• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Long trips?

My 2001 dakar hauls me (225lbs nekkid) and my camping gear up and down the Cascade Mountains running regular grade gas with nary a ping.
34276120-M.jpg

YMMV

Steve

F650 comfort & reliability

I have ridden a 2003 F650CSA about 4000 miles in the last 12 months, mostly two-up. Longest day about 250 miles by destination choice. Average 60mpg+, no problems except a flat tire. A better seat would help. I made sheepskin seat pads similar to the Alaskan Leather ones and it made all the difference. The thumper engine sound takes some getting used to but grows on one over time. Less engine vibration than a R1150R. Light weight makes great maneuverability in traffic. Installed a Garmin Quest GPS, bags, a second power outlet, connection for a jumper cable (not yet used) and a modulated driving light. Previous bikes were R50/2 and current other bike is a K75S. I am coming to believe the F650CS is the most underrated BMW made. Plenty of power above about 3000 rpm and certainly not a "girlie bike." Also like the bag compartment where the gas tank usually is. Great for map and camera storage. Also is less expensive to buy, insure and maintain than R or K bikes.

My buddy just borrowed my wife's 650 this past weekend and we rode lanes and trails...260 one day and 280 the next day. He said that he was comfortable the whole way. He sat on that pad from 8:30 am to about 6:00pm each day...well when he wasn't up on the pegs on the trails...hehehehe. That bike is just amazing.

I rode 3,200 miles on a '99

Summer before last, I took my stock '99 f650 from Seattle to Denver and back (stopping off in Spokane on the return leg for the National Rally). 300-450 miles a day. Everything was stock... windshield, pipes, seat, chain and sprockets... I used a full set of RKA bags, tank bag, tank saddle bags and rear panniers. I put the rest of my luggage in a river bag and strapped it behind me. My backside was able to stand up to the stock seat although vibration at the end of the days ride made my hands tingle a little. I stayed off freeways as much as I could and didn't do any off-road stuff, using Metzeler street tires. Wind was a definite problem especially going through Wyoming - the longest day of my life was battling the heat and wind from the Grand Tetons to Rawlins. I would've liked a little more power because I was on a schedule. My bike did the job admirably with one glitch... after a long day through the desert heat on the return leg, I reached a motel and the bike quit and wouldn't start. The nearest BMW dealer was over 150 miles away in Salt Lake City. Next morning, after a few troubleshooting ideas, the problem was solved by rapping the carbs with a wrench - fired right up (which shouldn't be an issue with the new 650). I think if you're going to use a small bike to do a long journey, the BMW 650 is the answer... just ask this guy. He did 90,000 miles on his.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002691677_biker19m.html

If you want long distance riding, go over to the Adventure website http://www.advrider.com/forums/ and look for 'Stricking Viking bumming the world' thread. Glenn has been riding a F650 around for quite a while.

riderR1150GSAdv said:
If you want long distance riding, go over to the Adventure website http://www.advrider.com/forums/ and look for 'Stricking Viking bumming the world' thread. Glenn has been riding a F650 around for quite a while.

:nod

If you book club guys are looking for another book to read, try Two Wheels through Terror, SV's book.

KBasa said:
:nod

If you book club guys are looking for another book to read, try Two Wheels through Terror, SV's book.

i'll second that one. that book will give you pause, and will also entertain you.

go ahead ride the 650 gs

I rode my 2004 F650GS from Toronto Canada to Denver Co and back.5000miles and it only demanded 1/2 a quart of oil.Some of this mileage was through 100 degrees F in Kansas.

The bike is very comfortable,even if you ride it 15 hrs a day.
It does a lot better on small roads than highway.
You may need a better than the stock windshield ( i have a ceebaileys and I am happy with it).

I've also taken the single fro Toronto to Washington, West Virginia, Boston.
Point it and go. Avoid Interstate and you'll do well. On the highways it'll take 75-80 all day.

Can't tell you much about dirt road.

Call when you're here

94980 said:
I am considering an F650GS and was wondering how they handle long trips. Are they comfortable to ride. Do they work well at freeway speeds for extended periods. Duribility? I have an R1150RT right now and like the bike but I want something I can ride on unimproved roads and fire-trails as well as the freeway. I was also considering the R1200GS but I think it might be a little too heavy for some of the terrain that I want to ride on. Any help would be apprceiated.
Gary

Lon trips on F 650 GS

I've made 10K miles (Over 6 mos.) on my 2003 F 650 GS without any discomfort nor break. Its performance is amazing on/off road.

Back