• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cam chain rattle question

twins4life

1997 R-1100R, 33,000 miles.

At 3-4k RPM I get what sounds like a loose cam chain. Sounds like the chain is going slack and rattling against the case.

1. Is this unique or a known bug?

2. Are the ACCT tensioners spring loaded or do I need to adjust them. If spring loaded, can I buy an aftermarket manual type?

Thanks!!

Lots of good info there, thanks.

Looks like I need to determine if I have the upgraded ACCT thingy. Come to think of it, the rattle seems to be on the left side...

Help!

11 31 7 688 629 unavailable
11 31 7 656 922 unavailable
07 11 9 963 308 $0.69

These numbers are from the AVRider thread.

Any ideas?

The rattle I can live with. It's the specks of aluminum in the oil from chain contact I dont like. Sure the oil filter grabs them but only after the oil pump picks them up and they have been splashed around the inside.

tensioners

If you live with the rattle you run the chance off destroying the guide rails the chains run in. These are plastic, strong plastic but still plastic. Take off the valve covers and inspect these rails especialy the lower left one. If this one breaks the case has to be split to replace it. This is not a fun job. Don't ask how I know. Sometimes noises are trying to tell you something.

Jim Creighton
Williamston MI.

why not just replace it with the one they sell now? Why anguish over rebuilding it, see if the R12 one will work.
Cancel that last thought, they havent been around long enough to see if they would be any better.

New idea, since the parts wernt available I tried a different approach.

I took the tensioner out, measured the spring free length and stretched it 1/4".

Seems to be quieter now.

new springs

I bought new springs for .50 cents each and compared old ones before replacing them,old ones with about 50,000 miles we're about 1-2 coils shorter than new.New one will last longer than stretched ones I think.

Tim

Agreed, new springs are in order for both sides but stretching the original spring as a quick way to see the effect.

Back