• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gauley Bridge motorcycle accidents

Re: RR X Crash

stevecanzona said:
I'm a veteran law enforcement officer and I have investigated hundreds of accidents. I have been riding motorcycles for 37 years and I've never encountered anything like this. My crash happened on Sat. afternoon (7/12/03). I can't believe no one from the county or state posted any warnings at this crossing once it became apparent that bikes were crashing.

Did you get a ticket?

MarkF

Re: RR X Crash

Originally posted by stevecanzona
I was maybe going 20 mph. As soon as my front wheel contacted the rubber apron, I went down. I was'nt braking and was only leaning sightly. It happened so fast it was as if someone had just slapped me over! .................. My crash happened on Sat. afternoon (7/12/03). I can't believe no one from the county or state posted any warnings at this crossing once it became apparent that bikes were crashing.

My wife and I went down at 2:20 that afternoon. I don't know if we were before you or after, but either way the cop on the scene had seen bike after bike go down and did nothing. I'm mad, There's no excuse for him not taking some action to stop you or me from going down.

The other thing that sticks in my head is the split second nature of this crash. Like your saying above. We were just slapped over.
I never got a chance to be a good rider or a bad rider. I was doing 25 mph or less and maybe 5 degrees off straight up. I was busy apologizing to my wife for falling and making sure we weren't broken, but as soon as I had the bike up and off the road. I limped back to the tracks to see what "I" had done. I remember yelling something I shouldn't write in this forum. The sheer stupidity of the crossing design was overwhelming.

I thought my anger would lessen with weeks passing, but like my abused knee, I'm still sore... DonS

Gauley Bridge RR Crossing

I also went down at the tracks at Gauley Bridge. Two Hospitals, broken ribs, and other bones inmy back, and lacerated liver...when the fellow behind me went downand his bike hit me. My new GT trucked home $$, and now in the shop for $2600 in repairs. I'm still sore as hell. anything I can do to help prevent any more accidents there, I'll do. Phone is 413-567-9195

John Colleton
The Lonesome Weirdos

Another R/R Crossing in WV.

First off,
I feel for all of you who have been bitten by the rediculous R/R Crossing at Gauley Bridge WV. and I hope that all of you recover to full health and spirits. Remember, machinery can be rebuilt or replaced, a life lost cannot.
I will add my support to the cause of this R/R crossing problem and may I state that throughout all my years of travel among this and other countries, be it on a motorcycle or in a car, I have never seen such an obvious engineering mistake as the use of this rubberized material for a R/R Crossing. But alas, the Gauley Bridge R/R location is not the only use of such engineering marvelry in WV. I too came close to kissing the pavement while crossing another R/R location on RT.60. This R/R crossing is near the town of Rainelle and it is located close to the RC cola distribution center as one heads East out of Rainelle on RT.60. Again, it was raining (when didn't it?) and the approach of the tracks through a curve leaves little room, and little time, to cross at a safe angle for a motorcycle. Again, NO signs are posted to warn of the danger of these tracks and I, by the blessings of an unseen power, barely made it through this crossing without crashing. As luck would have it, I was forced to recover this sudden, and without warning, surprise by going well over the double yellow line of the oncoming lane (I thank God that no vehicles were approaching!). In what could have been a downfall for me and the end of my trip became a mixed blessing as I quickly regained control of the bike and limped into town as my heart pounded heavy in my throat and my charge indicator light glared brightly in my eyes. Although I didn't go down at the crossing near Rainelle and my bike never made it to the rally due to a reoccuring charge problem, I wonder how many others may have been bitten by this R/R location? Upon reading all the posts to this thread it is my opinion that this thread be open to anyone who has been forced off a Railroad crossing in any State or Country due to the use of such a profound material as this rubberized stuff for railroad crossings. The use of this material is certain death to motorcycles and may be found throughout the world. If the AMA or any other organization, or group, can help in eliminating this materials usage, and save the hardship, or life, of a motorcylist by doing so, I say more power to them! And to the anonymous guest who so blatantly chastised motorcyclists in general as needing to "Learn to ride"over railroad tracks I say to you sir or madam; come forward and face the combined forces of motrocyclists with your challenge. Many of us have been riding for years, if not decades, and have faced many a hazard with applomb. Your baltant disregard for motorcyclists "meddling" in this case only assists in adding to the already tremendous task of motorcycle safety and acknowledges your lack of understanding motorcyclists needs. I challenge you to come forth and substantiate your "claim" of attending to this problem. Come forth and help in saving lives not in ruining them.

Signed,
Dwayne D. Hudson
2002 R1150RT. BMWMOGA, BMWMOA

Here in SF, the local bicycle clubs and motorcycle clubs got together and got a law passed that requires steel plates placed in the road to have a grippy substance coating them.

Perhaps some similar move can be enacted to help with railroad crossings.

:dunno.

