Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Batteries from Amazon (2009 R1200R)

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar

Batteries from Amazon (2009 R1200R)

4 and a half years ago when the dealer replaced my stock battery under warranty, I decided to keep a spare handy and bought one of these Yuasa's from Amazon. It ships dry and you add the acid when you need it. Well last month, I felt it was time so I filled it up, charged it, and put it in. Worked like charm, and they are only $70 from Amazon (vs $160? at the dealer). I will be ordering a new spare soon.

http://amzn.com/B000WJX4BQ

Granted it takes a day to prep, but it is nice having it handy if you need it.
    1988 K75 Low Seat
    2009 R1200R Roadster

I ordered one thru Amazon and it failed in one month

Quote Originally Posted by tinytrains View Post
    4 and a half years ago when the dealer replaced my stock battery under warranty, I decided to keep a spare handy and bought one of these Yuasa's from Amazon. It ships dry and you add the acid when you need it. Well last month, I felt it was time so I filled it up, charged it, and put it in. Worked like charm, and they are only $70 from Amazon (vs $160? at the dealer). I will be ordering a new spare soon.

http://amzn.com/B000WJX4BQ

Granted it takes a day to prep, but it is nice having it handy if you need it.
    I did the same almost 4 years ago. The Yuasa failed in one month - Amazon refunded my money. I ended up installing a Braille battery which I have used for more than 3 1/2 years with no problems. Personally I would never use a Yuasa again.....

A few years ago I ordered a new battery for a '10 RT. I bought a BMW branded battery from Amazon. It arrived and actually was shipped from Bob's BMW. It was way less expensive than my local dealer. Other than emergemcies I'd do it again.

Thanks for the pointer, TT.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dyg View Post
    I did the same almost 4 years ago. The Yuasa failed in one month - Amazon refunded my money. I ended up installing a Braille battery which I have used for more than 3 1/2 years with no problems. Personally I would never use a Yuasa again.....
    That is odd. I have used Yuasa batteries for 30 years and have always been happy with them. I did by a Cycle Gear battery once for my K75, that lasted 7 months so stay away from those.
    1988 K75 Low Seat
    2009 R1200R Roadster

Yuasa sells millions of batteries. Like anything else every now and then one of them is defective or for some reason something goes wrong. That does not pursuade me to swear off them entirely.

The engine in my F650 seized up for no apparent reason after traveling about 300 feet at little more than idle speed. That doesn't mean I'm selling all the rest of the fleet and never having a darned old junky BMW again ever. Just my viewpoint.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

So all this brings up a question in my head. Which battery should I buy for my 2012 ?

I'm thinking of replacing mine in the spring.

Marty

Here we go again. I, and many others, recommend Odyssey batteries. There are some other threads on this topic also.
    Walter

All government, of course, is against liberty.
    H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by tinytrains View Post
    That is odd. I have used Yuasa batteries for 30 years and have always been happy with them. I did by a Cycle Gear battery once for my K75, that lasted 7 months so stay away from those.
    Yuasa seems to be the current OEM supplied battery. I made one of my buds buy me a cup of coffee on that recently with his Wethead. We looked at the pretty Yuasa sticker on the battery.

With all the name changes and ownership mergers and what not. Exide became Yuasa which used to be OEM.

We have too many things with batteries and I stick with maintenance free where possible. AGM seems to be the rule for us.
    A few models make it a bear to check or maintain a flooded lead acid battery on, some are tolerable.
    With all the recent Lithium Ion fires on those hoverboards...I am still not going to put one under my tank or saddle regardless of losing 1/2 lb of dead weight and being the next big thing. I'll lose 1/2 pound if that's a goal I think I need to meet. I know some folks will testify how great they are...still not happening

Have installed several orange bricks and quit worrying as well.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by AHD43 View Post
    So all this brings up a question in my head. Which battery should I buy for my 2012 ?

I'm thinking of replacing mine in the spring.

Marty
    One that fits. And avoid Chinese made batteries, apparently refining recycled lead isn't something they do particularly well.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    The best batteries are CAT batteries- made by Decca to CAT specs. 8d is 135lbs but will start all the bikes in the dealership at once
    As mentioned, it's nice to have a track record with maintenance items. Yuasa has always been top of the line in motorcycle batteries. Like everything, sometimes you get a bad one- there are a number of reasons. Someone could cave dropped it- who knows. A good way to compare lead-acid batteries is by weight.
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

My pick is Odyssey.

Had a '02 R1150GS that in '08 I had replaced too many batteries (remember BMW GEL cells?) . Changed to an Odyssey. Sold the GS to a friend of mine in '10 - the same battery is still going! Not much of a surprise my '10 R12GS has a new Odyssey.
    I've had my share of Yuasa batteries that did & didn't live up to expectations - the interesting thing is the number of batteries that come out of or through one location in Eastern PA with multiple names......

From the wiki on Yuasa:
    "Yuasa formed a joint-venture company with General Battery Corporation in 1976. Yuasa manufactured its first battery in 1979 in the United States, producing standard conventional and Yumicron 12 volt batteries. Yuasa developed a maintenance free and gas recombination battery for powersports vehicles in the early 1980s, and the first AGM battery, intended for ATV applications. Yuasa was sold by General Battery Corporation to Exide in 1987 to form Yuasa/Exide Battery Corporation.
    Yuasa/Exide then purchased Exide's Industrial Division to become Yuasa Inc. in 1991.
    After selling off its industrial division to EnerSys in 2000 [read Odyssey! here], Yuasa Inc. changed its name to Yuasa Battery Inc. In 2004, Yuasa Japan merged with Japan Storage Battery to form GS Yuasa Corporation. Now the top power sports battery producer, Yuasa provides nearly 90% of the batteries used in power sport vehicles in North America."

The other side of the coin is not all Yuasa batteries are made in the US or Japan. Just saying.

UB 12220 batteries are agm, 22 ah and available all over the internet for about $40.00.

Many different companies make them.
    '08 BMW R1200RT
    '75 Red R75/6 (In bits and pieces for the moment.)
    '08 Suzuki DL650 "Screaming Yellow Zonker"
    Looking for Ed Sanders' Truck Stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff488 View Post
    UB 12220 batteries are agm, 22 ah and available all over the internet for about $40.00.

Many different companies make them.
    This. These are really wheel chair batteries and I have been using them for the past seven years.
    SABMWRA MOA #62
    2005 BMW R1200RT
    1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo

Not just wheel chairs.
    Jump start packs among many other applications.
    '08 BMW R1200RT
    '75 Red R75/6 (In bits and pieces for the moment.)
    '08 Suzuki DL650 "Screaming Yellow Zonker"
    Looking for Ed Sanders' Truck Stop.