Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 50 worst bottlenecks, traffic jams, hoo-do, voo-do more money will fix it parking lot

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar

Angry 50 worst bottlenecks, traffic jams, hoo-do, voo-do more money will fix it parking lot

While wachin' a little CBS News, they mentioned the 50 worst traffic spots-
    http://www.highways.org/2015/11/unclogging-study2015/
    Of course, I had to click through a traffic jam of social media clicks to fine it- it's all about the clicks doncha know.
    https://www.facebook.com/CBSEveningNews/

Anyway, as always, they need more money to make it mo-betterer
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Haven't looked at the link yet, but I'm confident that none are within 300-350 miles of our place. Maybe 600 if Spokane isn't on the list.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

The author said Austin at #10 was one of the surprises.

Upper/lower deck of I-35 thru downtown...yeah, been a place to avoid for a long time. Drove a lot of city vehicles and down that stretch but avoided on bikes always as it is big rig heavy and narrow.

Go Interstate Highway system as most on the list seem to have an I in the name
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

To get to my sister-in-law's house in Chicago we go thru #1.

Traffic is one of the things I dislike the most. It can ruin what would otherwise be a good quality of life. When I rode to Vintage Days in Birmingham last month I passed thru KC, St. Louis and Nashville within 24 hours; two of them in rush hour traffic. I cannot understand how people who go through that twice a day every work day can put up with it.
    Kevin Huddy

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I'm kinda rusty on the rest of the country. Boston.....for a city that thinks a lot of itself, it only takes a flat tire to paralyze it. OK, sometimes it's a truck too tall for it's GPS overpass
    It's really hard to get around. When they were thinking of holding the Olympics here I was thinking
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I hate the Chicago area, even when traffic is moving along okay. It just feels too kamikaze to me.

Harry

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    I cannot understand how people who go through that twice a day every work day can put up with it.
    In today's work world, you either live in an area with multiple employers to have some financial security or you take a risk on living in a less populated place with few employers. We tell ourselves that young people don't have any loyalty, but then we reward management for quickly right-sizing at any change in the stock market.

Yep, the young folks have to live in that world.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

After living in Houston and commuting I-45 in my youth, I found alternates to the insanity of the clogged Interstate, which I crossed under with a smile everyday...and made time compared to the herd creeping along.

CA is just insane near the big cities and I plan trips thru them as off hours or direction as possible.The alternates are there, but not much better during the rush hours.

Are there no alternatives in the NE
    Steve Henson
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

I live in a beach tourist town, surface streets and highway 1 can be grid lock often during our summer season. During my works days I took a route 4 times longer to work than the highway route. How sad for me on my motorcycle, it was super twisty two lane Redwood tree lined delight that I looked forward to commuting on twice a day by motorcycle or bicycle.. I miss my commute.

I get around town twice as fast as any car on one of my bicycles. I even cart around my two grandkids on my cargo bike with the 750w mid drive motor I put on it. I take it easy with them on it as I deliver them to and from school and to their after school sports and classes for that big orange beast will hit almost 30 mph on the flats !

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Are there no alternatives in the NE
    While we have high population densities in the cities, a 1-hr drive away (50~60 miles) from the city center usually puts you in the middle of nowhere. By the time you're in the middle of upstate NY or PA, it's pretty much Kansas. Happily, 1-hr outside of NYC, means you've escaped the whole state of NJ.

The issue is one of Suburban sprawl which has engulfed and overwhelmed the beltways, as demonstrated by Atlanta, Wash. DC (I-495), Philly & NYC (I-287).
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Yes there are numerous good places to ride back east. The issue, in my opinion is that the islands of riding joy are all too often separated by areas of urban sprawl and traffic congestion. In this part of country one could easily ride 800-900 miles and not encounter anything other than small towns and sparse traffic.

I'm not an "East" hater. Grew-up largely on the VA coast and our family roots are from PA and NJ. We've also lived in AL and GA. Much I liked about living there in the past, but now I like the mountain west much more.
    Kevin Huddy

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Yes there are numerous good places to ride back east. The issue, in my opinion is that the islands of riding joy are all too often separated by areas of urban sprawl and traffic congestion. In this part of country one could easily ride 800-900 miles and not encounter anything other than small towns and sparse traffic.

I'm not an "East" hater. Grew-up largely on the VA coast and our family roots are from PA and NJ. We've also lived in AL and GA. Much I liked about living there in the past, but now I like the mountain west much more.
    Eastern PA south of I-80 and East of I-81 is the only growing part of PA. The rest of the state is forecast to have declining population for 2010 and beyond. Jersey is still growing with the commuters to NYC.

The Mountain states are great, if you have a job.

I guess my comments were more wondering if you HAVE to run the Interstate System in the majority of bottlenecks listed...knowing that tunnel thing issue is hard to avoid it seems there should be options for the drone of the Interstate. Do you have to run I-95 to get everywhere in the NE?

We have been in most of the states, but split around the big cities unless a have to destination presents itself. Chuckling about the run from CA2 running the twisties down into Redondo Beach around sunset earlier this year. Trying that maps only in traffic would be a navigators meltdown...thank you you sweet Garmin Prompt as we changed freeway numbers at least 6 times in fairly fast pace as everyone else was going the other way sitting still. Take the 2, The 10, The 95, , 105, The 91, the The 405 ....or just get on Sepulveda
    Went thru downtown Chicago driving a rental years ago...reminded me of Houston ...old Interstate elevateds and too many folks.

Wherever they are located, they are torn up and behind the upgrade curve just a tad.
    Steve Henson

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    I guess my comments were more wondering if you HAVE to run the Interstate System in the majority of bottlenecks listed...knowing that tunnel thing issue is hard to avoid it seems there should be options for the drone of the Interstate. Do you have to run I-95 to get everywhere in the NE?
    In SE New York, Eastern Conn. and Mass, the towns run into each other and it's a slow crawl when on the two lane roads.
    If you stay clear of this area it's great riding with little traffic.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    The Mountain states are great, if you have a job.
    Or do not need one.
    Kevin Huddy