• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2017 BMW MOA National location?

2017 BMW MOA Rally

SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH JULY 13-15 2017

I just noticed in the July ON (page 121) next year's location.

I wonder about the heat there in mid-July and I'm guessing that it may be called the "Vented Riding Suit Rally". Still, it is an MOA Rally so a good time should be had by all.

Ride Well

Last edited:
camping at SLC

Salt Lake will be my first MOA rally. From what I've been told many riders usually camp at the MOA rallys. I noticed that the fairgrounds appear to be paved. Are there grassy areas nearby in which to place a tent?

Tino

SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH JULY 13-15 2017

I just noticed in the July ON (page 121) next year's location.

I wonder about the heat there in mid-July and I'm guessing that it may be called the "Vented Riding Suit Rally". Still, it is an MOA Rally so a good time should be had by all.

Ride Well

"But it's a dry heat". 😊

Seriously, so long as you hydrate and keep bare skin covered you'll be fine. One of the great things about SLC is that if the heat in the city begins to bother, in just a few minutes you can be up in the Wasatch mountains enjoying the cooler temps-and the scenery and twisties. And if that's not cool enough, ride the summer ski lifts up the mountain for a lunch and cold beverage. :thumb

Best,
DG

Utah state Fairpark a little west of the LDS temple on N. Temple drive, and a little east of the airport.
155 1000 W
Salt Lake City, UT 84116

Hotel/Motel Deals?

Greg,

Are there any "official" Hotel/Motel deals to be had for the Rally at this point?

Thanks - Garrett

Welcome to the forum! I don't remember any specific deals or blocks of rooms set aside for the MOA at motels. I think you just need to find motels in the vicinity of the rally site and make some calls. Hopefully you can find something that fits your budget and within a reasonable range of the site.

Thanks for the replies and welcome. Motel rates don't look too bad and it appears there are some options close to the rally site.

Garrett

Welcome Garrett:wave

Book early and sometimes do not mention the event will often get you the better rate.
Free market supply and demand sometimes causes operators to make that special rate special indeed when there is an event they know will fill rooms.

Salt Lake Hotel map and transportation

The other respondents are correct that the are no negotiated discounts with hotels in the area. Those things require making a commitment to fill some number of rooms at the discounted price, and with an event like the International Rally, that's not feasible. So, shop early and check prices. I've attached a map of many hotels which was provided by Visit Salt Lake, the Salt Lake City visitors bureau (http://www.visitsaltlake.com/).

When booking a room, don't forget that there is a wonderful light rail system which runs throughout most of downtown Salt Lake City and has a terminal just outside the rally site. You might find it handy to use that system for transportation to/from your hotel, to get to a brew pub downtown, etc. https://www.rideuta.com/Rider-Tools/Schedules-and-Maps

The other respondents are correct that the are no negotiated discounts with hotels in the area. Those things require making a commitment to fill some number of rooms at the discounted price, and with an event like the International Rally, that's not feasible. So, shop early and check prices. I've attached a map of many hotels which was provided by Visit Salt Lake, the Salt Lake City visitors bureau (http://www.visitsaltlake.com/).

When booking a room, don't forget that there is a wonderful light rail system which runs throughout most of downtown Salt Lake City and has a terminal just outside the rally site. You might find it handy to use that system for transportation to/from your hotel, to get to a brew pub downtown, etc. https://www.rideuta.com/Rider-Tools/Schedules-and-Maps

Well, the hotel map is too big to upload, but if you PM me with your personal email address I'll email you a copy. Thanks.

Greg -

The main website page for the '17 rally says

More information and FAQs about the 2017 Salt Lake Rally will be published starting later this fall...

Getting pretty near "this fall" I would think. :stick When will this map and other info about the rally being going up? A good place to start placing this info. :thumb

Greg -

The main website page for the '17 rally says

Getting pretty near "this fall" I would think. :stick When will this map and other info about the rally being going up? A good place to start placing this info. :thumb

Hey now! It was in the 80's on Friday in my part of Idaho, so I'm sayin' that is still summer! :) The web site will get more attention after the Board meeting there next weekend. Thanks for askin'!

Last edited:
Well, the hotel map is too big to upload, but if you PM me with your personal email address I'll email you a copy. Thanks.

Thanks Greg, but no need to email I got to the map off their site.

Thanks for the info about the transit option too.

Garrett

Those "two offerings" just mentioned are why we sleep in nice tents with clean comfortable bedding that's our own. The reviews are simply awful for those properties.

I'm still thunderstruck anybody thought SLC in July was a good idea for camping. The Board really needs to take a US Geography 101 class. Having grown up in Phoenix, all I can say is in the Southwest and intermontane West, elevation is your friend and the higher the better.

When I landed in SLC last month I checked my fore flight app... Airfield elevation was greater than 4000'. Surrounded of course by snow capped mountains. If a rally attendie seriously needed to cool off, a 30 minute ride to the top of those mountains, (checking my fore flight app on take off, the peaks looked about 10,000' MSL) would provide some natural air conditioning.

Back