Thread: Lubing Throttle Gears K1100LT

Lubing Throttle Gears K1100LT

Ok, I give up. How do I get to the throttle gears for lube maintenance on a K1100LT? Clymer's shows a picture of an older, maybe K100, with the obvious bolt holding a cover on top of the cable area. That's how my R100GS works, but not this one. I have removed a few screws and bolts in the cable and switch housing area, but nothing is moving. This should be simple, and probably is. Anybody know what I'm missing?

I looked at the parts fiche. There are no gears. The cable wraps around the end of the twistgrip like in a little pulley.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I don't have my K1100 any more but I looked at my K75 and there is a large Phillips head capscrew right on top next to the brake reservoir. Removing this screw allows the top plate to be removed. The gears then are clearly visible. There are marks for the proper gear alignment. Raise the gear connected to the cable slightly and you can rotate the twistgrip to lubricate all the gear teeth. Unless the K1100 is different in which case, never mind.
    Right. That's how the K75, and I think the K100 is set up. Not the K1100. That was too simple😀. There are a few different screws and bolts in the the lever/cable/brake housing, but none of the ones I removed seemed to let anything loose. I'll have to go out again in a bit and see if I can get some better light on it and figure it out. I was expecting the setup that you describe, so only allowed a few minutes for a simple job.

I like this bike a lot when I'm riding it, but not as much when working on it. A K100 might have been a better choice. Anyway, thank you.

Ok, never mind. There are two Philips head screws in front of the area. One hold a plastic cover over the brake cable/lever junction and master cylinder. The other, onthe right front, holds a small plastic cover over the throttle cable end. Once you remove that cover, you see the throttle cable barrel in a plastic holder that is directly attached to the throttle. There is no chain, or gear, in there, just a plastic arm that pulls the cable when you turn the throttle. I lubed the cable end, although I doubt it needed it as it pulls very straight, but I was there so... Anyway, this explains the lack of a top cover. Since I was all ready to lube throttle gears, I turned around and did the GS just for good measure.

Quote Originally Posted by jnclem View Post
    Ok, never mind. There are two Philips head screws in front of the area. One hold a plastic cover over the brake cable/lever junction and master cylinder. The other, onthe right front, holds a small plastic cover over the throttle cable end. Once you remove that cover, you see the throttle cable barrel in a plastic holder that is directly attached to the throttle. There is no chain, or gear, in there, just a plastic arm that pulls the cable when you turn the throttle. I lubed the cable end, although I doubt it needed it as it pulls very straight, but I was there so... Anyway, this explains the lack of a top cover. Since I was all ready to lube throttle gears, I turned around and did the GS just for good measure.
    Well, when I went out to look at my K75 I decided to lube the gears while I was there looking.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/