• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Can someone please tell me what this plugs into?

beemerdood

Attached to the negative and positive poles of the battery on my newly purchased 2011 R1200RT (I'm the second owner) is a fused (20 amp) cable. Here are some photos of it.

cable1.jpg

cable2.jpg

cable3.jpg

Can anyone tell me specifically what this is for? I'm guessing a heated vest or something along that line. The excess cable is bound to the frame with an "Ortronics" hook and loop strip. I realize that the Velcro band may not be related to the product.

WOW! that was quick!

Thanks, Lee, for all the info. I have a heated vest that's about 20 years old but it has two contacts that are the same, not one for positive and negative. I guess with that older technology it didn't make any difference which way the warming electrons ran.

Also many thanks for including the link. I thought I was going to have to hook up new leads for my Battery Tender, but now I see that I can use the one that's already on there.

I have a heated vest that's about 20 years old but it has two contacts that are the same, not one for positive and negative.

That sounds like Widder and it will probably be hard to find a cable that will work for you.
It will look like this
SFC.jpg

It might be easier to treat yourself to a new heated jacket liner :)

It wouldn't be too hard or expensive to change the connector on the old heated liner to match the new style connector. Polarity on heated clothing does not matter.

It wouldn't be too hard or expensive to change the connector on the old heated liner to match the new style connector. Polarity on heated clothing does not matter.

True for the garment. True for an on-off switch. Unless a pure rheostat (variable resistor) probably not true for a controller.

You mean I can't just reverse the polarity on my Gerbing and have it get colder during the summer???:idea

:dance:dance:dance

WOW! that was quick!

Thanks, Lee, for all the info. I have a heated vest that's about 20 years old but it has two contacts that are the same, not one for positive and negative. I guess with that older technology it didn't make any difference which way the warming electrons ran.

Also many thanks for including the link. I thought I was going to have to hook up new leads for my Battery Tender, but now I see that I can use the one that's already on there.
Welcome to the forum!
It's a good group that has seen a lot of things :eek
Gary

Thanks for the welcomes. I have a "spin off" question now. The fuse that's on the coax cable is a 20 amp, I understand that heated clothing takes various size fuses, depending on the brand and how many pieces of clothing are put into the system.

The Battery Tender that I'm going to use has a 7.5 amp fuse.

What's the best way, perhaps I mean "elegant or proper" way to set it up so that I can use the Battery Tender and heated clothing?

I think that wiring new leads into the battery with the SAE fitting (and the 7.5 amp fuse), AND keeping the coax fitting for when and if I get around to getting some heated clothing, is the best way. (That is, I'd have two types of connectors present, one for each type of accessory). That way, using each connector for the appropriate item will ensure that the proper fuse is in place for each of them.

What say you folks?

I wouldn't worry about it. I just took a look, but can't find, my Gerbing info. As I remember, the Gerbing controller and wiring came with an assortment of fuses. The recommended fuse size had a relationship to whether you were running a vest, jacket, gloves, pants or a combination of all of the heated clothing. 20A was the fuse for the full compliment of heated gear.
OM

Back