• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1996 k1200rs

mattmiller

Just curious, personally I have a 2001 BMW R1100RL, however my brother has a 1996 K1200RS. My question is do these motors last as long as the Boxer motors. I have heard of R1100R boxers with 400,000 miles on them.
Thanks

I currently have over 180k miles on my 2003 K1200RS. Not 400k yet, but still not bad for a 12 year old ride.

I don't think the K12RS came out until 1997 - maybe you mean the K11RS?

Either way, properly maintained either can easily go 200k before any serious work is needed.

When I was at a BMWMOA national rally a few years back almost all the bikes in the "High Milage" display were K-bikes. Many had 300,000 or more miles on the odo. I think the K-bike engines have a better reputation for durability and longevity than the boxer motors do.

A brick is VERY hard to break

As I recall, Paul Glaves had a K75 with 380,000 miles on it. Both engines are like Zippo Lighters and will usually last as long as they are properly maintained. I have stayed away from the bricks after being cooked by both the 1100RS
and the 1200RS. Great engines but the Germans were not in the learning mode when American riders told them that in the US the temperature regularly goes above 80F in the summer and that their bikes were too hot to ride. That having been said, I would buy a well maintained K75 Standard or C model in a heartbeat. Tom Cutter told me the K75s were "the maytag motorcycle"
Best,

Will

Back