• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

07-09 RT or 11 RT?

fordtech50

Hello, new guy here looking for comments, advice, suggestions.

I was going to buy a GL 1500 or a GL1800 but have decided instead to get an RT. I rode an 04 last year that I was thinking about but the 54000 miles scared me a little as well as some of the shifting characteristics. I just have always loved the looks of these bikes and wanted a comfortable long distance tourer. I've heard the good (and some bad- mainly older models from what I've read) I've read up alot about them. I am a professional mechanic-rebuild transmissions, engines, know electrical so I would be performing any repairs and maintenance. I have 3 prospects that I could buy at a moments notice.

One is a 2007 Blue with low miles under 11000 with new tires, and is a very good looking bike but I worry about it not being ridden and sitting too much- seals drying out etc. Plus he wants a fairly high price. It's probably my third choice based on age, and price. Although my first choice in color- looks really nice.

The second is a Silver 09 with 28000 miles and fairly new tires and has been ridden across the country twice and has service history records. The current 2nd owner bought a 1600 and he rode this bike pretty hard- which may not be a bad thing. I would want to run it hard too if need be. The price is very reasonable too and comes with a few extras. The silver color's nice.

The third is a Ostra grey matte metallic 2011 trade at a dealer-one owner who they said bought it and maintained it there. 21000 miles. Not much more than what the guy with the immaculate 07 wants. Plus newer engine, some newer technology. Color is nice but not my first choice.

So, have the newer camhead 1200s had any major issues that I should be looking out for? The 07-09s? I thought about bringing a stethoscope to listen to rear drive bearings with bike on centerstand. Checking for play in wheel. Have the Final drives been holding up pretty good on the later model 1200s? How about transmission input shafts, and ABS stuff?

The 09 seems like the logical choice based on the money, service history, etc. I could use the savings on things for the bike like maybe a better seat. But I really like the idea of a couple year newer bike with a little extra power and newer technology in general.

Any opinions, comments, suggestions welcome. I just sold my Bonneville so I'm jonesin to ride and I'm gonna buy soon.

Last edited:
Had you looked at the switchgear? The '07 and '09 have BMW's older left-button-for-left-signal, right-button-for-right-signal, right-upper-button-to-cancel turn signals (personally, I *greatly* prefer this approach); the '11 has the Japanese-style single button on the left grip. The '11 also has the first iteration of BMW's MutliController wheel on the left grip (limited functionality, but convenient for radio volume adjustment).

FWIW, I like my (now my wife's) '12 RT better than my '09 RT, despite the switchgear. The changes to the engine going from hexhead to camhead removed the "sag" in the torque curve in the 4k-5k rpm range. The '12 also has a fuel level float instead of the very failure-prone fuel level strip -- not sure whether the change occurred in '11 or '12 (pretty sure it was '11).

07-09RT or 11RT

I have a 2011 RT no trouble at all with 37000 miles,been to Washington, state, three times Blue Ridge countless times,not one problem,

56000 miles on my 2013 (same version, 2010-2013) and it has been flawless except for one strange issue...clutch splines sheared...BMW had never seen it on this version of the RT....other than than perfect....i do the maintenance myself every 6000 miles too....

wyman

That's right, another tidbit of info I picked up, the 11 has the float instead of the somewhat problematic fuel strips I've read about. So chalk up another plus for the 11

Last edited:
How about the matte paint? Does it hold up well? I remember a Harley salesman telling me that their matte bikes cannot be clearcoated so they are prone to chip eaaily

Last edited:
Any of them have an after market seat? That is the best improvement I made to my Blue 07RT and something you will need to consider if you go cross country. It ain't cheap so if it comes with one that is a big plus.

I have an 07 with similar mileage as your blue one. No issues with any leaks, or anything else for that matter. Top mods I made were Ohlins front and rear and custom seats for me and my wife. It's my forever bike.

When looking for a used bike, my first choice would always be one that has been meticulously cleaned and maintained. I actually prefer a bike that has been owner maintained vs a dealer. Owners care more about their bikes than a shop tech.

When looking for a used bike, my first choice would always be one that has been meticulously cleaned and maintained. I actually prefer a bike that has been owner maintained vs a dealer. Owners care more about their bikes than a shop tech.

+1,000

My '08 has been trouble free. If the fuel strip goes out (again) it's under warranty until 2019, I'll worry about it then....

I'd make sure the switch gear has been replaced on any '10-'13.

That's right, another tidbit of info I picked up, the 11 has the float instead of the somewhat problematic fuel strips I've read about. So chalk up another plus for the 11

This for one.

