• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding where you see more BMW's

jeffkruger

I was in Wisconsin this summer during a bike trip. Always amazed, but not surprised, by how the HD's really outnumber everything else there. I think most of of that ride BMW's are accustomed to riding a bit less common brand.

I rode from my home in eastern WA yesterday to Joseph Oregon for breakfast. Some great twisty mountain road riding in some beautiful country. I go that way quite a bit and for whatever reason, BMW's usually outnumber the other makes of bikes in that area. Yesterday I only saw two HD's, and they were parked in Joseph, two FJR's, two Goldwings, and about a dozen BMW's, of which more than half were GS's. The BMW's pretty much outnumbered the other bikes I saw 2 to 1. Always nice to see you other folks out on the road.

I rode from my home in eastern WA yesterday to Joseph Oregon for breakfast.

That's great riding country; we're headed down that way next week. You're lucky to have it so close. I see a fair number of BMWs on the road, I guess because of what they are.

The owner of the largest bike dealer in Canada recently told me that nobody rides long distances like BMW owners.

That's great riding country; we're headed down that way next week. You're lucky to have it so close. I see a fair number of BMWs on the road, I guess because of what they are.

The owner of the largest bike dealer in Canada recently told me that nobody rides long distances like BMW owners.

I believe there is a lot of truth in that. I know when I am on a trip, a lot of riders that I end up talking with that are also on a trip and aren't local, are on a BMW. I rode the Great River Road from south of New Orleans to the headwaters at Lake Itasca last year and talked with quite a few other BMW riders that were traveling as well. I also stopped at some great dealerships. I appreciate the new shiny mega dealerships for what they are, but I really like finding smaller, single line BMW dealerships. Grassroots BMW in Missouri is a real gem of a dealership.

I will pm you my cell number. Give me a shout when you are down this way. I can put you on to some other routes through the local area that are really nice.

When we're on a trip most of the bikes we see are Harleys. Doesn't matter what state.

When we're on a trip most of the bikes we see are Harleys. Doesn't matter what state.

But how many of the HD's are traveling very far from home opposed to local? My thinking is probably scewed, but it doesn't really feel like a trip until I'm a few states away from home. To get to Missoula MT from my home is about 7 hours via Lolo and I will ride over there for lunch and come back the same day.

I typically see quite a few HD's as well, but the majority I have talked with aren't far from home unless it's close to Sturgis time. In my local area there are more HD's on any given day than anything. Every time I have been to Wisconsin I have been surprised at the sheer number of HD's.

I was surprised that plenty (mayby 20%) of the HD's I see are actually Honda-Suz-Kaw-Yama cruisers, even Victories and Indians now. Some of them do a pretty impressive job of imitating the HD look. If you enjoy being on a unique ride try a Ural. I've seen 3 on the road in the last 3 years, besides at the dealer. BMW's are a dime a dozen!

If you see a HD in a state other than the one their tag was issued for, it probably was trailered there. Also, they have been known to stuff paper or whatever in the luggage bag strapped to the back seat to look like they are on a "long" trip. :)

But how many of the HD's are traveling very far from home opposed to local? .

True, most of the Harleys we see are probably local or from the surrounding States, but not always.
A couple weeks ago we met a couple from Quebec on a Harley in the UP of Michigan and they told us they were on the way to Seattle. One or two days latter in Ontario my wife met another couple on a Harley who were also on their way to Seattle.

I'm not a HD fan, but there are many long distance HD riders. When I lived in AK I'd see many every summer that rode up from the lower 48. A year or so ago Iron Butt Magazine did a feature on a HD rider who did 55,000 miles in one year in competative rally's alone, not counting his normal riding. The average HD rider may indeed ride fewer miles than the average BMW rider, but it is a mistake to think they are all bar hoppers.

40% of all Harleys sold are still on the road. The other 60% made it home.

Akbeemer, I lived in Fairbanks over 30 years. Bill Fenderson owned HD's furthest most outpost in Fairbanks for years. Bought quite a few bikes from him and rode a few of them up and down the Alcan more than once. Made it to Prudhoe on a FLHTC shortly after the haul road was opened to the public. Then, from my perception, HD's started being purchased by different types of folks than had been buying them for years. I didn't like most of them. They did an amazingly good job of selling the image and lifestyle. I have met some great folks that still ride HD's and actually travel on them. I think they are a fairly small percentage of owners though. I am an IBA premier member and have seen the numbers on how many start rallies and how many finish.

I think with Indian being owned by a company that can financially back the brand they will make inroads into HD market share.

