• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Utah Hwy 261 - Moki Dugway

wyman.winn

i should be out riding!
i will be taking the very long way from Solvang, CA to Cedar City, UT for the MOA Getaway in September and will be taking (i hope) UT Hwy 261 - Moki Dugway from Mexican Hat. i will be riding my 2013 RT and would like any experiences with this road that y'all may have...

thanks in advance,

wyman

It's fun.
Also, from there take the Burr Trail north to Boulder then over to Cedar.
dc

Let me think here, you may need to take the boat across Lake Powell from Halls Crossing to do that. A nice boat ride, if it's running.

I have been up the Moki Dugway a couple of times on my RT and it is fun for sure. One of the times was about an hour after the climb was freshly graded and there was a fair amount of loose gravel which made it interesting.

will be taking (i hope) UT Hwy 261 - Moki Dugway from Mexican Hat. i will be riding my 2013 RT and would like any experiences with this road that y'all may have...

It's not a difficult ride on a street bike if you take it easy. My wife and I did it a long time ago without any problems. Back then there was a lot of washboard, so we just took it slow.
S_E_Utah.JPG

Test.

i will be taking the very long way from solvang, ca to cedar city, ut for the moa getaway in september and will be taking (i hope) ut hwy 261 - moki dugway from mexican hat. I will be riding my 2013 rt and would like any experiences with this road that y'all may have...

Thanks in advance,

wyman

test.

Burr Trail is no road to ride if it gets wet or there are thunderstorms. The mud is sticky and slick as heck. It just cakes on and on until your vehicle becomes immobile. I've been on Burr Trail in my 4x4 vehicle, scouting it out for a GS ride. Had to turn around because of mud and creeks that were swollen with rain. I own a '06 RT and would not take it on that road, but would take my F800GS. Again, only if dry. However... the road from Estacade to Capitol Reef National Park boundary is fine (even when wet) and would ride my RT. Just know though your RT will never be clean again.

i will be taking the very long way from Solvang, CA to Cedar City, UT for the MOA Getaway in September and will be taking (i hope) UT Hwy 261 - Moki Dugway from Mexican Hat. i will be riding my 2013 RT and would like any experiences with this road that y'all may have...

thanks in advance,

wyman

Be sure you stop at the turn out at the top of the dirt portion to enjoy the view. We try to take this road any time we are near SE Utah (my avatar shows me at the bottom). With the paved corners, you only have to deal with some washboard, but with a 15 mph speed limit - not a problem!

Moki.jpg

If you have the time, you may consider going to the ferry crossing at Bullfrog. We've not done it, but want to.

thanks in advance,

wyman

I just traveled the Moki Dugway on four wheels two weeks ago. Great surface, no washboard. I have a friend who has done it many times on an RT with street tires. Take it slow and enjoy the views. I have NO idea how it is in the wet.

Since you are on an RT, take the road (SR316) out to Goosenecks State Park and overlook the goosenecks of the San Juan River. It's close to US 163 after you come down the Moki Dugway or about 5 miles before it if you're going up. I can't recommend the road out to Muley Point on an RT but it's been smooth as asphalt at times in the past; not so much at other times. It's at the top of the Moki Dugway. The views of the goosenecks below and Monument Valley in the distance are fantastic.

SR95 from Hanksville to Blanding is scenery overload. SR261 is about 20 miles out of Blanding. Take in as much as you can. You won't believe how little water is left in Lake Powell when you get to Hites Crossing on SR95.

Hoping to do this route next year prior to the Utah rally. Would like to hear your trip report once you finish up.

Back