• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Battery replacement

Battery

I don't know about the batteries you mentioned But! The new lightweight battery some of the dealers are selling is a POS, expensive and bad! It won't hold a charge. It goes dead very fast.
It's one of those cutesy things we see and are dumb enough to buy.

Found the battery in my 2000 1100R to be dead this morning. Since it's the original battery and it did not hold the charge from a 300 mile trip last weekend it looks like time for a new one.

I'm looking at the following brands:
Exide (the oem brand)
Yuasa
Westco
Odyssey

Does anyone have a stong opinion of any of these? I want to get a sealed battery to avoid having to add water in the future, and several of these brands offer sealed/AGM/GEL batteries.

Thanks for the help. :dunno

I don't know about the batteries you mentioned But! The new lightweight battery some of the dealers are selling is a POS, expensive and bad! It won't hold a charge. It goes dead very fast.
It's one of those cutesy things we see and are dumb enough to buy.

got some factual backup on that comment?
The only negatives I have heard on the new LiIon batts (Shorai, etc) are they're expensive, and can be slow cranking in real cold temps. Won't hold a charge and goes dead really fast sounds like a charging issue, not a battery problem.

got some factual backup on that comment?
The only negatives I have heard on the new LiIon batts (Shorai, etc) are they're expensive, and can be slow cranking in real cold temps. Won't hold a charge and goes dead really fast sounds like a charging issue, not a battery problem.

+1.

I've had a Shorai in one of my bikes for 3 years. This particular bike gets ridden about once every 3 weeks and is not on a charger. So far, so good.

trying to charge a 12V battery with a charger that only puts out 12 volts is like trying to inflate a tire that has 35psi showing with a compressor putting out only 34psi you'll never get there.

Shorai (LFX21L6-BS12) Battery question

I've volunteered to be the "guinea pig" for using a Shorai (LFX21L6-BS12). I've noticed better starting, and no more ABS Low Battery Faults - even after repeated start attempts. It is an exact depth match to the 51319 spec (for depth), but does need a bit of padding on the bottom and side of the battery box to fill out the space and secure itself (no, I do not have pictures - I forgot to take them after getting the thing installed).

Yes, I know about the 'cold start' issues, but it really doesn't get that cold down here in Central Texas. I'll try the recommended battery warm up procedure and starting on the coldest day we have this winter.

As always, YMMV... :dunno

This is a very old thread, but perhaps you can let us know how the Shorai battery worked out for you. I am again in need of a battery and this one is near the top. I hope I an not making a mistake. My odyssey has perished this spring.

Shorai Update Please

+1.

I've had a Shorai in one of my bikes for 3 years. This particular bike gets ridden about once every 3 weeks and is not on a charger. So far, so good.

It has been 7 years since you posted about this battery. Please let us know how it is holding up or when it died. I just ordered one from Amazon and hope it works out for me.

Shorai (LFX21L6-BS12) from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Shorai+(LFX21L6-BS12)&i=automotive&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

It was $172.53 so it was on the pricy side. I just hope it lasts as long as the odyssey or longer.

It has been 7 years since you posted about this battery. Please let us know how it is holding up or when it died. I just ordered one from Amazon and hope it works me.

Still going strong. As a matter of fact, GSAddict saw me out on the bike in which it is installed last week. I must admit, I'm kind of amazed at its longevity.

Ha, I feel better about this already!

One change to my original post....That bike gets ridden about once a week now. Through the winter months, just for the heck of it, I put it on a Battery Tender Jr. for about an hour every four weeks or so.

Back