• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K11 heat

gdunsmoor

In hot weather or slow in-town traffic in warm weather, my '96 K1100rs runs so hot that the aluminum tank roasts the inside of my legs. My local dealer found an metallic, reflective heat resistant material apparently designed as an option for the RT and lined the underside of the tank and side panels, but in the summer, the tank will still burn my legs. The fan operates normally and coolant levels are fine.
Can anyone tell me if this is normal? Hard to believe that BMW would allow such a design flaw go into a production bike. Any input would be appreciated.
Gary

K11RS Heat

The heat will burn you. Unfortunately, it is normal on K11RS bikes. Do you have the tank pads? They will help. Leathers or textile pants are actually more comfortable on the K11RS in summer than jeans are. You might get someone to offer a solution over on the K11 Owners web site. I fixed our K11RS by switching to a K12RS. :clap Absolutely no engine heat. THe K11RS is a great bike, but the K12RS is sooooo smooth and fast....

I discovered a long time ago that the key to staying cool on my K75 was wearing my 'stich. Same with my airhead. The air coming off the cylinders absolutely roasted my legs in hot weather. The 'stich gave me enough insulation to keep me cooler.

KBasa said:
I discovered a long time ago that the key to staying cool on my K75 was wearing my 'stich. Same with my airhead. The air coming off the cylinders absolutely roasted my legs in hot weather. The 'stich gave me enough insulation to keep me cooler.

And I'll add (hi DAVE!!) that you should wear long pants under the 'stitch..

I thought I was getting cooked legs on my old K100RT (the hottest of the K bikes) until I once (and only once) wore shorts under the 'stitch on a hot day. OUCH!

Multiple layers help..

And a K75S is MUCH cooler than the K100's and I believe cooler than the K75RT (which blocks even more air to the rider..)

My cure for heat was getting THE K75S.. so far it's worked.

Dave....consider purchasing the rubber tank pads used on the K1100LT. My 1996 K1100LT is hot in the summer compared to my R1100RT, however the tank pad do a great job keeping the heat from transfering to your legs.

Back