Thread: police crash bars on an 1100 rt

police crash bars on an 1100 rt

Thanks in advance for all helpful opinions and advice. I recently purchased an 1100 rt. I would like to install some of the crash bars that the police models have had on their bikes. Questions are as follows: 1. Do they make crash bars for the 1100? 2. Will I need to drill or modify mounting points to my existing plastic? 3. Do you have a set of crash bars you are willing to part with? Thanks again. Cheers and God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by 114975 View Post
    Thanks in advance for all helpful opinions and advice. I recently purchased an 1100 rt. I would like to install some of the crash bars that the police models have had on their bikes. Questions are as follows: 1. Do they make crash bars for the 1100? 2. Will I need to drill or modify mounting points to my existing plastic? 3. Do you have a set of crash bars you are willing to part with? Thanks again. Cheers and God bless.
    1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. No.

This is more involved than you may initially perceive.

The bars are mounted on a series of brackets inside the fairing (this doesn't include the couple dozen fasteners, washers and spacers):

The fairings get a hole above the cylinders, and two other mounting points are inside the fairing -- one of which requires the centerstand to be removed to install the rear mount.

It's definitely doable, just expensive and tedious to do starting with a civilian bike.

EDIT: My suggestion -- from a cost and installation complication start point: look into the aftermarket cylinder head protectors.

Feel free to ask more Qs.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

Here's an item you may be interested in

mneblett

EDIT: My suggestion -- from a cost and installation complication start point: look into the aftermarket cylinder head protectors.

Feel free to ask more Qs.

http://www.nationalcycle.com/z7105.html

zbmz7105r1150rt.jpg
    2000 R1100RT
    Niagara BMW Riders #298

BMWMCO #45

I'll be parting out an RT-P in the near future. I'll try to remember to post the parts here.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snookers View Post
    Here's an item you may be interested in

http://www.nationalcycle.com/z7105.html
    zbmz7105r1150rt.jpg
    +1 on the ZTechnik crash bars. I have a set on my 1100RT but happy to say they've never been tested.
    They have 3 solid mount points to the engine, are easy to keep clean and the look fits the bike really well.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT