Thread: Oil filter for F700GS

Oil filter for F700GS

Just purchased a used 2014 F700GS and am wanting to do an oil/filter change before taking it on a trip.
    I would like to have recommendations for readily available (WalMart, NAPA, ect.) oil filters for the F700GS.
    Thanks.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bmw700gs View Post
    am wanting to do an oil/filter change. I would like to have recommendations for readily available (WalMart, NAPA, ect.) oil filters for the F700GS.
    Your going to get lots of wise cracks and some good advice with that question. With my mechanic experience, make sure the filter is designed for your engine. Not just one that looks the same and will screw on.
    Max

Quote Originally Posted by bmw700gs View Post
    Just purchased a used 2014 F700GS and am wanting to do an oil/filter change before taking it on a trip.
    I would like to have recommendations for readily available (WalMart, NAPA, ect.) oil filters for the F700GS.
    Thanks.
    Yeah, Maxscycle is correct on comments to follow- anyway.
    My opinion, just buy the BMW filter- example from Bob's-
    http://store.bobsbmw.com/product/oil...s--f650gs-twin
    Yeah it's, at first glance, a lot of money for a small filter but.....It's the correct one for the bike and the best chance of no trouble.
    On the cost factor- if you had any lawn equipment of any size, the costs for filters is comparable.
    I just did oil change, crush washer and filter with all BMW products- shipped in from Max BMW. Kinda costly but again, it's the right product for the bike.

This thread may help you-
    http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....tructional-DVD

OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Worth it

I concur with Om. What's the point of saving a couple bucks on something that "should work".
    BMW doesn't stand for "cheaply made over priced" it stands for Bring Money With. OEM parts
    work properly. The only thing cheap on a BMW is the crack pot attached to the handlebars.
    Will Stagg Central Coast of Commiefornia
    2015 F700GS
    Yamaha TW200 adventure bikes (multiple offender)

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    BMW filters are most likely made by Mann or Mahle. I use K&N, but would consider Bosch, Mann or Mahle, all make premium quality filters.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Contrary point of view.

Do you hear of class action suits against oil filter manufacturers over engine failures due to cheap filters?

I haven't.

There are many filters that are the correct size that will work.

If you change oil and filters at 3K miles like many do, wasting oil in the process, because their grandfather and father did, then even a Fram filter is overkill.

If the oil you use meets the specs then use it.
    Ride Well

Understanding Bud's point- I have a Dodge with a Cummins Turbo Diesel. If I try to buy by application I get one number. If I cross the OEM number I get another. Some things are not worth the risk to me. YMMV
    BTW, if I do cross a part, it has to cross both ways.
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200