• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1984 RT front brake problem

jgr451

I have a 1984 R100RT ,great bike.It has double Brembo disc brakes up front.This year it acquired the nasty habit of having the calipers seize to the rotors.I rebuilt the master cylinder but it did it again.Any ideas?

The mechanic told me there was a slight corrosion in the bore of the master cylinder when he replaced the piston and the rubber,which he honed out.He didn't say about the bores in the calipers;worth a look.I have focussed on the master cylinder because both brakes seized,not just one,and I thought it too coincidental that both sides would give the same problem at the same time.Thanks for the thought.

Seems a little difficult to determine both brakes are seized at once without careful visual inspection, but nevertheless if your bike has been exposed to conditions that will create corrosion in the master cylinder, the same conditions were present to affect the calipers as well.

You'll find hardly anyone that recommends rebuilding a master cylinder and new ones are relatively inexpensive. Calipers are probably another matter.

Hi Kent,thanks for your reply.First time it happened I knew it was both sides because both rotors were smoking and blue!!The second time, I noticed the onset as the lever got stiff, so I stopped before the seizure was complete.
I have been afraid to ask for the price of a new or used master cylinder,and anyway,I am not sure that is the problem yet.I asked the mechanic whether the bores in the calipers could be the problem.He saud no,or the brake fluid would not have released from the bleeder.
It seems to me there is a logic here that is escaping me.I feel like I should be able to figure out the problem!! :confused:

Even if the caliper siezed you could still get fluid from the bleeder. I think that the mechanic had better think that one over. I once had a sticking caliper on my cage, and the culprit was a bubble inside the brake hose that attached to it, maybe a set of brake hoses will help. Just a thought..

this was a bubble in the lining, not an air bubble, It kept the fluid from traveling back to the master cylinder after the brake pedal was released. I switched the caliper first, and should have tried the cheaper hose before I did that.

Hi Lorazepam(great handle by the way).The mechanic suggested there might be a problem with the brake hose.How would a guy find out whether it is master cylinder,brake hose or caliper?Short of changing everything out,one piece at a time.Plus there are 3 fron brake hoses...

Thanks for your advice,I appreciate it.:)

I would say if both calipers are sticking, then the hose leading from the master cycinder to the manifold is the culprit, if it is just one caliper sticking, I would try that hose first.

Back