• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding Conditions Around Williston ND?

jimsk

Hi all. Am thinking about US2 across ND as a way home from the rally in Billings. I know a few years ago the area was a mess from the oil boom, now that time has passed and the boom cooled off a bit is it still a problem to go through there? Where I live (NE Ohio) has it's own oil boom, and I've seen what happens to road surfaces from the heavy truck traffic.

Can someone familiar with things around there offer a suggested alternative route through ND...? How far South (or North?) do I need to go to avoid this?

Thanks in advance.

Jim
Canton, OH

Hi all. Am thinking about US2 across ND as a way home from the rally in Billings. I know a few years ago the area was a mess from the oil boom, now that time has passed and the boom cooled off a bit is it still a problem to go through there? Where I live (NE Ohio) has it's own oil boom, and I've seen what happens to road surfaces from the heavy truck traffic.

Can someone familiar with things around there offer a suggested alternative route through ND...? How far South (or North?) do I need to go to avoid this?

Thanks in advance.

Jim
Canton, OH

I was thru there recently. Still lots of BIG truck traffic and it moves FAST! Lots of dirt, mud and debris on the secondary roads so be alert. And the worst of all, NO rooms available for about 100 miles in any direction around Williston. Best to keep moving until you get to central Montana. Good luck.

That was what I was afraid of. I may just pick a route well south of there, but really don't know how far south I need to go to get around it. I may have to drop down to I-94, as much as that pains me to slab it.

Jim

consider SD-200

It is about 1/2 way between US-2 and I-94. Enough small towns for food and fuel. US-85 Through the Teddy Roosevelt Reserve will take you North to continue on SD-200 or South to I-94. If you continue on SD-200, you might MT-16 to Culberson to get back on US-2.
Just sayin'
jim

He means North Dakota 200 - between US 2 in ND and I-94 in ND. I personally would go through South Dakota on 212.

Oops!

Yeah, PGlaves has it right. It is North Dakota 200. Too many miles in SD last week. 212 is also nice.
jim

I would not hesitate to just go through Williston, ND. The roads are fine, sure there is oil field traffic, but it isn't that bad. Everything I read has it blown all out of proportion. The roads are good, the traffic is no faster than you, I'm sure, and it doesn't last forever. Have you ever been through a bigger city? This is way less risky, in my opinion. Quit listening to the fear mongers. I ride this boom area all the time and seldom even come close to seeing problems while riding. :thumb

Back