Thread: Improved Seals for R90/6

Improved Seals for R90/6

I have a 1974 R90/6 hooked up to a Ural Sidecar. It can sit in the garage for days without being ridden and out of nowhere start leaking a decent amount of oil? Then stop for a few days and repeat? Suspect it is time to change the seals again but wonder if there are any aftermarket improvements out there that anybody could recommend?

Thanks in Advance,

Dr Raoul Duke
    "Still Crazy After all these years"
    Dr. Raoul Duke
    1999 R1100GSA
    1974 R90/6 with Ural Sidecar

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

‘«ŰHunter S. Thompson

Dr. -

How many miles on the bike? Do you know where the leaks are coming from? I think that would help diagnose this. For example, you might need new pushrod tube seals. There may be new type of seals for the engine rear main seals and the transmission input seals.

I can't visualize how the bike can leak for a few days, stop, then start again without being ridden in between.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Bike mileage is unknown

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Dr. -

How many miles on the bike? Do you know where the leaks are coming from? I think that would help diagnose this. For example, you might need new pushrod tube seals. There may be new type of seals for the engine rear main seals and the transmission input seals.

I can't visualize how the bike can leak for a few days, stop, then start again without being ridden in between.
    Speedo/odometer never really worked well-so lets assume this is/was a high mileage bike as I had it replaced 2-3 years ago. I usually put 2-3k on it annually and it has had small oil leaks from time-to-time. Despite the low mileage I always get the oil changed in the spring and in the fall prior to storing it. The pushrod tube seals make a great deal of sense.

Regards,
    Dr. Raoul Duke
    Dr. Raoul Duke
    1999 R1100GSA
    1974 R90/6 with Ural Sidecar

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

‘«ŰHunter S. Thompson

FKA "woodnsteel"
    That happened one time to my R100/80/7 when parked for the winter. It was the under tank master cylinder weeping out of the plunger end. That is the only incident that I personally know of where a bike sprung a leak after being parked for a few days. If that be the case, you would have no front brakes in a short time.

It should be pretty easy to isolate if you were to clean the bottom side of the motor/drive train and patiently wait for the spotting to resume. All of the oil in the components that can do so, should settle out to the low spot withing an hour of shutdown.
    1973 R75/5
    1978 R100/80/7
    1988 R100RS (available)
    1981 R100R (organ donor)