Re: Gauley Bridge RR Crossing

Pantana said:
I also went down at the tracks at Gauley Bridge. Two Hospitals, broken ribs, and other bones inmy back, and lacerated liver...when the fellow behind me went downand his bike hit me. My new GT trucked home $$, and now in the shop for $2600 in repairs. I'm still sore as hell. anything I can do to help prevent any more accidents there, I'll do. Phone is 413-567-9195

John Colleton
The Lonesome Weirdos

John,
Thanks to your buddies who were loading your bike into a Uhaul,and a sign saying breakfast buffet (wrong day) I did not go down that Friday morning. I did slide around somewhat but at 20 MPH I was able to keep control. Normally I would have been at 40 MPH on that crossing. Too bad everyone did not have advanced warning like I did.

As with any bureaucracy (in any state), it takes time and money to solve the problem

Or a good Lawsuit. I would urge all of you who had accidents at that intersection to start filing FOIA requests with state and local government (here is a great series on FOIA and WV, and here is a simple "how to".) It is simple and not only might the results be quite eye-opening, the flood of requests might do more to encourage results than simply sitting back and waiting for someone, anyone to do something.

OK, a short bit of research has produced some startling results.

The Crossing Conundrum

There is ample evidence that the crossing in question is hazardous to motorcycles. The town of Gauley Bridge has reported 17 motorcycle accidents from June 4, 2001 to July 12, 2003 - of note, 13 of the 17 accidents noted rainy weather, and further there has been not *a single* report of a car accident at the crossing over that same period. Of further note, the Town only reports accidents involving ambulance transport and/or where the motorcycle was so damaged to require towing. A town official estimates "at least twice as many [unreported] motorcycle accidents" over the same period. The West Virginia State Police have reported an additional 6 motorcycle accidents from 2002 to current, and the County Police have reported two additional for this current year.

The Problem

CSX Railroad is responsible for putting down the tracks over the road, and West Virginia Department of Highways (DoH) is responsible for building the road around/over the tracks. The Town of Gauley Bridge has been trying to have the crossing redesigned since 1995 and in early July of this year sent a detailed letter to DoH outlining the particular hazards to Motorcyclists of the crossing and requesting immediate repair or redesign (copy of letter on the way and will be reproduced once received.) The Charleston Gazette ran a lengthy story on July 27, 2003 titled "Motorcyclists Beware U.S. 60 Curve, Tracks, Rain Cause Wrecks" outlining many of the concerns cited in the letter.

The problem is that neither CSX nor DoH will take responsibility for the hazardous crossing, each pointing to the other as the one responsible for the hazardous condition and responsible for redesigning or making the crossing safe. According to a Gauley Bridge Town Official, the problem seems to be the rubber surrounding the tracks and the sharp curve over those pads ÔÇô it becomes "incredibly slick" during rain, a hazardous condition that could be quickly lessened by replacing the rubber with concrete (something the town has apparently been unsuccessfully pleading with DoH to do since 1995.) In 2001 a motorcyclist who became a quadriplegic as a result of an accident at the crossing sued DoH but the suit was apparently (and unfortunately) settled before going to trial.

Currently

The Town of Gauley Bridge is doing everything they can to urge CSX and DoH to settle their differences and redesign the crossing. The previously mentioned letter will hopefully spur some action, and I believe the time is ripe for a national, multi-brand organization (i.e. the AMA) to begin the process of bringing nationwide attention to this unique situation and working hard within the West Virginia Legislature and GovernorÔÇÖs Office to immediately repair or replace this intersection. Should the AMA not hop on this I would be more than happy to coordinate such a campaign within the BMW MOA.

For those who have had accidents at this crossing I would urge you to consult an Attorney with this information and explore legal remedies.

TED, TED, TED!

You go Ted. Little research my foot, you nailed it. I'm seeing an honorary degree in Library Science or something like that.

Thanks for all the information.

Fred

Re: TED, TED, TED!

Fred Jernigan said:
You go Ted. Little research my foot, you nailed it. I'm seeing an honorary degree in Library Science or something like that.

That's Esquire Ted, my friend. As in the lawyer from HELL! :mad

Ted -- your last post needs to go on your Rants page.

Ian

Ted, Ted, Ted!

Wow, what a friend to have! You are a light sir in a world full of Lucas electric's. This is quality information an I will make use of it.
I have not heard back from the AMA concerning the meeting I was made aware of. Your efforts and support is inspiring. This needs to be rectified and I agree that legal action is what makes a entity like CSX take notice. I will make an inquiry and see where that takes me. It's just not the path I would normally travel.
Like Arlo sang " I don't want a nickel, just wanna ride my motor sickle, and I don't wanna die... just wanna ride my motor- cye...cul. DonS

lawsuits

You know, I hate to encourage lawyers, but it seems that this is a textbook example of why multi-million dollar lawsuits are necessary. Obviously the nitwits at the railroad and the DofH are prepared to say "It's the other guy's responsibility" until some trial lawyer siphons a hefty sum from their bank account. Just a damn shame that somebody gets hurt.

