• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Battery charging issue

erickz

1995 R1100RSL : left the bike on its side stand (had to only way I could get it to fit in the garage) plugged into a Battery Tender using an extension between the tender and the bike. Had a green light on the Tender but when went to start no joy - nothing except a few instrument cluster lights. Moved the bike closer to the outlet, removed the extension between the Tender and the bike with the bike on the center stand. Tender shows a charging light.

Will be on the side stand negate the Battery Tender? I know as a safety feature putting down the side stand turns the bike off. Will the extension between the Tender and the bike reduce the trickle charge to a useless level?

Thanks

Sidestand - centerstand - no difference.

Extension between charger and battery - mabe a little effect but it should still charge - a little slower.

I bet bad battery.

Nice part about the tenders is that they are "smarter" than plain chargers. Not nice part is that they don't load test or tell if there is a weak connection between cells, thus they can give a false fully charged reading.

Yes, what Paul said. Flooded cell batteries are good for 2-3 years at best. AGM up to 5. I don't know about longevity of LiFe or exotics due to lack of personal experience.

Battery Charging Issue

Sorry to be gone for so long ... Left the bike plugged in overnight close to the electrical outlet. The next morning I could hear the fuel pump power up and the starter selinoid chatter but no joy. Will leave it plugged in for a week while I am out of town.
Will be replacing the battery upon my return. Can anyone point me to a thread on how to replace for a R1100RSL?
Thanks
EZ

You might check all the connections for corrosion and tightness before investing in a new battery.

Sorry to be gone for so long ... Left the bike plugged in overnight close to the electrical outlet. The next morning I could hear the fuel pump power up and the starter selinoid chatter but no joy. Will leave it plugged in for a week while I am out of town.
Will be replacing the battery upon my return. Can anyone point me to a thread on how to replace for a R1100RSL?
Thanks
EZ

Remove left side panel.

Observe end of battery and visible negative connection.

Unclip rubber hold-down strap

Disconnect negative (ground) wire

Slide battery out to the left

Disconnect positive cable (note: this is tricky - a second pair of hands or resting the battery on the cylinder is usually needed to loosen the battery bolt)

If you are only getting 2 to 3 years from a FLA battery, you have problems elsewhere.

And AGM batteries do not last longer.

I have gotten many more years out of my PC-680's then any other FLA batteries. I do use the proper maintenance charger for them.

Remove left side panel.

Observe end of battery and visible negative connection.

Unclip rubber hold-down strap

Disconnect negative (ground) wire

Slide battery out to the left

Disconnect positive cable (note: this is tricky - a second pair of hands or resting the battery on the cylinder is usually needed to loosen the battery bolt)

I forgot - the air snorkel is in the way. 1 little bolt at front, and unclip lid at the back.

I have gotten many more years out of my PC-680's then any other FLA batteries. I do use the proper maintenance charger for them.

Up to 9-10 for me for AGM's, I have them in customers bikes and ATV's as well as my own.

I forgot - the air snorkel is in the way. 1 little bolt at front, and unclip lid at the back.

The OP says his bike is an R1100RSL. These battery replacement steps sound just like the steps for my RT. Are these steps the same for an RS? Similar enough?

At double the price of my FLA batteries, an AGM would have to get 18 years in my motorcycles and 32 years in my cars to make them worth it.

The OP says his bike is an R1100RSL. These battery replacement steps sound just like the steps for my RT. Are these steps the same for an RS? Similar enough?.[/QUOTE said:
R1100RS and RSL yes for sure. Not my R1150R for sure.

Last edited:
If I had a 10 year old battery that was still OK electrically I'd remove and replace it anyway for fear the embrittled plastic case would disintegrate.

R1100RS and RSL yes for sure. Not my R1150R for sure.

You lost me there Paul.

If I had a 10 year old battery that was still OK electrically I'd remove and replace it anyway for fear the embrittled plastic case would disintegrate.

I've never had a battery case issue as long as I have lived, but I do buy quality batteries such as Mareg, East Penn, etc.

At double the price of my FLA batteries, an AGM would have to get 18 years in my motorcycles and 32 years in my cars to make them worth it.

The absence of acid spillage potential & terminal corrosion is worth the extra cost alone.
Flooded cell technology is history in mobile applications.
The only place I still use them is in standby and station control applications.
AGM's are even taking over in marine applications.

The absence of acid spillage potential & terminal corrosion is worth the extra cost alone.

"Potential" being the key word, yet in over 40 years of vehicle ownership, I have never experienced spillage or terminal corrosion. I never seem to have issues...probably due to preventive maintenance.

I'm sticking to FLA by choice. The service life in my ownership is hard to beat.

"Potential" being the key word, yet in over 40 years of vehicle ownership, I have never experienced spillage or terminal corrosion. I never seem to have issues...probably due to preventive maintenance.

I'm sticking to FLA by choice. The service life in my ownership is hard to beat.

I also prefer FLA where it is reasonably convenient to check the electrolite levels: eg our K75s, F800, F650 and R1100RS. On bikes that require a lot just to get to the battery I prefer a VRLA battery.

On bikes that require a lot just to get to the battery I prefer a VRLA battery.

Plus on some models (non BMWs), the battery is installed on its side. No choice in that situation.

My R1150 GS Adventure came with a GEL. No choice there. It also did not last that long...5 years but then it is stored out of my care for 10 months a year and supposedly on a maintainer.

Back