• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Long trips?

I am considering an F650GS and was wondering how they handle long trips. Are they comfortable to ride. Do they work well at freeway speeds for extended periods. Duribility? I have an R1150RT right now and like the bike but I want something I can ride on unimproved roads and fire-trails as well as the freeway. I was also considering the R1200GS but I think it might be a little too heavy for some of the terrain that I want to ride on. Any help would be apprceiated.
Gary

I can say that I have ridden one for about 300 miles at a clip before, and the only discomfort for me was the stock saddle. If it were my bike I would get a Russel saddle or another custom saddle for real distance. The highway speed is awesome, even with my big butt on it I can cruise very comfy at 75-80 without breaking a sweat and still return 46 mpg.

The real surprise on these bikes is the amount of grunt they have, very impressive torque indeed. The hardest thing I had to deal with when my wife bought it was the stock sound, it really sounds odd...I have since heard an aftermarket pipe and it really improves the sound. Compared to my twin the single has a slight different characteristic though, you know, when the throttle lets off the engine decelerates differently probably a difference in flywheel weight etc, Flash412 really is an expert on these beasts. As he recommended to me, go check out the chain gang forum and have a looksy.

I have the 1150 GS and at times I almost wished I had bought the 650 Dakar because these things are so much fun to ride, and you can get all kinds of aftermarket options too like with the big GS.

In short I am sold, and with a saddle change I would ride one to Alaska tomorrow.

Ride to Alaska!

Well that sounds like what I am looking for. I suppose I will have to go to the local dealer and have an extended test ride. Perhaps I should also try the 12GS. The 650GS still sounds like a good choice.
Gary

Another idea maybe to rent one for the weekend or for the day. Do a search for rental companies as many are begining to consider the 650 as a viable option now. When I was out west earlier in the year I saw all kinds of 650 rrental bikes on the road. Although if the dealer will give you one over night get a Dakar if the height suits you, and go have fun...hehehe

94980 said:
I am considering an F650GS and was wondering how they handle long trips. Are they comfortable to ride. Do they work well at freeway speeds for extended periods. Duribility? I have an R1150RT right now and like the bike but I want something I can ride on unimproved roads and fire-trails as well as the freeway. I was also considering the R1200GS but I think it might be a little too heavy for some of the terrain that I want to ride on. Any help would be apprceiated.
Gary

I test rode the GS dakar during the demo ride down at the RA rally last week...a very cool ride indeed. I was/am looking for similar things in a second ride...a little rough road riding (plans of a grand trip to alaska someday) but mainly it will serve for my commute and take some of the miles I am currently putting on my GT.

The bike rides great on the road, but is nothing like a twin or a K (not that it's a bad thing). The sound is for sure different (hey it's one cylinder), but it is not unplesent in anyway. I kind of liked the stock seat (though I only put 20 miles on it). It was nice because it was big and wide (meaning you could slide back and forth).

If you go with a dakar, be aware of the seat height. I am 6'1" and the seat was for sure higher than what I was use to....that's what you get with a 21" front wheel :) I about this time next year, and I will start looking for a used dakar (post-2002 that has abs).

Having just ridden my RED F650 from Kansas to New Mexico and then to Tennessee on the way home I can tell you it is one sweet ride! But then I knew that when I rode a YELLOW one in Africa for two months last fall.

It's especially sweet when the road construction turns to road destruction ; ) Or for that little trail to the side of the highway when you wonder what's over the hill. . . .

Voni
sMiling

94980 said:
I am considering an F650GS and was wondering how they handle long trips. Are they comfortable to ride. Do they work well at freeway speeds for extended periods. Duribility? Gary

I'd say so.

Someone I know has been through Europe, Africa, Asia, the US and now South America on his F650.

On two trips alone, he put 82,496 kms (51,271 miles) on his F650 with only very minor issues, issues you probably won't encounter due to the easier life your F650 might experience.

Long rides

I rode my Dakar from NYC - Mexico - NYC in under 3 weeks. It does get significantly more vibrations over 65 mph and strong winds will keep you alert, but otherwise I was comfortable the whole trip. I think tires make a big difference also. If you are regularly doing long trip this is not the bike for it, given all the other options, but it is a comfortable bike on long trip.

Across Montana in November

I'm in the process of planning a cross-crounty ride during November - starting from Alexandria, VA. Would appreciate information about the weather conditions this time of year across S. Dakota and Montana. Bottom line, what's the possibility of crossing Montana without hitting snow?

61998 said:
I'm in the process of planning a cross-crounty ride during November - starting from Alexandria, VA. Would appreciate information about the weather conditions this time of year across S. Dakota and Montana. Bottom line, what's the possibility of crossing Montana without hitting snow?

In November your chance is slim to none that you will not hit snow.

I came across MT a month ago and I did manage to turn the vest off for a whole 3 hours during the peak of day....snow is a coming and has arrived in places already

Getting better with every ride .....

Having owned an R90S many years ago, I took the Basic Rider Course this May and then acquired an '05 F650GS in August to get back into biking again. It has been a blast reacquainting myself with the two-wheel experience. I'm finding the F650GS a very capable motorcycle. My oldest son also purchased an F650GS ('03) which makes for the occasional father/son bonding.

I have not yet taken any long trips and purposely staying clear of most of the major freeways, I intend to chart out some secondary roads for weekend rides in the near future.

Good luck with your F650__. I see an Escondido address. Perhaps I'll see you on the road sometime.

Mike

i've ridden a f650gs as a loaner bike and pleasantly surprised about it's ride. one of the first things i plan on doing when i get out to new mexico is to set one up for a ride to alaska that i plan on doing this summer. i seem to remember seeing a plastic 10 gallon gas tank for this bike, is is still available? i'm just dissapointed that the bike needs premium fuel (that's what it said on the gas fller cap). i figure i will put on a touring windshield, a rick mayer saddle (this time, i can actually go out there for a fitting) jesse bags and touring trunk. i should be good to go. it'll also be a good bike for me to explore some of the great desert roads of the southwest too. i think it will make a great addition to my r1200rt. :clap

bklyn pete said:
snip i'm just dissapointed that the bike needs premium fuel (that's what it said on the gas fller cap). snip :clap

Forget what it says on the cap, most of us sixfiddy riders find the bikes run better with regular unleaded onboard. Check out f650.com and do a search for "fixes to surging and stalling"

Steve

sgborgstrom said:
Forget what it says on the cap, most of us sixfiddy riders find the bikes run better with regular unleaded onboard. Check out f650.com and do a search for "fixes to surging and stalling"

Steve

that's interesting, i wouldn't be concerned with surging and stalling, more with pinging at load. i know my r1200rt has a variable timing device that can adjust for lower octane fuel that i can use in a bind, but you do lose power. i usually trust engineers to know what fuels their engines run on. don't get me wrong, if it does run on regular without any major consequences, then great. i just wouldn't want to find out somewhere on the alcan hwy.

Back