Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2011 R1200R Stalling / Bucking / Mis-Firing

2011 R1200R Stalling / Bucking / Mis-Firing

Okay, calling all Camhead owners to chime in. Here is my problem- We just took delivery of a new to us 2011 R1200R Classic with 74K miles. The bike was awesome the day we received it (Friday). The next day (Saturday) we took a 200 mile drive and about 90 miles in, coming to a stop, the bike died. Started back up and ran fine for the next 10 minutes, then stalled again. We stopped for lunch, about an hour, come out and it started fine. We rode 100 miles back home and when we pulled up in the driveway, it died again. I hooked it to GS-911 with no fault codes. I re-calibrated the idle actuators and started checking things. Waited about 30 minutes and the bike started and ran fine. I took it out all night for about another 100 miles of stop and go, and dinner, and gas. It started fine and ran great all night. Didn't ride on Sunday and Monday was raining. Tuesday, we went for a short ride, it started fine and about 30 mins into the ride started bucking like a bronco and sounding really bad, and of course it stalled out. This time upon restart, it idled very erratically and up and down and then after about 7 seconds, stalled. Finally it started and limped home, bucking and bogging down. Upon return home, it would not start, ....let me add, it would start if you held the throttle open, but as soon as you let go, it would die. And while you held the throttle on, it sounded horrible. I started taking the bike apart, I did find the tank vent clogged with rust, I cleared the line. I have talked with several people over the last few days, (thank you Don Eilenberger and Jim von Baden), and I came to the conclusion to order some coils. I received them yesterday, but I guess I was to hasty and actually got the ones for a Hexhead. I was going to pull the spark plugs and check those, but I have now realized I don't have a 14mm deep socket, so I will get one today. I have checked the fuel pump with the GS-911 as well as the Fuel Injectors and Idle Actuators. I am looking for some more input or maybe someone who has experience with this problem, or knows someone who has.
    Brian Hinton
    2007 R1200R
    2007 K1200GT
    1987 K75T

Old School

r1200rt stalling

Had a terrible time with a new 2012 r1200rt quitting in traffic ( at odd times), dealer finally replaced a cam or crank sensor, can't remember which. Would always restart after quitting. This was almost 4 years ago, no more problems.

The cheap theory is that you have water in the fuel - splashing around and getting sucked up at odd moments. Try a half bottle of Heet or Isoheet in the fuel tank. It is worth a shot before digging deeper if needed.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 04-17-2016 at 03:19 AM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    The cheap theory is that you have water in the fuel - splashing around and getting sucked up at odd moments. Try a half bottle of Heet or Iseheet in the fuel tank. It is worth a short before digging deeper if needed.
    Paul,

Brian sent me images of the plugs - and that's exactly my thinking. Especially since it had a plugged up cap-drain. Looking at the plug photos the bottom plugs are literally dripping something - gas/water? Dunno. Whatever - they weren't firing that's for sure, and the top/center plugs are covered with a lot of fluff/carbon. Not at all normal looking.

I suggested Brian squirt the injectors in a clear glass bottle and then let it sit and see if he spots water separation. Haven't heard from him in a few hours - so perhaps he has. Or drained the tank as I suggested. Also suggested HEET - since I know that's one you frequently recommend.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Ursula got gas from the same pump Saraha's R1200R did last Saturday. Though I try to avoid ethanol in Ursula's tank group rides... Anyway... Haven't experienced any water or fuel contamination issues with Ursula, I'm guessing coils. Giving Brian a call after post as we are scheduled to ride together tomorrow.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA charter club #5
    SECMOA (BMW MOA secretary)

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Ursula got gas from the same pump Saraha's R1200R did last Saturday. Though I try to avoid ethanol in Ursula's tank group rides... Anyway... Haven't experienced any water or fuel contamination issues with Ursula, I'm guessing coils. Giving Brian a call after post as we are scheduled to ride together tomorrow.
    I suspect the water problem might be caused by a plugged fuel-cap drain. Brian mentioned clearing it out - it was heavily rusted. On the R1200R - this area was not adequately protected against rust, and there was no gasket around the outer edge of the cap assembly. If you know Brian's other R1200R - my old one - there is a gasket around the cap (off an S1000RR - fits right on - same cap assembly) and the area and drain were treated with an aircraft grade anti-rust coating.

