Thread: Are OEM ESA shocks rebuildable? If not, how many 1000's of $ is this gonna cost?

Are OEM ESA shocks rebuildable? If not, how many 1000's of $ is this gonna cost?

2011 R1200RT. 60k miles. This afternoon I moved it out of the garage for an afternoon spin and noticed some oil just forward of the rear wheel. At the time I thought I had parked my R100RT in the same spot because it has had some very minor leaks here and there...I thought nothing of it. About 30 minutes into the ride I stop for gas and noticed smoke. Oil was dripping on the hot exhaust collector. I turned around and came home. Got out the flashlight and poked around. The oil appears to be emanating from the shock seal....crap!

1st question: A quick Google check reveals all sorts of conflicting info about rebuilding this shock. Can it be rebuilt? Who, where, (how much)?

2nd question: Is there a better aftermarket solution than stock?

3rd question: Will an aftermarket shock necessarily eliminate my ESA?

A few threads: not all RT, but some info to start with.
    1- yes
    2-yes
    3-no, at least two aftermarkets install your ESA motors to their shocks

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....ghlight=shocks

Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

ESA rebuild

I've heard of a firm in the UK who rebuilds, but I took mine off and sent them to the Beemer Shop and had the motor and other electrics moved to Wilbers shocks for about $1200. They had them for a day and shipped them back.

Klaus from EPM performance can rebuild the rear for sure. The fronts I don't think so. There are several aftermarket options that retain ESA capabilities, not as expensive as you may think and the difference in ride quality from your worn out shocks will be like getting a new bike.

Sent from my KFSAWA using Tapatalk

Marvelous technology. Just spend $$$$$ and quit complaining. What you sow so you reap!! Or something simpler. Your choice.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

When my rear ESA went south, I was able to source a used one for a lot cheaper than a new one.
    I installed it myself and everything is fine now.

If I hadn't found this used one I would have replaced it with the Wilbur WESA

YMMV
    Daniel
    If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
    R1200RT 2007 - IBA # 56396

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Marvelous technology. Just spend $$$$$ and quit complaining. What you sow so you reap!! Or something simpler. Your choice.
    Or, you can buy non-esa and then buy aftermarket esa from a higher quality vendor,if you really want it.............
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

I have found a couple used ones in the $300 range. Quite frankly I don't need a $1600 aftermarket shock. I am perfectly happy with the stock suspension. I certainly cannot be the only one to feel this way. If I had $1600 extra in my budget I would spend it on gas, motel rooms and longer vacations on my perfect handling RT.

Klaus, from EPM performance, rebuilt my ESA shocks both front and rear about three months ago and they work as good as new. Klaus is very knowledgeable and does excellent work. Fortunately for me he's only about 25 miles away so I dealt with him in person. My recommendation is to follow his advise. I had my own ideas before going to see Klaus, after evaluating my size, my ability to "flat foot" the bike, the load I carry, all the spring and after market shocks available and, very important, cost involved I took his recommendation and keep my OEM springs and Klaus rebuilt the shocks. I'm glad I did, the shocks, springs, and ESA system work like new, perfect!
    Last edited by aniello; 02-07-2016 at 11:37 AM.

A lot of folks that say they were perfectly happy with their stock suspension are still amazed and happy with what an aftermarket suspension can do.

I have always been extremely happy with the expertise and service provided by Ted Porter at Beemershop. It sounds like Klaus is highly regarded for ESA. I would talk with someone prior to spending the time to put on a used $300 shock.

Cogent Dynamics in Fletcher NC rebuilds all shocks

Had my 2010 ESA rear shock blow out all its damping and they rebuilt it. http://www.motocd.com/ These guys ride and have an international good reputation. Highly recommended.

Phone +1 828 628 9025 Email raceparts@motocd.com Address 33 Meadow Brook Dr. Fletcher, NC 28732
    Motorcycle Adventure Addict, Former Action Guy, US Marine, Motor Officer, Firefighter, Paramedic. Motorcycled to the Arctic Ocean North of Prudhoe Bay. Stood on the Arctic ice, said, "Been there, done that." Turned around and drove straight to Key West, Southernmost Point in the US.