• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What to buy? GoPro, SJCAM, etc.? Mounting?

gharnden

I have ridden since 1969, been a lot of places including Alaska and the Arctic Circle and wish I had video.
I am now ready to buy a set up for my R1200GS for next summer taking a trip back through BC, Yukon, and Alaska.
Recommendations please on camera, where to mount, etc.
I know nothing about storage capacity of cameras, transferring to my computer (IPad) or IPhone. Any help on where to go to educate myself would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

I have ridden since 1969, been a lot of places including Alaska and the Arctic Circle and wish I had video.
I am now ready to buy a set up for my R1200GS for next summer taking a trip back through BC, Yukon, and Alaska.
Recommendations please on camera, where to mount, etc.
I know nothing about storage capacity of cameras, transferring to my computer (IPad) or IPhone. Any help on where to go to educate myself would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

I have 15,000 slides I heven't looked at in 20 years. I'd have the same problem with video. And to make it viewable other than a curiosity one hour of finished video might take 10 hours of raw video. It becomes either a whole bunch of disjointed files, or a new hobby. So, it isn't for me but lots of folks seem to enjoy it.

Video

I agree with Paul. I have a GoPro and thought I'd enjoy doing the cool video posting and viewing my great rides. Come to find out, there is a lot of work involved not just taking the videos but also editing a adding music to make it all very interesting. What I've started doing is using the GoPro with the still photo rather than video. Works well and is easier to manage. I mount the camera on my helmet and use the remote control to snap the picture that I'm looking at. Much easier than stopping the bike and pulling out a camera.

Having said all that, I know several people who use GoPro video and make great videos to share on YouTube.

Back