What happens when the drain plugs up - water from rain, or even washing the bike sits around the filler hole in the gully that's there (and higher if it's really plugged up.) The rider opens the cap to fuel up - and the water drains right into the tank, pretty much before they notice it. Do it enough times you can get enough water in the tank to cause problems.

IMHO - that's what happened with Brian's fiancÚ's R1200R. Water doesn't burn well.

While your bike may not have a problem - it also probably didn't have a plugged up rain-drain. I suggested a few things to Brian via text message to try.. haven't heard back from him yet on the results, but since ALL the plugs exhibit problems - I'm guessing not coils. That could simply turn out to be an expensive guess which probably won't help anything. His plugs are also due for replacement - so it is worth doing them too.

It's a mystery. Brian will get it figured out. He's a smart one. Talked to him and Shannon just as he got back from a test ride. It's just a matter of time before he gets it sorted.
    MOA # 143779
    MOA charter club #5

Okay guys, I'm going to get some Heet tomorrow. I will try the injectors, Don..... how do I squirt them in a glass container? I just got tired of tinkering and wanted to go riding and get some dinner. Sitting across from Shannon at the Cracker Barrel watching her pouty lip as her "new to her" bike has a hiccup.
    Brian Hinton
    2007 R1200R
    2007 K1200GT
    1987 K75T

Poor poor Shannon. I know this extrusion of the lower lip you speak of.
    MOA # 143779
    MOA charter club #5

Quote Originally Posted by brianhinton View Post
    Okay guys, I'm going to get some Heet tomorrow. I will try the injectors, Don..... how do I squirt them in a glass container? I just got tired of tinkering and wanted to go riding and get some dinner. Sitting across from Shannon at the Cracker Barrel watching her pouty lip as her "new to her" bike has a hiccup.
    Brian - you remove them from the throttle bodies (one screw) - leave the wiring and plumbing connected - and point them at a clear glass container. It's best to do this outside with a fire extinguisher handy. I'd also disconnect all the coils (as in carefully remove the wire going into them from the wiring harness - you have to lift the little clip up a bit to do that..) Then try cranking it over. The injectors should squirt. If you're ambitious - take a plug out of each cylinder so it's not cranking over against compression.

Capture what comes out, let it settle for a bit - and look for a line in it - a boundary line between gas (on top) and water (on the bottom.) You'll need both injectors in a container when you do it since both will be squirting.

Or just dump HEET in and go for a ride.. :-)

If this fixes it - drain the tank as dry as you can get it, and consider replacing the fuel filter (under the tank.) And you might want to get new plugs - those ones don't owe you anything, and plugs that got that soaked never seem to be the same afterwards (lesson learned on K75's..) While you're getting those you might order the gasket for the cap - tell them it's for an S1000RR - early model. It fits like it was made for it (look at your other bike, my old one..)

And tell Shannon everything WILL BE OK.. it's just a "glitch.." and you're bonding with the new one.

You could also try re-setting the adaptations with your GS-911.

I did reset all the values, it had no change with the bike. Plugs and could should be here tomorrow or Wednesday. Hopefully all will okay in the universe, if not, it's a trip to the dealer.
    Brian Hinton
    2007 R1200R
    2007 K1200GT
    1987 K75T

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post

Capture what comes out, let it settle for a bit - and look for a line in it - a boundary line between gas (on top) and water (on the bottom.) You'll need both injectors in a container when you do it since both will be squirting.

Or just dump HEET in and go for a ride.. :-)
    Don, did the injector pull and gas was clean, no water. I put the Heet in there also and went for a ride. Same as before, started fine, after about minutes, bucking and acting crazy and then the stall. Plugs and coils will be here this week. If that doesn't do it, the only other thing I could go after is the fuel pump or ECU.
    Brian Hinton
    2007 R1200R
    2007 K1200GT
    1987 K75T

I don't know how the fuel filer might obstruct fuel flow intermittently (and not just at high flow), but I wonder: it's part of the fuel delivery system, and impaired flow could result in the symptoms you observe. You might consider removing it from the list of possible issues by just replacing it. It's on the exterior of the tank at the front, requires the tank to be removed. Not a difficult job.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

I had a Vulcan 500 that, out of the blue, intermittently, started cranking poorly, starting hard, mis-firing and bucking while driving. It turned out to be a loose connection on one of the battery terminals. Tightened up the connection and it ran smooth as silk.