• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Battery replacement

Thank you for the recommendation..

Using google to search for any of the 3 or 4 battery names and part numbers mentioned in this thread will help you find the best deal today. Add the word "price" to your searches.
Prices vary and lead has gone way up since this thread started years ago.

My personal choice for the oilhead is the Odyssey PC680. And I buy them here:

http://sepbatteries.com/pc680-odyssey-battery?gclid=CInczJWW16wCFdIAQAodtmYK7A

$95 and free ground shipping in the USA.

Now you just have to wait for someone to find it cheaper. :laugh

I ordered a PC680, today

My last one was $109 delivered. They must have found more lead in the mine. :laugh

Seriously though, they do go up and down in price. And prices really vary. This spring I've seen them range from $95 at SEP to $165 at a rally.

Buyer Beware, SEP took my money and lost the order!

Using google to search for any of the 3 or 4 battery names and part numbers mentioned in this thread will help you find the best deal today. Add the word "price" to your searches.
Prices vary and lead has gone way up since this thread started years ago.

My personal choice for the oilhead is the Odyssey PC680. And I buy them here:

http://sepbatteries.com/pc680-odyssey-battery?gclid=CInczJWW16wCFdIAQAodtmYK7A

$95 and free ground shipping in the USA.

Now you just have to wait for someone to find it cheaper. :laugh

I ordered one on Friday June 21, 2013 at about 4:30 PM.

The money was debited from my Paypal account but no email from SEP (Stored Energy Products). I tried calling but there is no human to speak with. You are told to email or chat. I did both on Friday June 21, and 22, and 24. I still have no answers. If you order, and there are no glitches it is a nice deal. My bike is grounded now, until someone takes care of this.

BatteryMart.com has good phone support and sells the same item for $122. Amazon is at $118.

I asked SEP to just refund my money since they can't find my order. They just keep saying someone will get back to me.

I AM NOT CERTAIN THE DISCOUNT IS WORTH THE AGGRAVATION!

Battery Seller Issues

Just a couple additional thoughts about the Odyssey PC680. I spoke to the folks at http://www.odysseybattery.com/ which is the manufacturer's website. They suggested the PC680 without the metal jacket. I was told the metal jacket or box was to keep the battery cooler but was unneeded on my R1100RS. They also said that with each battery they ship is an adapter created and included just for BMW motorcycles. It is an "L" shaped bracket, but is removed by the folks at Batterymart.com and sold separately for about $6 plus shipping.

I read several bad reviews at Amazon about buying this battery, and then waiting for a second order with the adaptor and shipping fees to install. I suspect the Amazon buyers buying from Amazon received the adaptors with their battery. Other vendors selling through Amazon, may have pulled the adaptor out to sell separately. As far as SEP goes I think the adapter is included or someone would have posted a warning by now.

I have bought twice now from SEP and had zero issues. They came with the copper 90 degree adaptors and in the original Odyssey box with instructions and what not.

I hope they find the order and straighten this out. First I've heard of any such issues so it may be an honest mistake.

It is an honest mistake AND INCOMPETENCE

I have bought twice now from SEP and had zero issues. They came with the copper 90 degree adaptors and in the original Odyssey box with instructions and what not.

I hope they find the order and straighten this out. First I've heard of any such issues so it may be an honest mistake.

First, thank you for letting us all know the adapters are included.

I am certain it is an honest mistake. It is, however, inexcusable that when I pointed out the problem no one was able to give me a responsive answer. I started by asking when I might expect delivery of this item. I included the complete payment information and all the info I had.

I have received zero emails back. Zip. Nada.

The phone number on the site was called and clearly indicated that all questions go through "chat" or email. In chat I learned that I had to submit email to get a response, probably because of the glitch. I asked the chat guy if he could process a refund and not send anything. The "chat" answer was always the same. "I will get someone to contact you ASAP." But they have never called or emailed. Batterymart told me I would receive the battery on June 22 or 24. Amazon was scheduling delivery for June 25. SEP has my money and is not shipping anything or refunding anything or even just communicating. This is by far the most frustrating experience I have ever had with an online purchase. I left the chat guy with these final words last night:

QUOTE:
Stored Energy Products, Inc.
Sir i will make sure you get you reply asap

aperris

Please tell me when that might be since I have already waited 3 full days

And my vehicle does not run without a battery.

