• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Speakin'a staying in shape

Caught a news segment the other night about the Rolling Stones playing a concert / show somewhere. Mick Jagger running, jumping back & forth on stage while singing !! @ 72 ?? I'd like to know what the hell his secret is ? :scratch

Last edited:
Caught a news segment the other night about the Rolling Stones playing a concert / show somewhere. Mick Jagger running, jumping back & forth on stage while singing !! @ 72 ?? I'd like to know what the hell his secret is ? :scratch

I think the fact he is running, jumping back and forth on stage on a regular basis. How many of us are willing to do that a few times let alone on a regular basis.

I think the fact he is running, jumping back and forth on stage on a regular basis. How many of us are willing to do that a few times let alone on a regular basis.

You may be exactly right....now if'in they'd pay me the same as him ? :thumb

Genetics. He was interviewed about this just last week and said most of the time, he lets himself go a bit but when a tour is coming up he ups his diet quality and works out. If you look at the guy all the way back to when he was very young, it's pretty obvious he's naturally very lean and just has that extra oomph some people have. I myself do NOT have the extra oomph.

Another celebrity Kudo....to Paul McCartney 74 years old & as per the radio talk show caller...he [McCartney] played & sang 38 songs over a three hour period at a recent concert. Yes I know that's no Olympic event .....but damn that has to take some endurance. :dunno

Another celebrity Kudo....to Paul McCartney 74 years old & as per the radio talk show caller...he [McCartney] played & sang 38 songs over a three hour period at a recent concert. Yes I know that's no Olympic event .....but damn that has to take some endurance. :dunno

The flip side of this coin is that a handful of people work(ed) long and hard so he could come out and sing for three + hours. His regular crew travels with him and for a set-up as large as his, perhaps 60-100 "locals" work each day in each city. This summer, on Sir Paul's stadium tour, he'll have two large stages which will leap-frog about. These will take 5 or 6 days to set up. Then there'll be a day & 1/2 of production load in for the 3 hour show, and two solid (round-the-clock) days to load production out & strike the stage itself.
Not to mention that if you saw it on a video... that's a whole other level of crew and pre/post production.

SO, however "amazing" it is for Paul or Mick to do their thing for a couple hours a day... all the stuff that goes into it is equally or maybe more amazing. Plenty of us "old guys" (AND girls and young/old hands of all stripes) out there behind the scenes bustin our chops for rock n roll. :dance

The flip side of this coin is that a handful of people work(ed) long and hard so he could come out and sing for three + hours. His regular crew travels with him and for a set-up as large as his, perhaps 60-100 "locals" work each day in each city. This summer, on Sir Paul's stadium tour, he'll have two large stages which will leap-frog about. These will take 5 or 6 days to set up. Then there'll be a day & 1/2 of production load in for the 3 hour show, and two solid (round-the-clock) days to load production out & strike the stage itself.
Not to mention that if you saw it on a video... that's a whole other level of crew and pre/post production.

SO, however "amazing" it is for Paul or Mick to do their thing for a couple hours a day... all the stuff that goes into it is equally or maybe more amazing. Plenty of us "old guys" (AND girls and young/old hands of all stripes) out there behind the scenes bustin our chops for rock n roll. :dance

perhaps so but,....what does that have to do with senior entertainers displaying youthful endurance ?

"Behind the scenes" stories can be entertaining. A number of years ago I was hired, along with about 15 of my Okanagan Symphony colleagues, to perform with the Three Tenors - well, the Canadian "Three Tenors." But they were a big deal then - maybe still are for all I know - and the venue for the gig is the Kelowna hockey rink. We sign contracts, get the music to practice (some quite difficult,) have a rehearsal before the gig which we all play well. And I'm wondering - how do they make our group sound like a full symphony orchestra? Bet they have all the different instrument groups (or even individual instruments) on different tracks. Since I'm playing 1st clarinet, they must be balancing my miced sound with a recorded 2nd clarinet. Same with the rest of the wind section where there are only first desk players. Man, this is pretty exciting! I've seen at least a dozen huge trailers in the lot for all the stage, lighting and sound gear. I've never played anything like this and am frankly just thrilled.