I can tell you for sure that with cooler fall temps in the Blue Mountains yesterday, there were more BMW's on the road there by a fair margin. Some of them were probably pansies like me, using a heated jacket liner and heated grips.

I'm not a HD fan, but there are many long distance HD riders. When I lived in AK I'd see many every summer that rode up from the lower 48. A year or so ago Iron Butt Magazine did a feature on a HD rider who did 55,000 miles in one year in competitive rally's alone, not counting his normal riding. The average HD rider may indeed ride fewer miles than the average BMW rider, but it is a mistake to think they are all bar hoppers.
I believe the Hoka Hey challenge is only open to american made bikes. It is quite a long distance ride and challenge. http://www.hokaheychallenge.com/pages/2016_challenge.html

In this neck of the woods we do not have any dealer for miles and i would say the mix is pretty even coming through (my Tim Hortons coffee shop on the highway observation). I will say this though. You can almost bet they will be dressed to the bike they ride. BMW folks in Klim and other assorted higher end BMW dry ware. Harley and cruiser types in leather or some version of a pirate attire. The Japanese bike crowd generally in a mix of Joe rocket / off brand wear and a yellow rain suit with tattered legs.

The one equalizer is they all have a smile on their face and a story to tell.

Last edited:
I travel all over the U.S. On this trip I've been from Marion, Ar. to Paragould Ar. to Arlington, Tx. to Plano Tx., Rockwall, Tx, to Mansfield, Tx. To Tekamah, Ne. to Council Bluffs , Ia. on this trip. Haven't seen one BMW on the road. A couple of bikes rode in to the BMW dealer while I was at the dealer in Plano, Tx. :scratch Usually see a few on most trips.

Just left church service in downtown Council Bluff, Iowa and saw a F650 parked on Broadway Av.; maybe a sign that I'll see more BMW's on the road. :wave

On my rides and drives in AZ I see quite a few BMWs, esp. up on the mountain roads, but I see (and pass) more Harleys by far, maybe 10:1.

yup...and ???

That's certainly been my experience over the past few years. Any trip; moto, car, whatever. All Harleys all the time. We used to see a lot more Goldwings with large couples in color matched attire...or running shorts and flip-flops. But we seldom see 'Wings. ...or BMWs these days.

Is it bc they sell so many more GS's and I seldom drive where tree stumps are involved?:scratch

Harleys in Wisconsin

Quite some time ago, I spent a year working in Green Bay; was riding a Gold Wing back then (mid-80s). Green Bay was kind of a union paper mill town, if you don't count the football team, and it was a point of pride to ride Harleys, since they're made just down the road in Milwaukee.

the last few years

30+ years ago, when I started touring, most of the bikes seemed to be Wings. These days I seems like it's all HD out on the road. The hotel lots are crammed with the damned things!:violin...maybe they just stop earlier in the day than I, and take all the best parking...usually enough room for three bikes, but ...yk...freedom!

The last few years

30+ years ago, when I started touring, most of the bikes seemed to be Wings. These days I seems like it's all HD out on the road. The hotel lots are crammed with the damned things!:violin...maybe they just stop earlier in the day than I, and take all the best parking...usually enough room for three bikes, but ...yk...freedom!

Total sales of H-D motorcycles for 2015 in the USA were 282,000 bikes compared to the 16,330 record USA sales of BMW motorcycles. No wonder it seems Harleys are everywhere!

I see more HD on certain roads, even here in Vermont. If the road is straight or has only gentle sweeping curves I see mostly cruisers. On the twisties I see sport bikes, GS, and V-Strom...and the occasional Harley acting like every curve was filled with terror.

Nothing against them (if they aren't in a pack blocking traffic); it's just a different style of riding. Sports car vs Cadillac. Those I've met on the road a long way from our respective homes are much like me, aside from the choice of steed.

I see more HD on certain roads, even here in Vermont. If the road is straight or has only gentle sweeping curves I see mostly cruisers. On the twisties I see sport bikes, GS, and V-Strom...and the occasional Harley acting like every curve was filled with terror.

Nothing against them (if they aren't in a pack blocking traffic); it's just a different style of riding. Sports car vs Cadillac. Those I've met on the road a long way from our respective homes are much like me, aside from the choice of steed.

:lol So true! I have found that most cruiser riders that find themselves enjoying riding with "our types", will admit they want a different bike. They are the ones who are really motorcyclist and not posers. So many folks today follow trends and not good sense. Some ride a motorcycle (usually a cruiser) because that is what they think makes them look cool. They do not even really enjoy riding, but this makes them fit in with the crowd.

Back