the silver unit?

Just casual water sitting there can cause it...using a high pressure wand anywhere near will accelerate the failure.
For those who haven't had it happen...take a good look, it will on those two models, GS and RT...The R is under tank...forget where the ST's sits

Easy enough to get to it, not as bad as i thought.
Inside the well was enough water to make a baby duck happy!!
Hard to believe, but this is what i found:!!!

2015-12393-picture58074-img-0432.jpg

Thanks to all that responded, and especially henzilla and racer7

Wow!!!! At least there is no doubt. Mine failed and visually showed zero water or effects of water however it failed suddenly nonetheless and never recovered.

Welcome to the crappy design failure club:banghead

I now would be more inclined to say you have the problem located.
Was it the silver unit?

Just casual water sitting there can cause it...using a high pressure wand anywhere near will accelerate the failure.
For those who haven't had it happen...take a good look, it will on those two models, GS and RT...The R is under tank...forget where the ST's sits

Yes Steve, it was the silver unit. And i only washed the bike once...That water is in since last year!!
No response yet from the dealers for the price of a controller. Meanwhile will clean it and hope to still
ride it until i get the new unit. In a way am glad this happened now and not somewhere on the road. At least
am aware of this condition. With the new unit will put a bid of silicone on the gasket. That should protect it.
If it wasn't for this forum, the bike would have ended up at the dealer!! Am sure thankful for your help!!
Now i have to look around for a GS911...:type

Wow!!!! At least there is no doubt. Mine failed and visually showed zero water or effects of water however it failed suddenly nonetheless and never recovered.

There was at least 1/2" of water at the bottom of that well!! Am surprised never had a problem so far!
In a way was hopping to find water there! That way i know what the problem was!!

Back