• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ELF pegs for R bikes?

HOLLOMON

My knee tends to cramp up when I'm in the saddle for more than an hour or so at a time. I've looked into getting those aftermarket "ELF" (Extend Legs Forward) pegs that Bob's and a few others offer. Anyone have any experience with these? Or any other solutions?

thanks,

Carl
'97 R850R

An expensive but very fun remedy would be to bet a GS, they have a much more open riding position especially if you are taller. I personally love my 850R, but it helps to have a 30 inch inseam

ASC cycles (link is on the advertiser's page) have ones that do not fold back for about half the price.

I just put the ELF on my RT and I loove them.

Do you ever have any trouble cornering? It seems like sticking something out permanently on a boxer would really reduce your cornering clearance. That's why I like the idea of retractable ones. Out on the highway, in on the Blue Ridge Parkway, a road I'm fortunate enough to find 15 minutes from my house. :clap

Hollomon,
While ridng this weekend, I tried an experiment. Here in Ohio the humidity often runs very close to to the temperature,and the knee pads in my riding pants make my knees sweat bad, so I tried putting my feet up on the cylinder heads, ( resting my heels on them) I found that the temperature wasnt too hot,as long as I was moving along at a good pace, and the change in position allowed the pads to move away from my knees, and let some air circulate under them. You may want to try this in lieu of spending the cash for the pegs. I did it about 5 minutes every hour, and it also tricked the harley guys into waving on their way to the bar :p

<innocent newbie voice> You mean Harley guys don't wave to you all the time? I'm sure they don't mean nuttin' by it!

Where do you live in Ohio? I grew up in Lexington, just south of Mansfield.

Carl
'97 R850R

I live just east of Cincinnati, in Madiera Oh. I plan on a trip to Lexington this weekend, the AMA superbikes are there this weekend. I love to watch those guys ride, they are awesome.

Harley folks not waving

The other day Mike Rossman, my helpful and knowledgeable BMW salesperson in Grand Rapids, took the time to explain to me why the Harley folks don't wave alla time.

"Cliff," he said (for that is my name). "They are afraid to take one of their hands off the bars because the bikes vibrate so bad."

Made perfect sense to me.

Back