I'm going to suggest that we find as many sites as possible and post "DO NOT VISIT THIS AREA" notices. Usually the local businesses are able to bring a good deal of pressure on local and state officials. As for the railroad....sue the bastards, CSX is one of the most obnoxious, public-be-damned companies in America.

Terry

Re: lawsuits

TheSuperScoot said:
I'm going to suggest that we find as many sites as possible and post "DO NOT VISIT THIS AREA" notices. Usually the local businesses are able to bring a good deal of pressure on local and state officials. As for the railroad....sue the bastards, CSX is one of the most obnoxious, public-be-damned companies in America.

Terry

Imagine if the MOA had decided to back out of the Almost Heaven Rally because of this crossing. You think anyone would have cared? Of course not! The businesses that make money at rallies are always surprised, they never anticipate the windfall profit a huge BMW rally brings.

MarkF

Last edited:
Two quick points-

The Town of Gauley Bridge has been trying for the better part of eight years to have this crossing redesigned, they know they are getting a bad reputation among motorcyclists (not to mention the draw on resources attending to accidents.) They want this fixed in the worse way, but as a (very) small town they unfortunately have not yet had the clout to have DoH and CSX resolve their differences and redesign the crossing. Hopefully the letter will be sufficiently enlightening to get the ball rolling. And to the anonymous poster who urged folks to "stay out", I was told that the town can use as much constructive help as it can get.

Second, the BMW MOA Rally Site Selection Team has put together a fantastic collection of materials to send to prospective Rally sites. Included in the material are letters from Chiefs of Police lauding BMW Riders for being well-behaved and responsible, Mayors and other Elected Officials thanking the BMW MOA and citing estimates of the 7-figure amounts that BMW MOA brings to town, and even letters from local merchants thanking BMW MOA and asking the Organization to return. The Town of Charleston was well aware of the huge revenue that BMW MOA would bring - I know because I tagged along on the initial site visit and was simply bowled over by the lengths that the Mayor's Office and the Convention Bureau went to ensure that the BMW MOA chose Charleston.

Moving forward I think it best to have all AMA members take this information and contact their AMA Field Rep with a cc: to the AMA Director of State Affairs (find the contact info here) asking them to help remedy the situation. And again, those who have accidents should immediately consult an Attorney (there are folks like Tom McGrath who specifically represent Motorcycle Riders.)

Thank the locals - informative Riding

"There is always something to be learned"

On 60 I stopped at a gas station to wait for some riding buddies to catch up. As I was fueling up I caught them going by and waved them down. As we were all pulling out, one of the locals also filling up warned us of the Gauley bridge RR crossing and mentioned that bikes were going down. Told us to BE CAREFUL.
GO SLOW!
I gota hand it to this Man for stepping up and warning a few strangers obviously from out of town about the impending danger ahead. If only more people like that rode Beemers, We all would be riding safer.
As a lifelong Motorcycle rider, but new to the Bmw world
It seems to pay off to stop and meet the locals A lesson I sure learned this trip.
I will surely ask rather than be told next time.
I would hate to see some very nice local people and their businesses suffer because we as riders did not look out for each other. Its pathetic that so many went down. Its seems we were not taking care of our own.

Did anyone ever think to throw down a flare or some kind of warning for the next guy. Did anyone ask the police to do the same. If not, why not. You don't need permission to put a flare or
sign out. If one local guy can tell me that the road is bad ahead then for God sakes why can't we keep an eye out for each other.
That is inexcusable!

If I had found out that there were others that went down before
me, I would be livid that no warning was posted, by local law enforcement or other rally riders.

LOOKOUT FOR EACH OTHER and SPEAKOUT TO EACH OTHER!

I can tell you that we stayed at the site until the track rubber dried up. About an hour and a half. We were hurting, but stood next to the road and waved to all approaching bikes to slow down. Another guy ( Willie from Grand Rapids MI.on an LT) burned up all the flares he had.

A big part of my anger is that the cop wouldn't do anything. Yes I ranted about signs and he kept coming back with there was nothing he could do, blaming the rail road. I told him he should stay there and do what we were doing, but another bike went down, he left us and I never saw him again.

I was half in shock and sore from a crash, several states away from home and trying to console my battered wife. I was a victim at that point and needed to get to some comfort. I don't normally carry a sheet of plywood and a can of orange spray paint on a motorcycle trip and take exception to your comments about others efforts. I did limp back to the convention center and tell my story to the "Communications" desk as "other" victims of the crash did. My thought was that they should announce this to all the people in the center at the time as a warning. NO ANNOUNCEMENT WAS MADE...

I emailed Imre Szauter of the AMA about the accidents here, and his last email says that the crossing will be "totally rehabilitated" in under 90 days. with additional signs posted as well. He's been very helpfull, made me glad I've been an AMA member for years.

Unregistered said:
I emailed Imre Szauter of the AMA about the accidents here, and his last email says that the crossing will be "totally rehabilitated" in under 90 days. with additional signs posted as well. He's been very helpfull, made me glad I've been an AMA member for years.

:clap :clap :clap

That's awesome! Who are you?

Back