• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

And man thinks they are so clever~

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
I have been watching this out my kitchen window. It has gone from about the size of a golf ball to just over the size of a softball. No school, no meetings, no smart-phones, no degree in engineering.

Pretty cool :thumb

OM

Attachments

• IMG_0323.jpg
    IMG_0323.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_0336.jpg
    IMG_0336.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 635
To follow--- Man "0", Little Yellow Critters, lost count, damn it, they win already!!

I hit a small nest with my almost new, almost still shiny John Deere Weed Eater, dropped it and ran. After two weeks, they got pretty aggressive, its actually making the newspaper here, I bought another weed eater.

Last night, I swear, I wasn't drinking any more than usual, I thought I could hear the old JD light up and some gothic giggle and buzz that went, "wait til you see what its like when we take this to your home! HA HA HA!"

Seriously, they are very bad here this year. Probably no worse than the southern climates but very bad for us. We also tend to be more diligent about our northern climate killers than stuff like wasps but, to date, they killed the neighbor's dog and one of my cats. That almost never, ever happens.

I have been learning to be a beekeeper for about four years now. To watch honeybees take care of each other is really inspiring. If man could learn to cooperate to that extent for the corporate good this world would be so much better. But that is the human condition I am afraid. If you want an easy and fairly inexpensive hobby that doesn't take much time (unlike bikes!) I highly recommend it. It is fascinating to watch and nothing beats raw honey.

These are Bald Faced Hornets and really something that shouldn't be messed with.

Bald_face_Hornet-2.jpg

They really have no sense of humor and won't hesitate to sting if bumped into- even by accident.

Honey bee's are on the other hand are sort of the :jose of the bee world and are cool about most things.
OM

These are Bald Faced Hornets and really something that shouldn't be messed with.

Bald_face_Hornet-2.jpg

They really have no sense of humor and won't hesitate to sting if bumped into- even by accident.

Honey bee's are on the other hand are sort of the :jose of the bee world and are cool about most things.
OM

Hornets are nasty fouled tempered creatures. What makes them especially dangerous is that they can sting multiple times.

Hornets are nasty fouled tempered creatures. What makes them especially dangerous is that they can sting multiple times.
I crawled through an underground yellow-jacket nest down your neck of the woods once. They were completely unreasonable about the incident :eek
OM

I was on my Sunday morning ride when a yellowjacket went right down my cossack collared Olympia and stung/bit me twice before I had a chance to pull over and crush the thing inside my shirt. I've been stung by bees before but this one was worse, and the itching yesterday was non-stop.

Was riding my first Triumph with my open helmet when one flew in to my ear area. Not sure how I didn't wreck or get stung but never rode with an open face since!

I crawled through an underground yellow-jacket nest down your neck of the woods once. They were completely unreasonable about the incident :eek
OM

I had a similar incident once while trout fishing on a creek in the mountains of Ga.. I was walking along the bank and went past a ledge rock that the yellow jackets had built a nest under. I ran for a short distance, but finally dove into a deep pool to escape them. They took extreme offense to my trespass.

Back