So the orchestra goes on stage. We tune up. The conductor comes on stage, wearing a headset. Then I notice something missing - a microphone for my clarinet. I DID play my parts as all of us did, but we were simply an "air orchestra" and I'm sure not a note we played was heard by the audience. Yes, we did get paid to be part of an illusion. But the recorded sound was all that the audience heard.

I have certainly played a lot of bad gigs over a 50 year career as a musician, but now that I remember this one, I think it takes the #1 position, just ahead of the NYE gig I played outdoors this past winter. The temp was seriously below freezing. Playing alto and tenor sax, the moisture from my breath dribbled down to the first open tone hole and froze. I was able to play one piece on each instrument before it froze, meaning both horns were unplayable. So I was again an "air sax" player, because I couldn't play rather than I wasn't miced.

I guess they would be a tie: In neither case was my playing heard and I got paid for both gigs. Trust you understand these are both low lights in my musical career.

I'd like to know what the hell his secret is ? :scratch

Jagger's daily exercise regimen includes running 8 miles, swimming, cycling and kickboxing. He has a Norwegian personal trainer whose other clients include Olympic athletes. Jagger is estimated to cover 12 miles during a typical stage show.

But I would think that all A list entertainers have incredible personal energy, or they wouldn't be what they are.

and all the IATSE types

All those crew guys and gals, IATSE and otherwise, keep us safe, and make sure the audience gets to enjoy the show! take a bow, electricians, carp's, locals, flymen, dressers!

"Behind the scenes" stories can be entertaining. A number of years ago I was hired, along with about 15 of my Okanagan Symphony colleagues, to perform with the Three Tenors - well, the Canadian "Three Tenors." But they were a big deal then - maybe still are for all I know - and the venue for the gig is the Kelowna hockey rink. We sign contracts, get the music to practice (some quite difficult,) have a rehearsal before the gig which we all play well. And I'm wondering - how do they make our group sound like a full symphony orchestra? Bet they have all the different instrument groups (or even individual instruments) on different tracks. Since I'm playing 1st clarinet, they must be balancing my miced sound with a recorded 2nd clarinet. Same with the rest of the wind section where there are only first desk players. Man, this is pretty exciting! I've seen at least a dozen huge trailers in the lot for all the stage, lighting and sound gear. I've never played anything like this and am frankly just thrilled.

So the orchestra goes on stage. We tune up. The conductor comes on stage, wearing a headset. Then I notice something missing - a microphone for my clarinet. I DID play my parts as all of us did, but we were simply an "air orchestra" and I'm sure not a note we played was heard by the audience. Yes, we did get paid to be part of an illusion. But the recorded sound was all that the audience heard.

I have certainly played a lot of bad gigs over a 50 year career as a musician, but now that I remember this one, I think it takes the #1 position, just ahead of the NYE gig I played outdoors this past winter. The temp was seriously below freezing. Playing alto and tenor sax, the moisture from my breath dribbled down to the first open tone hole and froze. I was able to play one piece on each instrument before it froze, meaning both horns were unplayable. So I was again an "air sax" player, because I couldn't play rather than I wasn't miced.

I guess they would be a tie: In neither case was my playing heard and I got paid for both gigs. Trust you understand these are both low lights in my musical career.
we love the guys and gals in the pit!!!! Live music, and union musicians every show, every venue!

What I admire is the creativity. Jagger/Richards have come up some very enduring tunes that sound as good today as they did decades ago. If you think that is easy, why not come up with some yourself?

Jagger and crew have (at least most of them) outlived many rock stars who died far too young.

Harry

What I admire is the creativity. Jagger/Richards have come up some very enduring tunes that sound as good today as they did decades ago.

I watched a Jagger nterview once, and he seems to be extremely bright. He studied at the London School of Economics.

I took my kids, ages 23 and 19 to the show in Portland on April 15. I've seen him about six times but I wanted my kids to experience some of the greatest music ever and the soundtrack of my life before he calls it quits for good. I've also seen the Stones and they are terrific but hands down McCartney puts on the most amazing shows. Someone mentioned all the equipment/personnel that go into making these shows the sound and lighting extravaganzas that they are. While milling around outside the venue before the show, I counted 18 semi-tractor/trailer rigs associated with the show.

A couple of crappy iPhone pics.

McCartney 3.jpg

McCartney 1.jpg

McCartney 2.jpg

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oT-ArKNdtKY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Harry

Back