Since I paid please ship the battery. It is not rocket science. I ordered. I paid. You ship.

End of QUOTE

If it were not an honest mistake, they would have been out of business a long time ago. This lack of communication is the most irritating mistake. Each chat session ended with that refrain:

Yea, right

Last edited:
First, thank you for letting us all know the adapters are included.

I am certain it is an honest mistake. It is, however, inexcusable that when I pointed out the problem no one was able to give me a responsive answer. I started by asking when I might expect delivery of this item. I included the complete payment information and all the info I had.

I have received zero emails back. Zip. Nada.

The phone number on the site was called and clearly indicated that all questions go through "chat" or email. In chat I learned that I had to submit email to get a response, probably because of the glitch. I asked the chat guy if he could process a refund and not send anything. The "chat" answer was always the same. "I will get someone to contact you ASAP." But they have never called or emailed. Batterymart told me I would receive the battery on June 22 or 24. Amazon was scheduling delivery for June 25. SEP has my money and is not shipping anything or refunding anything or even just communicating. This is by far the most frustrating experience I have ever had with an online purchase. I left the chat guy with these final words last night:

QUOTE:
Stored Energy Products, Inc.

aperris

Please tell me when that might be since I have already waited 3 full days

And my vehicle does not run without a battery.

Since I paid please ship the battery. It is not rocket science. I ordered. I paid. You ship.

End of QUOTE

If it were not an honest mistake, they would have been out of business a long time ago. This lack of communication is the most irritating mistake. Each chat session ended with that refrain:

Yea, right

3rd party chat support therefore they have no clue as to what's going on. Don't you just hate all these internet companies where you're not able to speak to a human being?

If you were willing to put a dollar value to your time and the effects of the hassle, you might decide buying locally, i.e. from your dealer is more economical. You'll get more back in appreciation from your dealer than some candy in the box.

For sealed AGM batteries - yes indeed.

The typical failure of AGM batteries is a mechanical failure - not a chemical failure. Usually they die when in interplate or intercell connector physically breaks. This happens because of vibration, jolts, jars, and bumps. It can happen early or it can happen late, but the more miles the more jolts.

I can attest to this. I had a Westco (Panasonic actually, back in 2005) battery in my 94 RS to replace the Mareg that lasted eight years. The Westco did fine, until one day it just suddenly, quit working entirely. Two days before it quit I had completed an 800 miles solo tour of upper Michigan (very remote roads). No indication of any issues. But two days later, nothing. Guess I was lucky it didn't happen while on my ride.

If only I knew

If you were willing to put a dollar value to your time and the effects of the hassle, you might decide buying locally, i.e. from your dealer is more economical. You'll get more back in appreciation from your dealer than some candy in the box.

You are quite right. I will not lose my money, but I have lost considerable time. Had I known in advance, I would have purchased it locally. This is the first time I have had a hassle like this. Now I have to write Paypal and reverse the payment. Still no response from the store. All emails are still unanswered. What a bummer.

BTW Batteryplus stores carry these for about $150.

I found SEP's Facebook page yesterday and tried to shame them into responding. There is no message for me there either.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stored-Energy-Products-Inc/346506782100169?hc_location=timeline

UPDATE: I opened a dispute with PAYPAL at noon, and the money was refunded at 3PM. What a relief!

Update Final (I hope):

I found a place selling for less than SEP but with $9.00 shipping it cost me a little more than SEP. I called them and asked about the "L" brackets. They immediately called Odyssey and Odyssey told them the L brackets are included. If you have an Amazon account you can pay with that or with any credit card. Final cost $102.73 shipped to my house direct from the manufacturer. So it cost me about 8 bucks to order from a vendor that provides phone support.

https://autoplicity.com/

30offshipping gets a 30% discount on shipping

Last edited:
You are quite right. I will not lose my money, but I have lost considerable time. Had I known in advance, I would have purchased it locally. This is the first time I have had a hassle like this. Now I have to write Paypal and reverse the payment. Still no response from the store. All emails are still unanswered. What a bummer.