I'd also probably pass on the '07 as '08 is when they beefed up the drive shaft and I think the final drive bearing as well. My friend had an '07 and the U-joints failed at 30k. Had to send the drive shaft off for repair and it wasn't too bad, but was a big hassle.

The '09 is probably perfectly fine, however after switching to the camhead, I'd have a hard time going back. BMW is pretty good at making each generation perform a little better than the last (hence why I won't even try one of the new wetheads). Camheads have noticeably better torque and tend to require less valve adjustments due to their shim system (though initially they are a hassle as you have to go buy specific shims to make the adjustments). I also just like the look of the camheads better than the older models.

Had an '08 and traded it for a '12.

BMW improves these bikes every year.

Much nicer motor on the '12.

Can usually see the speedo and tach, not as often the computer screen. Pretty hard to see any of them on the older version. Reflections.

I like the older-style switches, too, but there are just too many things to control these days. It's actually not the turn signals that are the worst feature of the new switches but rather the heated grips button. Push for on/low, push again for on/high, push third time for off. Only visual clue where you're at is an icon on the usually unreadable computer screen. But they made it even worse on the wetheads, as you have to use the wonder wheel to scroll through a menu to find how to control the grips ... so not complaining that much.

I have a 2007 R1200RT that I absolutely love. I bought it used 2 years ago.

I had a great ride from Ohio to the rally in Billings and then into Canada. However, I was in Jasper, Alberta when I noticed a black accumulation on the rear end.

As I headed south, I thought the road had strange surface. At a gas/food stop, I noticed the accumulation at the rear end now included shiny steel or aluminum.

I took photos and sent to my dealer, Mathias BMW in New Philadelphia, Ohio. Upon their advice, headed for Big Sky BMW in Missoula, Montana.

Bottom line...my rear bearings disintegrated and destroyed the rear brakes. I never had any apparent symptoms. The shiny metal I saw was from the brake parts.

To change the rear drive oil on the 2007 model, the rear wheel must be removed. There is no drain plug. I suspect previous owners failed to change the rear drive oil as needed.

The bearings can not be replaced. The entire rear end needed to be ordered from Germany. The replacement rear drive is supposed to have the drain valves. Cost for that part alone was over $2,000 US.

Add that to your list of pros and cons for each model.

Thanks for all the replies. I have ruled out the 07. I knew they didn't have a drain plug on fd but didn't know the bearing and driveshaft was beefed up in 08 so that's good info to have. The only negative I can see so far on the 11 are those reservoirs in front. Wth were they thinking there? I definitely like the older switchgear and resevoir appearance.

Thanks for all the replies. I have ruled out the 07. I knew they didn't have a drain plug on fd but didn't know the bearing and driveshaft was beefed up in 08 so that's good info to have. The only negative I can see so far on the 11 are those reservoirs in front. Wth were they thinking there? I definitely like the older switchgear and resevoir appearance.
I hated the reservoirs when they came out. I don't even know they're there when I ride the '12 now. Ignore them as you shop.

+1,000

My '08 has been trouble free. If the fuel strip goes out (again) it's under warranty until 2019, I'll worry about it then....

I'd make sure the switch gear has been replaced on any '10-'13.

Why would I want to make sure the switchgear was replaced? Have there been issues, or recalls on them? Or do you mean just replaced for some other reason like cosmetics? Thanks.

What's the story with these fuel strips that seem to fail at a high rate? Are they easy to replace? Is it something that is mounted inside the fuel cell?

I'm not sure about the "beefed up" in 08. Take a look at the parts fiche available online (Max BMW for example). The main bearings are the same. The driveshaft for the 07-earlier is heavier in weight than the 08-on. I haven't read anything definitive on the difference though. And I also haven't read anything indicating failures are more prone for one particular year vs another.
I've changed final drive oil on multiple bikes that didn't have the drain plug at the bottom. It's not that difficult. Get the JVB maintenance DVD and simply follow his instructions. Sound advice for whatever year you end up with.

Fuel strips are a known issue. BMW had admitted it and has extended the warranty period for them. They are inside the tank and send the fuel level to the gauge.

I had an 07 RT and now have a 12 RT. if the 11 is in good shape and has been maintained well I would go with the cam head. There is much better mid range power on the cam heads then the hex heads. And the 11 should be more bulletproof with regards to final drives and fuel strips. I'm not sure whether 11 was the first year that they switched from fuel strips to floats or whether it was 12? Not saying the 07 is a bad bike, as I really liked mine, but there is a generational evolution between the two.

Doug

Back