Thread: What to buy? GoPro, SJCAM, etc.? Mounting?

What to buy? GoPro, SJCAM, etc.? Mounting?

I have ridden since 1969, been a lot of places including Alaska and the Arctic Circle and wish I had video.
    I am now ready to buy a set up for my R1200GS for next summer taking a trip back through BC, Yukon, and Alaska.
    Recommendations please on camera, where to mount, etc.
    I know nothing about storage capacity of cameras, transferring to my computer (IPad) or IPhone. Any help on where to go to educate myself would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by gharnden View Post
    I have ridden since 1969, been a lot of places including Alaska and the Arctic Circle and wish I had video.
    I am now ready to buy a set up for my R1200GS for next summer taking a trip back through BC, Yukon, and Alaska.
    Recommendations please on camera, where to mount, etc.
    I know nothing about storage capacity of cameras, transferring to my computer (IPad) or IPhone. Any help on where to go to educate myself would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    I have 15,000 slides I heven't looked at in 20 years. I'd have the same problem with video. And to make it viewable other than a curiosity one hour of finished video might take 10 hours of raw video. It becomes either a whole bunch of disjointed files, or a new hobby. So, it isn't for me but lots of folks seem to enjoy it.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Video

I agree with Paul. I have a GoPro and thought I'd enjoy doing the cool video posting and viewing my great rides. Come to find out, there is a lot of work involved not just taking the videos but also editing a adding music to make it all very interesting. What I've started doing is using the GoPro with the still photo rather than video. Works well and is easier to manage. I mount the camera on my helmet and use the remote control to snap the picture that I'm looking at. Much easier than stopping the bike and pulling out a camera.

Having said all that, I know several people who use GoPro video and make great videos to share on YouTube.
    Mary
    2007 R1200RT, gone
    2009 R1200RT, gone
    2014 R1200RTW, GREAT