Thread: R60/5 Front Brake Switch Servicable?

R60/5 Front Brake Switch Servicable?

Front Brake Switch has been inop for awhile - pulled it off last night and it seems to have a short - when I press the spring loaded ball on end that interfaces with brake lever, there is a short - picture shows leads from multi-meter set in sound function mode - all I'm getting is a scratch intermittent beep - already sprayed contact cleaner beneath ball and did my best to scrape contacts where 2 wires reside. The wires, when shorted and outside the switch, activate the brake light as it should.

Is this switch serviceable or easiest to buy a new one?

As always, thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

I don't know.

Maybe the switch could come apart if the metal case (which looks crimped onto the nylon piece at the bottom) were un-crimped. But I don't know what you'd run into inside, or if it could be re-crimped and reassembled.

real.com shows it as part no. 1 on this page: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=61_0224.

Perhaps Motorrad Elektrik could also supply a new one.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Tried a few things & conclude switch is kaput.

Thanks!
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    If too far gone WD40 or penetrating oil won't get it working again. Of course if you're like me when the new one arrives you'll carefully cut this one open and see what went wrong!
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Do like Brook did...cut it open so we can all see how they work.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Do like Brook did...cut it open so we can all see how they work.
    GOOD thought!!!!!!!!

I'll do it and also curious to cut my k75 fuel filter to find out what it looks like inside!
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

I just R&R'd mine. Too many battles, got pick the low hanging fruit sometimes.

I've rebuilt my /5 starter/turn signal switch a couple of times, but it's about to go the R&R route too.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

Yes, by all means cut it open and do an autopsy. Then wrap in in fine cloth, dig a hole and give it a proper burial. Or do like me unscrew the little threaded screws,save them for who knows what and throw the carcass in a metal scrap pile to be recycled into a new whatever product. Something tells me it won't be something as exciting as a /5 light switch. Just teasing.

Quote Originally Posted by lmo1131 View Post
    I just R&R'd mine. Too many battles, got pick the low hanging fruit sometimes.

I've rebuilt my /5 starter/turn signal switch a couple of times, but it's about to go the R&R route too.
    If you do go this way, here's a much less expensive alternative to the BMW Mothership.

https://www.motobins.co.uk/bmw-parts...&bikeref=R90-6
    '08 BMW R1200RT
    '75 Red R75/6
    '08 Suzuki DL650 "Screaming Yellow Zonker"
    Looking for Ed Sanders' Truck Stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff488 View Post
    If you do go this way, here's a much less expensive alternative to the BMW Mothership.

https://www.motobins.co.uk/bmw-parts...&bikeref=R90-6
    Actually, I've found a pretty wide spread on parts from the different suppliers, including Motobins. In this instance, bmwhucky.com has the best price. It pays to check the different parts outlets as you can save big (of course we're all still spending $)
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

Looks to me that Motobins is $7.00 less.
    Shipping could eat that up, though.
    '08 BMW R1200RT
    '75 Red R75/6
    '08 Suzuki DL650 "Screaming Yellow Zonker"
    Looking for Ed Sanders' Truck Stop.

repaired mine

I am rebuilding a '72 R75/5 and found the front brake switch inop. One of the terminals was loose and moved around. I looked for a replacement and found that they are out of stock everywhere I tried. What do I have to lose by taking it apart?
    Used my dremmel to carefully remove the crimp in the metal case without cutting into the plastic switch body.
    pulled out the switch.
    found that the loose terminal was not attached to the rest of the switch like the other side was.
    cleaned everything up with deoxit.
    Applied a bead of solder to each of the 2 parts that were separated
    held everything in the correct position with small clamps
    heated the part of the terminal I could see with a soldering iron to melt the solder on both parts at the same time
    checked to see that the terminal was not tight (after cooling)
    it seemed OK physically and works electrically.
    used epoxy to hold the switch part inside the metal body and let it cure for 2 days (the bike is a project, so time is not important)
    Seems OK after a week, but can not be sure if a permanent fix.
    The workings of the switch are simple once you get it apart.
    It might work for you - nothing to lose if the parts are not available until late 2015 as MAX says. Part is 61 31 1 351 662

Update:

Well, I expeditiously received my new front brake switch from BMW Hucky. When I tested it, before installing, I was confused as the rear brake light was powered w/out pushing the end of the switch.

I paused and thought back to the switch that had been in there - the one that wasn't working and the one I'd sprayed contact cleaner in and compressed air - I powered up the original switch and same thing - power w/out pushing the end of switch.

Had a revelation! The BMW engineers designed the switch to be compressed when installed into front brake perch and to release when brake lever is pulled - seemed so counterintuitive.

So, powered up original switch and have a spare. Will be watching it thought, as it failed before I removed it and cleaned it up so the extra switch may be useful in the future.

Bottom line for me - have never seen a switch that is hot in the "off" position. The German engineers continue to blow my mind!
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5