Thread: ABS Failure light

ABS Failure light

brake failure at startup as it should. when I roll off it goes out as it should after calibration. light stays off until I use the brakes. Then it stay on. If I shut the bike off and wait until the power to the powerlet outlet goes off and restart the bike it will goe through the same scenario. the only add on I have in the brake dept. is I have added Hyper lights to the bike. The only other electrical work I have done is to tap into the computer harness so that I can turn my fog lamps on and off by double tapping the turn signal cancel switch. This work was done for 2 years before I ever saw the lamp failure. Also 4 fuel strips have been done. 31K on this 07 GS.

Since it's an '07 it is probably the ABS motor brushes. That's huge $$$ from BMW, which inspired ModuleMasters (google'm) to come up with a way to fix it for reasonable money. They also provide a 5 year guarantee on their work.

To really tell - you need to connect it to the dealers computer, or have someone with a GS-911 scan it for you. The failure (from memory, and it may not be exactly the language reported) is something like "ABS voltage failure"..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

07 GS Failure details

I'm under the assumption that if the brushes were causing my failure light why is it the light acts as normal when it undergoes the calibration sequence on startup and the light stays OFF until I use the brakes. I thought if the brushes were the issue the calibration would fail and never successfully calibrate and turn the lamp off as I ride off. Why does the failure lamp turn off until I use the brakes? I am going to order the 911 unit tonight to check its codes but curious about the sequence I'm seeing. Most of the stuff I've found so far says their lamp is on from startup and never goes off.

Quote Originally Posted by mrspeed View Post
    I'm under the assumption that if the brushes were causing my failure light why is it the light acts as normal when it undergoes the calibration sequence on startup and the light stays OFF until I use the brakes. I thought if the brushes were the issue the calibration would fail and never successfully calibrate and turn the lamp off as I ride off. Why does the failure lamp turn off until I use the brakes? I am going to order the 911 unit tonight to check its codes but curious about the sequence I'm seeing. Most of the stuff I've found so far says their lamp is on from startup and never goes off.
    I've seen it both ways.. some the light comes on and stays on, some the light comes on after startup. The GS-911 should reveal where the problem is.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    I've seen it both ways.. some the light comes on and stays on, some the light comes on after startup. The GS-911 should reveal where the problem is.
    OK, ordered the GS 911 today, any chance a miss wired HYPER light could cause that? It seems to have started intermittently coming on after I installed them.

Where did the power source of the hyperlight tap into?
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Where did the power source of the hyperlight tap into?
    its been long enough ago now I don't recall exactly, I know I followed the instructions and they work great. I'm very cautious when working on the bike due to the CAN BUS. I successfully tapped into the harness at the computer and wired the fog lights I installed so that they come on and off by tapping the turn signal cancel switch twice. I have also added a fused and relay protected port for charging items in my tank bag. Did you have a theory on something I could have did wrong.

If all that work was done over two years ago and everything has been fine since, I would tend to lean toward the module.