• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tall Sizes in Mens Riding Jackets

DRRAOULDUKE

My riding gear is getting long in the tooth. I am a 54 tall in a jacket, 37/38 in a sleeve. Anybody recommend any vendors who specialize in quality tall riding gear?

Thanks in advance.

Aerostich can custom fit to your size, and they hold up. I got my 2 piece Roadcrafter, also a tall, in 2006. I also have a Tall in a mesh jacket and pants by Tourmaster called the Sonora Air. Not the same quality as the 'stich (also not the same price range), but SO MUCH cooler for summers down here in the South. It also came with an insulating layer and a wind/water resistant liner so it can be tailored to the current conditions.

OLYMPIA offers one of the widest sizing options on the market for men's motorcycle jackets:

SM 34-36 63"-69" 120-150
MD 38-40 63"-70" 150-170
LG 42-44 66"-73" 170-190
XL 46-48 68"-74" 190-210
2XL 50-52 69"-75" 210-230
3XL 54-56 71"-76" 220-250
4XL 58-60 72"-77" 240-285

Take a look at their product line. Have always been pleased with their apparel. :thumb

http://olympiamotosports.com/

There aren't many manufacturers offering true TALL sizes. BMW does offer several Tall jackets in sizes 106, 110, 114, for example. And I'm personally impressed with Firstgear's newly redesigned Kilimanjaro jacket which also comes in Tall sizes. Aerostich will tailor some of their regular-size jackets with longer sleeves but I've been disappointed with the "regular" body shapes. Olympia and Klim so far don't offer Tall jackets.

Not knowing your budget, I'll second the comment on Tourmaster for tall sizes at a reasonable price. While I hate the silly rubber tabs for the Velcro, the rest of the Sonora Air jacket is great for summer riding.

third for tourmaster tall sizes. i am a 42 and i have 37 sleeve also. the medium tall size fits me perfectly. btw - the intake air model jacket i have is awesome.

Motoport makes custom jackets with the best protection available. Check the article in the last ON. I personnaly use the Aerostich Roadcrafter that was cutomized for me. These two are expensive but very durable and they will do repairs on their products.

Firstgear Kathmandu

So I was very happy with the Firstgear Kathmandu tall jacket.

I ordered a Large tall and have very broad shoulders and chest for my weight.
I am around 185 with a 40 chest, 6'2" with a 32 inseam.

The length on the jacket is awesome as it comes to my butt for some coverage and definitely does NOT ride up on you. The sleeve length and chest was impressively perfect for me. I have a hard time finding shirts and such that fit the arms, chest, and core without alterations at a seamstress. The waist was a little big but that is only when wearing a t-shirt without the liner. The side velcro straps does a fine job on tightening up around the diaphragm area to make it a bit more snug.

Pro's:
- many ventilated zippers with two in the chest, one on each side mid-axillary, and two in the back that are quite large and so far have been "water-proof".
- two smaller chest pockets which could house things such as a cellphone or money clip. It is a PITA to fit a larger phone like a Note 4 (which I own). It has an over-layered flap to make that "water-proof" as well
- two side pockets which have overlapping flaps at the hip.
- velcro front flap which over-laps the zipper
- comes with a free camel-back as well! (awesome bonus as I didn't see that on the website)
- also have velcro straps for the upper arm and lower arm as well as cuffs to make it fit even better!
- hella warm in 40 degree weather with just a t-shirt and no liner for me and I'm typically cold
- Pads in the right places
- if you own the kathmandu pants as well like I do the jacket actually can zip into the back portion of the pants to make it more seamless like a one-piece suit as opposed to a two-piece. Unique idea but I doubt I will ever use it unless I'm doing some heavy dirt riding.

Con's:
- without the liner in the velcro or stitching of can rub on your skin if you are just wearing a t-shirt. Wear a slightly longer cut sleeve should remedy this issue.
- sometimes the velcro on the cuffs catches on the velcro on the front of the jacket by the main zipper (just being nit-picky)
- if it was any cheaper I would think its quality was complete crap....wait that's a pro not a con ^.^

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/firstgear-kathmandu-jacket

For just shy under $350, this jacket is COMPLETELY worth it to me. I was previously going to buy BMW gear since it just looks SO good the reviews have been great but Revzilla had the Kathmandu stuff for sale and not only did it look great but also figured, "What the hell, if I don't like it I can send it back". I have had not second thoughts sending it back and in the last 3 weeks I have had it I have ridden in 30-85 degree weather with high-winds and rain to beating sun...it has been the best jacket I have ever owned by far!

Aerostich Sizing Tool

You might take a look at the Aerostich sizing chart as noted above (http://www.aerostich.com/media/pdf/2014_catalog_Sizing_Chart.pdf) to help you understand how they'd deal with getting you the right size jacket/pants etc.

They do a lot of custom work and would work hard to fit just about anyone. As an example, I wear an Aerostich Darien Jacket, Size L, with custom length sleeves (4 inches added). I'm 6'4" tall, 45" chest, 46XL suit coat, 225#. The Darien is a little tight with a Gerbings heated liner probably because I've added a Bohn back protector.

Back