BTW Batteryplus stores carry these for about $150.

Let's face it. Most all the time you will never "know in advance". The real question is why do we as consumers put up with companies that don't allow telephone calls? Do people really call that customer service? So, how many people are OK when dealing with a company who won't allow you to speak with them?

Lesson Learned

Apparently, in order to save a few bucks, more than a few.

I won't get caught again. I will always call and unfamiliar vendor. But how do you ever know? Several people may have ordered from a site without phone support and had great results. I won't ever make that mistake. SEP has an 800 number listed under "contact". It is only if you call the number that you find out they offer no support by phone.

As for saving a few bucks, it is more than a few. The local BMW dealer wanted $193 for the same battery PLUS tax. That is significant.

I won't get caught again. I will always call and unfamiliar vendor. But how do you ever know? Several people may have ordered from a site without phone support and had great results. I won't ever make that mistake. SEP has an 800 number listed under "contact". It is only if you call the number that you find out they offer no support by phone.

As for saving a few bucks, it is more than a few. The local BMW dealer wanted $193 for the same battery PLUS tax. That is significant.

I'm sure you realize that my comment wasn't directed solely at you. We all love to save a few bucks and yes, the BMW part costs a bunch more. I've always made an effort to support local suppliers for the simple reason that they support me. Hope this all works out for you.

Last edited:
No Offense Taken and BMW Charger Information

I'm sure you realize that my comment wasn't directed solely at you. We all love to save a few bucks and yes, the BMW part costs a bunch more. I've always made an effort to support local suppliers for the simple reason that they support me. Hope this all works out for you.

While I was looking for a new battery I ran into some information on BMW chargers.

http://www.largiader.com/articles/charging.html

I own the BMW Model 72 60 7 679 040 charger. I was trying to find out if it puts out 13.3 volts which the Odyssey PC680 requires for winter layovers. The charger itself says output is 12 volts. I was hoping someone knows or can direct me to the specifications for the unit. If not, I will invest in a volt meter.

Thank you in advance!

None of the typical standard chargers put out a voltage high enough for the Odyssey. They won't "ruin" the batteries but if you want to get the max life and potential out of an Odyssey battery it's best to get a charger specifically designed for them. They use a very high charge current initially and go into maintenance mode at a higher voltage. All the specs are on the Odyssey site.

I have an Odyssey purpose built charger and what I find is that the bike's charging system does not get the voltage up high enough so every now and again I plug the charger in even though it does not really need it and it charges for 10 to 20 minutes and then goes into maintain mode. Most BMW bikes charge at 13.9 - 14.0 volts and settle down to 12.6 volts overnight if the battery is healthy and holding a good charge. You can modify an oilhead alternator to charge higher and you can put an adjustable regulator in an airhead to charge higher as well.

You will get a ton of discussion and opinions on this by searching here and many feel running .4 or .5 volts higher that BMW designed will destroy your bulbs, your wiring and maybe the whole universe. Too many electrons pushed through too little copper is my favourite "theory" I've read so far. :whistle

My opinion? Meh!

Last edited:
You will get a ton of discussion and opinions on this by searching here and many feel running .4 or .5 volts higher that BMW designed will destroy your bulbs, your wiring and maybe the whole universe. Too many electrons pushed through too little copper is my favourite "theory" I've read so far. :whistle

My opinion? Meh!

Thanks for the great information. I probably will buy a new charger!

I bought from SEP. Zero communication from them. Got my battery (with Adapters) In 10 working days.
But, ZERO communications from SEP. (except when the battery shipped. I did get a notice).

Another suggestion would be to contact 'ODYSSEY' direct. THEY answere their phones. They are helpfull!

Don't get me wrong. I appriciate the positive help I got from this thread.

I also hear the 'Battries+ retail stores' now sell 'ODYSSEY' batteries. They run an additional $15.00 plus tax.

Back