• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2013 rt1200

rwl1955

I found a 2013RT w/9100 miles at a Indian dealership. They don't know anything about the bike as far as what options it has. I was able to determine it has the radio and it has the multi-controller wheel on the left handgrip. $14,000.0 and the bike has many other farkles like the rider backrest, akropovic pipe, small driving lights on the front forks, Givi trunk, valve cover guards and chrome saddlebag crash bars. Any thing I need to look for? I was able to putt around the parking lot because I didn't have my riding gear and the front end seems like it pulls to one side. Max's BMW in CT. sold the bike and did the 600 mi. checkup and the bike is warrantied until Feb., 2016. I currently ride a 2000 RT1100.

I found a 2013RT w/9100 miles at a Indian dealership. They don't know anything about the bike as far as what options it has. I was able to determine it has the radio and it has the multi-controller wheel on the left handgrip. $14,000.0 and the bike has many other farkles like the rider backrest, akropovic pipe, small driving lights on the front forks, Givi trunk, valve cover guards and chrome saddlebag crash bars. Any thing I need to look for? I was able to putt around the parking lot because I didn't have my riding gear and the front end seems like it pulls to one side. Max's BMW in CT. sold the bike and did the 600 mi. checkup and the bike is warrantied until Feb., 2016. I currently ride a 2000 RT1100.

Take it to a BMW dealer and have them check it out for you. Also, they should be able to plug in the VIN and tell you everything about the options and configuration.

Take it to a BMW dealer and have them check it out for you. Also, they should be able to plug in the VIN and tell you everything about the options and configuration.
*******The Indian dealer called Max's to verify the bike was bought there. If I buy the bike that will be my first task.

Peg Lowering Kit

I bought the 2013RT and I need to lower the footpegs. Anyone recommend a specific company/brand?

I bought the 2013RT and I need to lower the footpegs. Anyone recommend a specific company/brand?

Try googling suburban machinery. I think they make them for your bike.

You should have better luck getting answers on your 1200 over in the Hexheads forum. This one is for oilheads.

i will vouch for the suburban peg loweres. I have them on my 2011 RT and my wife has them on her 2014 RT. They are great company with fantastic products.

Peg Lowers

i will vouch for the suburban peg loweres. I have them on my 2011 RT and my wife has them on her 2014 RT. They are great company with fantastic products.
Thanks for the recommendation. I had the lowering kit on my 2000RT and Suburban looks like they make a good product. WOW! What a difference from my 2000RT to this 2013RT. I only wish the original owner had ordered the ASC. The bike has the ESAII and the audio system. Did you have to replace the shifter?

Last edited:
Oil Consumption?

The oil in the sight glass was half way when I picked up the bike. 500mi. later and no oil shows in the sight glass. Is this because the motor is still breaking in? Max's said to use semi-synthetic oil 15W-50. Is this just for break in? What are you guys running for oil, full synthetic or semi-synthetic? Should I use full synthetic after break in?

The oil in the sight glass was half way when I picked up the bike. 500mi. later and no oil shows in the sight glass. Is this because the motor is still breaking in? Max's said to use semi-synthetic oil 15W-50. Is this just for break in? What are you guys running for oil, full synthetic or semi-synthetic? Should I use full synthetic after break in?

i used BMW branded semi-syn 15w50 for the first 42000 miles, now i use Mobil 1, 15w50....my 2013 used a bit of oil during the first 36000 miles and now that it is over 57000 i find it only uses a bit of oil if i keep her "on the pipe" riding at and about 5000rpm....~4000rpm and below she uses virtually zero oil....

just my 2¢ worth....

btw, i change oil/filter GB & FD every 6000 miles....:)

Oil

i used BMW branded semi-syn 15w50 for the first 42000 miles, now i use Mobil 1, 15w50....my 2013 used a bit of oil during the first 36000 miles and now that it is over 57000 i find it only uses a bit of oil if i keep her "on the pipe" riding at and about 5000rpm....~4000rpm and below she uses virtually zero oil....

just my 2¢ worth....

btw, i change oil/filter GB & FD every 6000 miles....:)
Max's wants $14.00 a qt. for their oil which is a ripoff. My question is when should I switch to full synthetic? I'll have the 12,000mi. done and let then change the oil but after that I'm not paying $110.0 for an oil change.

Max's wants $14.00 a qt. for their oil which is a ripoff. My question is when should I switch to full synthetic? I'll have the 12,000mi. done and let then change the oil but after that I'm not paying $110.0 for an oil change.

i would keep a very close eye on the oil required between changes and let that be your guide...i measure the oil in and keep a log of what i add between changes....my RT "stopped" using oil at about 24000 miles, yours may vary....now, i only add about 5-6 oz total in 6000 miles....

wyman

The oil sight glass on these bikes has generated many threads. The level shown will vary wildly depending on when you look at it.

Do it the same way every time. IMHO, best done on the centerstand when the engine is fully warm and you have waited 5 minutes or so after shutting the engine off, for the oil to run back down out of the little passageways it travels in.

Oil Filler Cap

The oil sight glass on these bikes has generated many threads. The level shown will vary wildly depending on when you look at it.

Do it the same way every time. IMHO, best done on the centerstand when the engine is fully warm and you have waited 5 minutes or so after shutting the engine off, for the oil to run back down out of the little passageways it travels in.
********Thanks for all the advice so far but here's another dumb question. How do I remove the oil filler cap on the right cylinder head. My 2000RT's just twisted off. I tried to twist this one and nothing.

Oil Cap Removal

********Thanks for all the advice so far but here's another dumb question. How do I remove the oil filler cap on the right cylinder head. My 2000RT's just twisted off. I tried to twist this one and nothing.
Duh,now I know what that funky wrench is for. Never mind.

Back