• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Brake Failure warning

DrPaul

DrPaul
2008 K1200GT with 32,500 miles. Brake Failure warning light came on (steady, not flashing) yesterday riding home from work. No recent work done that might affect wheel ABS sensors. Last brake service was one year ago - flushed both front and rear systems, pads renewed. Brakes seem to work normally, no strange noises, etc. I'm suspecting ABS module failure unless someone on the forum has other thoughts. Anything I should do before taking bike in for dealer diagnostics? Thanks.

Brake failure warning

I have the same exact issue. 2008 K1200GT, 30,500 miles. Light came on solid. GS911 shows the following (I hope this attachment works):
GS911 fault K1200gt 28JL15.PNG

I believe it must be some type of electrical issue where there is no power to the ABS module. I tried to clear the fault code, but no dice.
Unlike DrPaul, I did just have 3 recalls completed at my dealer. Since that service work, I've had two rear brake lights go bad and this ABS fault in less than 200 miles of riding (seems odd).

Thanks for any insight.

Unlike DrPaul, I did just have 3 recalls completed at my dealer. Since that service work, I've had two rear brake lights go bad and this ABS fault in less than 200 miles of riding (seems odd).
Hmmm. Actually, I did have the bike in to the dealer three weeks ago for the rear wheel flange recall. I'm sure there is no connection ... :rolleyes

Suspect it is the ABS modulator, if it is I am sorry.
Is expensive. You have rebuild options, can't recall but think the place is in Iowa.
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...indicator-on&p=1002845&highlight=#post1002845

Yea, you're probably right. It is very interesting that others have experienced this failure shortly after the rear wheel flange replacement. I haven't carefully inspected the rear end yet but plan to do so this evening. I suspect I've ridden ~ 100 miles between the flange service and the fault so probably unrelated unless there is some wire chaffing, etc. As I recall, the ABS unit rebuild company is Module Master in Idaho. I hear they do good work for not a lot of $$ and extend a 5 year warranty. Does anyone know if I still have integrated (linked) braking action with the module failure? Thanks.

Brake failure warning

DrPaul,
It is my understanding that 2008 K1200GT's do NOT have linked brakes. That's one of the reasons I bought a 2008 instead of the 2007 model.

The fault codes above are for the motor brush fault. It's not that expensive to deal with. Send the unit to ModuleMaster in Idaho. I think the last ones I had done were maybe $2xx.

OP: you need to get the fault codes read.

The fault codes above are for the motor brush fault. It's not that expensive to deal with. Send the unit to ModuleMaster in Idaho. I think the last ones I had done were maybe $2xx.

OP: you need to get the fault codes read.
Many thanks, Anton. I'm moving in that direction. Other than no ABS, is there any risks riding the bike until the repair is done?

DrPaul,
It is my understanding that 2008 K1200GT's do NOT have linked brakes. That's one of the reasons I bought a 2008 instead of the 2007 model.

They do have the linked brakes, but not the servo assisted brakes. Same reason I chose to buy an 08 and not an earlier model.

Do you know there's no ABS? Try to skid the rear in a parking lot.

Could it be the pad wear indicator?
I have not actually tested the ABS function but that is a good idea. Pads front and rear were replaced less than a year ago. I'm not getting the pad wear indicator light on the display but will visually inspect them and check the connections. Thanks for your help.

They do have the linked brakes, but not the servo assisted brakes. Same reason I chose to buy an 08 and not an earlier model.

I still own a 2008 K1200GT.

The ABS modules of this era are prone to failure. Mine failed @ 8,00 miles. Can't tell ya how many I've seen in local shops with the l/s fairing off, waiting for their module to be returned by Module Masters.

Also,

The brakes on K1200GTs and K1300GTs are only partially linked.

Using the handle bar brake lever will give you front and rear linked.

If you use the rear brake foot pedal, you get rear brake only.

d'milan

The brakes on K1200GTs and K1300GTs are only partially linked.

Using the handle bar brake lever will give you front and rear linked.

If you use the rear brake foot pedal, you get rear brake only.

d'milan
That is correct :thumb.

Went out this afternoon and tested the ABS function by locking the rear brake on the lawn several times and there was complete lock-up; no apparent ABS function at all. So, I'm guessing I have a module failure. Is there a need to verify with reading the fault codes before removing the module and shipping off to Module Master? My dealer can't get me in for over a week to read the fault codes. Order a GS-911 and DIY (I've wanted an excuse to buy one of these for a long time!)? I've got a 4K trip planned in 4 weeks. All advice appreciated!

Module Masters in Idaho just repaired the unit on my 08 GT with the same symptoms.....identical 24048 and 24049 codes and a steady Brake Failure light.

Got the unit back last week, screwed the lines back in and bled the system, and still have the Brake Failure light!!

GS-911 offers a ton of tests that you can do to the ABS unit, and my bike's modulator seems to respond just fine. Except when I actually take it out on the road.

Debating whether or not to replace the sensor wires.......$119 apiece.

Module Masters in Idaho just repaired the unit on my 08 GT with the same symptoms.....identical 24048 and 24049 codes and a steady Brake Failure light.

Got the unit back last week, screwed the lines back in and bled the system, and still have the Brake Failure light!!

GS-911 offers a ton of tests that you can do to the ABS unit, and my bike's modulator seems to respond just fine. Except when I actually take it out on the road.

Debating whether or not to replace the sensor wires.......$119 apiece.
Did you clear the fault codes?

Curious how others are fairing with this. Sorry perhaps I am not following protocol
Hey Diaz when did you move South?

Did you clear the fault codes?

I thought I did. But after 25 miles, the bike seems to have fixed them for me. :) I put 500 miles on last Sunday riding over to MotoGP without an issue.

Bruce, we moved in May of 2014. I took a new job outside of St Louis.

Back