• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200RT 2015 - Engine spoiler/shroud installation

SingleTrackPete

SingleTrackPete
Anyone having problems with plastic engine shroud on the side of the bike where oil is added? It's the one that needs to be removed to add oil. There are 2 screws and one plastic pin that fits into a rubber grommet. The pin keeps popping out of the grommet and the plastic shield flaps. Why didn't BMW use three screws like the opposite shroud??

I used some silicon on the rubber to help slide the pin in..but it sucks as a design. Have had my bike 1 week...that is all I removed and it was a pain.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. Maybe if enough people have this complaint, BMW may fix it going forward. I noticed Aerostich makes an off-set funnel that will eliminate the need for the shroud to be removed so I can work around this inconvenience.

I went to the local hardware, got a small rubber washer, put it on the top screw between the cover and the frame, this takes the tension off the grommet. Then use hairspray on the grommet, insert while the hairspray is wet. This is a simple cure, but it works, the grommet stays connected. When you remove the cover, the hairspray needs to be used again...

I've found something that seems to work for me. I push the grommet really good into the hole before I install the two screws/bolts. It stays put as long as you don't pull on it. I think they designed it that way so you could add oil without removing the whole thing. My two cents.

This is my fifth bmw in as many years, from a G650 to a K1600, all have been well engineered, and robust with the exception of the plastic parts on my 15 RT, they are downright crappy. Offset funnel was a good investment for filling oil, rather than removing panel that is easy to break. Even worse are the panels covering coolant and oil cooler, those plastic tabes break easy, my dealer is well aware of the quality of these parts as they are replacing many under warrenty

Back